Your never safe

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by longtime, Nov 22, 2009.

1. longtime

longtime Well-Known Member

I have been prepairing for a long time. I have also just started again. You need to protect your supplies and equipment. My wife and I lost over 20 years of preparation to kids with a gas can, it could just as easily been a natural disaster. Since we are out in the country, it was a total loss. That loss included 2 4X4's, food for my wife and I and our un prepaired extended family for over a year, firearms and reloading supplies (at current prices and limited supply that really hurts) and all the tools and equipment we accumulated over the years that made us very self sufficient (full machine and wood shop).

You are not safe in a normal structure. We are rebuilding, the shop is now concrete and steel, the house is still stick framed but we will be adding a concrete detached storm cellar for long term supplies. I know that the cellar is not realistic for most, but you need to do something to protect your supplies. I considered a strong room in our basement, but it still might burn. I also considered buring it in small containers, did not like the limited access that offered. Storage in the basement (as we are now) is only sligthly better than no storage, it needs to be protected if possible.

2. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

Holy cow. That's awful. Did they catch the kids who did it?

3. kyfarmer

kyfarmer Well-Known Member

There is a disconnect with today's youth, lack of apathy for the human condition. Story after story of kid's watching someone being beaten,robed,raped,murdered and it's o well glad it's not me, people can blame tv,games,sport's it does not matter the lack of respect for their fellow man or woman is a fact and it's here. :mad:

4. longtime

No, I was told by the deputy that arson is a low priroty crime. They made a minor effort until my insurance company got mad and then it was to late, everything had washed way. But it did not prevent them from investigating us for the crime.

I know it was city kids, all they had to do to get past my gate was lift it off the post. They unbolted the hinge, real stupid.

Again, you need to protect from stupid. If you have several thousand dollars in food and supplies. I have seen small concrete storm shealters for sell for that price. If you are handy and don't mind working you can build your own for less.

5. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum Longtime:wave:, it just takes time and labor to build your own shelter, that's what I'm doing. A little at a time, mine is under an existing slab so I have to haul out the waste soil one 5gal bucket at a time after jackhammering loose. I know building supplies have gone up, but if you look around you can find deals, even mix your own concrete instead of buying redi-crete bags. I use to be nearer the city and had a friend who worked at a concrete yard, he would call me when they had left over concrete in trucks and needed to clean them out, I had the forms ready for this all the time. Pick up used lumber from construction sites like I did along with what was left from our house construction. Construction sites will be glad to give away cut offs and concrete forms after they are done usually. You would not be surprised how wasteful some contractors are. Good luck on your project.

6. longtime

Thanks,

I learned to late to protect myself. I just wanted to make sure people know what can happen. While you can always lose, it's smart to protect yourself from what you can. A hidden concrete structure should stop all but the most extreme.

7. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your misfortune Longtime. Most city kids today seem to show very little respect. I would like to build a small obscure shelter in a safe area far away from the general populace. I figure city kids wont come around, also don't want a driveway back there. The more over grown the better. I have been accumulating stuff and putting it here and there, that way it all can't be gotten at the same time. I like the idea of renting a storage unit near by your bug out place and also photographing your shelter as you build it to prove it is yours. I plan on growing vegitation all around my place when I build so it eventually becomes indestinguishable from the land it is on. I guess you just can't be too careful.

8. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Their Children. You can only Blame the generation who raised them.

9. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

Here, Here for that, you are completely right. Its the way you raise them, show by example, family dinner time, and camping outdoors just to mention a few.

10. Vertigo

Vertigo Member

@Longtime: Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I hope it will not have a lasting effect on life.

Amen to that.

Although I would be considered part of that generation, I believe most of the problem lies in education and how parents raise their children.

After all, why blame video games, movies, television, when people grew up during for example WWII and still turned out allright. How a person acts in a certain situation, is based on how that person puts that particular situation into the context of past experiences and education.

V.

11. longtime

Thanks to all for your concerns. It has been two years now and within the next 6 months we should be as close to back to normal as we can get.

One thing that I have noticed is how much our private property is considered as public. We retired shortly after the fire and have been rebuilding ever since. Our property has always had a very uninviting driveway (all our vehicles are high clearance) and many no trespassing signs (you can't see any of our structures from the road either). While working we have had sports cars with no clearance come speeding down our drive to kids on 4-wheelers. None stop to talk, they see us and hit the brakes make a quick exit. I assume these are the type of people that burned us down. Some of them that we have blocked in when we are coming home just get irate and threaten to call the police (the deputy says he would love that call). We tell them they are free to go, but our car is not moving until we check out our property, none understand.

And it's not just kids or young people, I surprised two little old ladies with a shovel one day as I stepped from the tree line and it was like the Keystone Cops as they ran off. This was so funny that if I could have caught them I would have dug up the Red Bud tree for them. Or the time I heard a chain saw and found a man and his son cutting wood on our property. Can I really blame the kids if these people are their examples?

12. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

Is it possible for you to dig a deep trench around your property-line making it difficult to cross, then weld-up a "draw-bridge" for access to your house. The draw-bridge could be "remote-controlled" via wireless winch-controller and a winch to pull the bridge up when you leave.

13. longtime

No, I just think it is amusing any more.

When I get a refrigerator or freezer dropped in my driveway I just take it to be recycled and get my $15.00. People are stupid!

14. Vertigo

Vertigo Member

You are joking right? right? :2thumb:

V.

15. allen_idaho

allen_idaho Well-Known Member

That is one of the problems with living in the country.

I've had drunken hunters accidentally shoot two of my horses,

I've had bad drivers crash into my fence and take off without bothering to tell me so I find my cattle wandering out on the road.

I've had hunters cut my fencing just so they didn't have to crawl through.

There was one major fire where my neighbor decided to almost burn down my barn and all of my hay for the winter while he was burning brush that got out of control. Luckily I have a powerful pump and a water cannon I use for irrigation.

I haven't had any major vandalism yet but it will probably happen sooner or later.

16. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

We had one of our horses shot in the leg some years back. We never found out who it was. He fully recovered and we could ride him again but there is now only one person permitted to hunt here.

17. longtime

Maybe we should change this to what have they done to you lately!

18. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

We've had trouble, too. Some jerk took a shot at a pheasant last year, but I think I already posted that whole story, we've had people turf up our fields, it goes on and on.

19. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

I thought it was just our dumb luck. In the summer of 08 we had a rent-a-center delivery truck drive into the north end of our field and stop about 3' from the pasture fence. The dogs alerted us to it but it was pulling out as we got out there. The next day we went to the showroom closest to us but they told us they hadn't had any deliveries in our area and to try the branch on the other side of the river. What did they say? We don't deliver in that area. Try the one closer to your home. :mad:

20. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

100% serious.

Combine several "protection levels" between the average-Joe and your property, and, they will reconsider visiting without permission.

Along the road-way - encourage thorn-plants to grow (here in Alberta, our official flower is a WildRose - very pretty but thorny plant), then make a second layer of protection in the form of large-trunk trees (protect against wild-drivers driving through a fence) which will also work wonders as a wind-break.

Now - dig your trench - line it with rocks and along the top edge of the trench closer into your property, put in your barb-wire fence and then plant good-to-eat bushes along that zone (blueberries, raspberries, etc) and allow them to grow wild.

This would work well enough for smaller acreages (under 50) if the lay of the land is right. This is what my friend did with her 40 acre land - all access from the highway side was highly discouraged and her "backyard" was opened for her animals (horses, sheep, goats, chickens, etc)