Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Survivalists,

I am a Swedish visual artist who has been interested in survivalism for many years. First of all, I would like to apologize for my inadequate English, I hope you can overlook that.

What I am especially interested in is the "story telling" part of survivalism. I am truly fascinated by all the different scenarios/states in society to which each individual's preparations are connected. I mainly work with different types of narrative structures myself, which is why I am interested in that part of survivalism at the moment.

I would be very grateful if You would like to share your stories/fictions with me in the amount of text that suits you. Even the shortest text would be of great interest to me. What exactly has happened to society before you grab your BOB and go (for example)? What do you do, where do you go, how does it look, how does it feel? What are your impressions of society as you move away from home? Etcetera.

Text is definitely a very welcome way of depicting your story. But if you have alternative ways of expressing yourself, drawing, painting, filming etc. I would be very interested in taking part of this as well! Please e-mail me and we can discuss how we could solve that.

For me it is very important to underline that I do not want to exploit neither You as an individual or survivalism as such. All I want is take part of Your narratives, narratives told by wielders themselves, to be able to experience and learn about survivalism through them.
Feel free to be anonymous if you like. As you can see, I am too pre-cautious using my real name online. Therefore I truly understand if that's Your wish as well.

You could either write your story here or e-mail it to me. If e-mailed to me, I ensure You that your identity will be treated with 100% secrecy if that is what you like.

I hope to hear from You.

Best regards,

Swedishartist

[email protected]

·
Scavenger deluxe
6,686 Posts
You're better at English than I am.LOL
What do you want to know?

I could send you a short I wrote,but its NSFW.
its based on just what you asked about.PM me.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Howdy !

Speaking for me...I think your English is dead solid perfect...It's your American that needs some work..:D...I ain't got any idea what it is your talking about.. maybe if you explain it like your talking to 6th graders ( which you kinda are) We or at least I would maybe grasp it...

as for Story telling? look at all the stories in this section.. anyway...WELCOME !! and hope you can get whatever it is your looking for...

HB

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your positive response on my English and for being welcoming! Feel free to improve my American as well!;) In Sweden we're taught English from being kids, which I guess makes us OK at communicating through text. But I know it's not perfect!

I'll try to be more clear about what I'm searching for:

One aspect of survivalism that is very interesting to me is the fact that many people have their own imaginative scenarios of what might happen to society that would force them to bug out, hide away in retreats etc. From what I understand, it is not unusual that people have their own "narratives" around these events, similar to short novels, either written down or in their own heads. It's these stories that I would like you to share with me.

I've seen and read some of the stories in this forum (which basically is exactly what I am looking for), but it's really important to me that I have the permission from the "originator" to use the text in my work. I simply want a dialogue and your permission instead of just stealing them, which would be very wrong. I truly respect peoples creativity and integrity.

Now I wont publish the texts, but use them as inspiration, or use fragments of them in my own work which often takes the shape of installation art, sometimes incorporating text.

So, it really comes down to some kind of good will. If you think it could be interesting to share your imagination and fictions with me, I would be very happy to take part of them. And as I wrote before, it's totally fine with me if you want to be anonymous!

Am I being too fuzzy?

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
Do what I did when I wrote my story - I looked to the newspaper about events that are happening and write a story about those events - doesn't matter local or international. Then, I took a mix of science-fiction and mixed it with science-fact, tossed in a good measure of "people-problems" and then started writing my story ...

I'll give you a start to writing your story -- Volcano in Iceland erupts, splits the crust of the earth straight towards Sweden - oceans spill into the split straight for the center of the earth. Earth-quakes ensue.

What would you do?

What would your friends do?

What would your government do?

·
Aesops Ant (not Aunt)
1,499 Posts
Im curious but Im having a real hard time understanding what it is that you are planning to do with these stories. Forgive me if I am a cynic but it almost sounds more like a psychological survey than it does an art project. Surely if you are a real artist your desire is to create art yourself not to borrow it (even with permission) from others. I dont mean to put you down but I am skeptical of your intentions if I understand them at all... which I may not.

If I misunderstand perhaps you can give us a link to an example of what you intend to do with these 'stories'?

Again, I may be totally misconfuzzled :nuts:

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
This sounds tacky

and I don't mean it to...but you might write one yourself about some whacko ( crazy guy) who decides to shoot a bunch of folks on an Island and nobody can stop him because nobody but him is armed and how in a free society where the people have the right to be armed this turd would have been stopped real fast...

Example..the guy who shot and killed 8 people a couple of weeks ago back east was shot and killed by a policeman ..AND! an armed citizen !!

Everyday life is it's own SHTF story for somebody every second of the day... how one deals with it depends on how prepared one is by pre-planning and pre thinking ...
As for me..I still don't have a clue what it is your asking for.. and actually why?.. do you have a web site? or some place where we can SEE your ART...

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
Yes, it's puzzling to figure out exactly what you're trying to do, swedishartist. You want our ideas of scenarios but you don't want to publish them, you want to write something yourself?

Here's an American-English lesson... We generally don't call ourselves survivalists. Here in the USA the government and media have given survivalists a bad name as being anti-government violet militia type people. We are not. We're peace-loving people who WILL fight to protect if we have to, but mostly just want to be prepared with the items and knowledge we'll need. We call ourselves "Preppers"! :D Now you know an American-English slang word!

A lot of talented people have written stories of varying length and posted them on this forum. They're copyrighted by the authors, but you can read them to understand how people here think, and get ideas for your own work.

·
Aesops Ant (not Aunt)
1,499 Posts
Everyday life is it's own SHTF story for somebody every second of the day... how one deals with it depends on how prepared one is by pre-planning and pre thinking ...
You hit the nail on the head HozayBuck! I know bad stuff happens all the time -- thats life. I just want to be prepared when/if it happens to me!

·
Just getting started. Always.
1,810 Posts
Cynical (paranoid) response

Sorry man, if youre legit I apologize in advance. Good luck with your...whatever it is.

I got a story for ya:
Fed/narc/snitch signs up on prepper forum, calling people survivalists seeking to get a response (oh, crap, what did I just do?) and poses as a Swedish artist. Who could make that up? Gets people to give up some info, and in general see whats in their heads and reports it to some three letter agency. Turtle (hah! :D) comes to my house and drags me off kicking and screaming. Turtle I hope you get a laugh out of that, cuz I am cracking up, literally.

That said, your English is pretty damned good. Maybe contact those in the Fiction forum and ask them for permission. I've always wanted to write.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
I' seem to remember

a few other times we in the forum were contacted by others who wanted something from the writers or posters..can't remember who, what when..but it happened..and the responses were about the same...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, where to start..?

First of all, I apologize if I have offended any of you by calling you the wrong things or even by posting this thread. As I said, I have been interested in this subject for quite some time, but I am not a part of it, but still eager to learn.

Secondly, I understand that you would like to see my work to be able to trust my intentions or to judge the quality of it. Unfortunately I'd prefer not to go public with my real identity in any kind of online forum simply because you feel quite exposed to strangers. I suppose that's the same reason for most people in forums having nick names and sparse personal information.
However, if people are interested in developing private and honest dialogues with me, of course I am willing to show my work and to give a deeper description of it.

Why I'm asking for permission to use texts:

In my artistic work, knowledge and research are big parts of implementing projects. Before I make any kind of object or image, I gather information which serves as foundations for my pieces. This does not in any way mean that I use or copy all this information in my finished work, even though parts of it might be incorporated in for example assemblages - so-called appropriation. This is why I ask for permission to "use" the material.
I gather information to learn and understand different viewpoints, not to exploit or abuse anyone.

If anyone would like to share their fictions with me and if parts of that fiction would end up as small part of my project, I'd be happy to either give credit to or anonymize the author, depending on the authors own will.

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
I think that what most of us (those of us who have written stories) are trying to get across is that you can use anything as inspiration for your story and build the story from there - that is what we have done already. Don't try to take what we have written and re-work it into your own - start with something fresh and make it your own ...

·
Registered
28 Posts
OK, you talk all around the questions but don't answer any. You are a politician, lol. You won't tell us what you are doing or why you want people to talk to you, but you want "permission" to use what they say to you? We don't get to know what kind of "object" or "image" (oh come on!) that you are making but you want permission to use the "material".
You don't actually speak "Engish". We need a lawyer before we agree to what you are asking because you refuse to speak plainly.
If I was all of you, I wouldn't give permission for this person to use anything until you know exactly what they want to use it for.

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
The stories I have posted in this section, the fiction/non-fiction, are copyrighted and I retain those rights and have not given permission to anyone to copy or use them. However, those who are inspired by anything I wrote, and thereafter write their own work, good for them!

Swedish person, I don't think you're going to find what you want here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK, I didn't expect this great skepticism.

I now realize how hard it is to fully explain your work, interests and intentions in a language that isn't your first. I'm reading my older posts to see what I have written to make you guys suspicious, but I guess it is hard to analyze your own words.

So, if any of you would like to talk to me further, please PM me and I will answer as good as I can!

Best/

Swedishartist

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
SA...

Don't take any of this personal it's just that those of us in this site are here because we all believe "Something Evil This Way Comes" and we are all too one degree or another "Paranoid" some much more then others.. :club::peep:... As for me..I'm not paranoid in the least! You see paranoids "Think" somethings after them..while "I" know something is... so...knowing means I'm not paranoid..means I know there is a good reason to be watchful...:D

Now a word of advice.. why not stop asking and start reading.. this whole forum is open to the world.. what we write is read by many thousands more then just members...

If it's posted in here read it, learn from it... if learning is what your wanting..

"IF" your asking for some body to say .."HI..I'm Joe Blow I live at #*$^$ street in Blow hard Kansas and I have 50 guns and a ton of ammo and 5 years worth of food and I have no close neighbors and no friends and no dogs and no locks on my doors..OH!! I have a big red sign on my lawn that says "TARGET!!" ...well good luck with that... ain't gonna happen OR... you might not wanna visit!..

We are what you see in the threads.. no ..well , not much BS... and to my knowledge anything posted on the net is free game..except copyrighted stuff and I believe that can be used if you give credit to the writers... or if you were making a movie then ya gotta pay!!..

Otherwise...just chill , hang out and start adding to the site...if your really interest in prepping then learn and share... we all know something... otherwise I think your hitting a dry hole..
Have a good one!
HB

·
Registered
71 Posts
I know this is an old post, but I just read it. LOL, LOL

At least that sounds better than, Hello, I'm from Nigeria and want to learn about survival. Can I have your name, address, telephone number/and or credit card number and a brief list of everything you have and possibly where it is located?
Thanks in advance, this will help me a lot.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts