Your current prep footing...

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by SurviveNthrive, Oct 23, 2010.

1. I'm surviving right now, using my preps out of need.

5 vote(s)
    6.2%
  2. Frantically prepping like mad.

3 vote(s)
    3.7%
  3. Stepping up my preps in anticipation of more problems.

31 vote(s)
    38.3%
  4. I've picked up my prepping a little.

22 vote(s)
    27.2%
  5. Not much activity.

10 vote(s)
    12.3%
  6. I'm doing a bit less

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. I've dropped off prepping quite a bit.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. I've stopped prepping completely.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. I'm new to this and I'm figuring things out.

8 vote(s)
    9.9%
  10. I like Diet Cherry Pepsi. (No relevant opinion but like to vote anyway.)

2 vote(s)
    2.5%
  1. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

Some of us are totally unaffected. Some of us aren't directly affected but are concerned and stepping up preps. Some of us are devestated by the current economic and personal situations and are already in a form of a survivalism mode.

2. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

I needed to vote for two:

I am using my prep supplies

& I have stepped up my preps also

3. SaskBound

SaskBound Well-Known Member

Financially, we have one partner with a secure job, and one who has really just returned to full time work ofter a lengthy (1.5 year) period of under-employment. We have always lived within our means, and while things were pretty tight for awhile there, we are okay, and have not had to dip into emergency savings or supplies.

We are pretty comfortable with where our food preps are at, and are just replacing things as we use them for the time being. We are trying to expand our medical supplies some, but our main focus right now is getting our land prepped (trees planted, irrigation system installed, etc) and our butts out there. I can't say we're frantically doing much of anything, but we do feel a certain urgency to get relocated. Of course, that is job dependent, and might still take quite some time...

4. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

I like Cherry Pepsi, but not DIET Cherry Pepsi! :eek:
    (I smiled to find it on the list, though!)

We pretty much live on our preps, but if we come into extra money it goes into more preps and supplies. We produce most of our food, so it's things like beans, sugar, salt, and spices (other than the herbs we grow) and non-food (medical supplies, general supplies, etc.).

We try to balance our sustainable life with actually having a life...taking a breath and going on that long bike trip or camping trip or canoe trip, etc., and not being so worried about being away from home.

5. mdprepper

mdprepper I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...

My Husband is laid off again, and I work part time (no extra hours available), we are using our preps. We have been for a while. When I can I do try to get extra.

6. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

This is an essential reason why most of us prep-for hard times.

At a butcher shop today I saw a man who walked in from what must be a decent distance to buy a few slices of bacon. The clerk picked him out some nice slices and dutifully weighed, wrapped them and marked them. The customer carefully pulled out his money to pay for the bacon, made a comment about it being neat that they sold seasonings in smaller amounts and looked as if he wanted some and left.

People are hurting.

7. ditzyjan56

ditzyjan56 Well-Known Member

stepping it up

Just started last year and am trying to prep for 12 in my whole family. I think I am doing ok, but worry that it won't be enough if :shtf:. So I am working on the list of haves and have nots. The spreadsheet posted on here was a lot of help in organizing my supplies.

8. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

I like to keep my preps to myself and family...

So ... no way am I'm telling you ... ;)

9. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

Andy-those who keep it to themselves are generally the best prepped-In contrast, I have a few things.

10. PS360

PS360 Well-Known Member

Not much activity, I’m just slowly amassing the things I need. but I have all the expensive stuff.

11. Turtle

Turtle Well-Known Member

I haven't been buying a whole lot more lately, but I've been working on developing several skill sets (blacksmithing, bladesmithing, etcetera) and doing some planning. I really should be working more on stocking up on some stuff, though.

12. simplelife01

simplelife01 New Member

We use ours regularly, but so far we prep more than we consume. We are still in the early stages of our overall preparations.

13. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

prepping more than you consume...I like that, simplelife01! Good way to put it!

By the way, welcome to the forum!

14. lotsoflead

lotsoflead Well-Known Member

we're pretty well stocked for a long long time but still purchase some seasonings and things that are on a real sale like half to 3/4 off. that's where the canner comes in handy.

15. Herbalpagan

Herbalpagan Well-Known Member

We've been working on this for a while. Our goal is to have 3 yrs of food and supplies for 6-8. With food prices and living expenses going up it's not as easy as it first was. We also have been improving our infrastructure (sheds, tools, small animals, fruit trees) for long term sustainability. We've accomplished a lot, but still have a lot more to do.

16. OldCootHillbilly

OldCootHillbilly Reverend Coot

Were movin along at a steady pace, although there ain't nothin that be a sure thing, my employment is perty secure as is momma's.

We work on preps each week. Keep addin ta the food stocks, buy equipment as we find good deals on it. Gonna spend the winter addin more shelves an rearrangin so stuff is easier ta find an track.

Course were always addin stuff ta the freezer, smokin more meats an cannin some meats as well. Like ta do as much cannin in the cool weather as we can cause I hate heatin up the kitchen if we don't have ta!:D

17. SnakeDoc

SnakeDoc Well-Known Member

We keep plugging along. Things have been tight, but we have both kept employment. Our son moved back home and is having troubles finding steady work.

I grab whatever I can and am skipping lunches and selling plasma which gives me about 70 more buck per week to prep with.

18. simplelife01

simplelife01 New Member

With so much cost and time involved my biggest concern is being able to focus on all aspects. Such as becoming self sufficient, being off the grid, constantly prepping enough, and of course most importantly protecting it.

19. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

It can be done inexpensively.

Contact me with a PM and we can discuss it.

20. Lonewufcry

Lonewufcry Lonewufcry

With a family of five we have no choice but to prep on a budget. But it can be done every month we add a little more to our lists. And most of the training we do is offered by local organizations with little cost to you the prepper.