Prepared Society Forum banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
I want to get a 28' Uhaul truck and convert it to an RV. There are quite a few write-ups floating around the internet about them. Unfortunately the diesels are becoming scarce, and the gassers measure fuel consumption in gallons per mile (exaggeration).
I've always thought a 40 foot step van would be pretty spiffy.
Especially if you could give it 4 wheel drive.
sliding glass doors at the rear with a fold down deck that locks everything in place when folded up.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
I think a microhome is a terrible idea. High cost per square foot and no room for stuff. That's a big deal if you're a prepper.

·
Supporting Member
819 Posts
I think I will be going with a container. I have two already and built a bedroom in one of them just to see what it would feel like. Working on getting my BOL straight so when the next container is brought in it can be put in place then the other two can be put were they need to be.
My son in law is thinking about getting one too so they will have their own place ready at the BOL.

They are a bit steep in price on the outset but, when you only have so many hands and so little time to work on things, It justifies the price.

·
Not so new
581 Posts
I bought a "trailer" and have spent a good deal of money on restoration but I "SO" want an small underground real home....SO.......Instead of buying a container(later on) to use for a "shelter" and doing everything that needed to be done,I've thought of building a space in the ground with those new insulated blocks,foundation,and the whatever rooftop to hold the dirt off the trailer roof(which all total, has been waterproofed)then slide the trailer into the space and backfill.I've utilized the trailer for my tornado shelter and plenty of room for all my preps too.Course this is all a maybe,what if,and still in the dream stage but ,hey if I'm winning the lotto,Yipee for me!

·
Jack of all trades?
8,397 Posts
I think a microhome is a terrible idea. High cost per square foot and no room for stuff. That's a big deal if you're a prepper.
No biggie.
When I lived in my 12x28 cabin, I had a large steel building near that kept all the big stuff.

A small square footage is easier to heat and cool. Most preps are not temp sensitive and can be stored in an outbuilding.

·
Rest In Peace
971 Posts
Lost another post hitting the SPACE BAR! What the heck is wrong here?

Yes, I agree to only heating what space you LIVE IN. Keep the food in a root cellar, the tools, farm/garden items and such in an outbuilding, and that covers it. Our vehicles always did live outside. Only the tractor deserves to be inside!

Oh yeah. And, get RID of all the useless junk most of us store in our homes at an outrageous cost for heating, cooling, and mortgage payments. Downsize and get rid of the mortgage, too!

·
Premium Member
3,583 Posts
I have a LOT of stuff, mostly tools and materials but I am also sentimental and love history so I have tons. Literally truckloads:). I have been most happy in a small/tiny/micro home. When I see so many people get rid of stuff that they may need and going on a minimalist rampage it make me shake my head. The key, as mentioned above is to keep the storage outside of your actual living space. This is better in many ways, as mentioned only heat/cool what needs to be, things can be stored at a cooler temperature than in a living space, less risk of losing everything, etc and yet everything is there when you need it.

I have lived in a "bunkhouse" that was something like 8x16, a travel trailer, and a 24x24 cabin and enjoyed everyone. My favorite is by far the cabin of course but realistically it is much more room than one person needs. Many families around here had a "summer house" that was much smaller and was used in warmer weather when people are outside most of the time anyways, this worked good for storage because you could shift stuff from one to the other depending on which was used.

The cost/square foot doesn't really matter imo, that's like saying "how much is that car worth/pound". Most people building these are spending a tiny fraction of what a "normal" house costs, that is the significant factor. I do have concerns with many of them though, people don't typically anchor them, they often have a low mass (thermal and structural), and many are putting looks at a higher priority than functionality or durability.

gabbyj310, I really like that idea, if you have a hillside to built it into it will probably be easier. Other than a backhoe not much in the way of special equipment would be required. Of course it could be re-purposed at any time as an excellent storage space or even framed in to make a living/working space on it's own.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts