Prepared Society Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what the coolest gun you have and what makes it so cool

I have two
M6 Scout 22 hornet over 410. Its not old and never saw any combat but it is just cool to me. And it shoots the 22H like a laser, incredible!! I would love to add a 1911A1 and or a full auto Tommy gun to this mix but I dont see that happening anytime soon

The other is a Ruger 3 screw .357. Its my only single action and a blast to shoot plus its pretty accurate. I really need to grow my single action gun collection, add some 45LC's and black powders to round things out

I believe its the simplicity of design and function that draws me to these styles of weapons. But the Tommy and 1911A1 are just plain sexy :D

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Well it depends a bit on definition of coolest.
I am a AR aficionado and my coolest AR was probably my LWRC M6A2.
14.7 inch pinned.
FDE ceracoated.
This however I sold when I was made an on the spot offer at a range that I coudln't refuse.

I no longer build any exotic ARs.

I do have one though that's a bit over-the-top.

Kind of a Gucci AR .. so I dont even bring it to Carbine courses, because in a way it's a bit of a symbol for what's wrong w/ the AR community and it's "Gucciness" embarrasses me these days..

Noveske Barrel cercoated in FDE
VLTOR Mur 1D Upper receiver
Some exotic rail that I forgot what it was
Seekins Precision Machined Lower
Spikes NiB BCG and Bolt.
Xtreme Precision Firing pin.
some Upgraded Trigger that I forgot (its been years)

Entire rifle Ceracoated in Kryptek Highlander.

I am no longer about Gucci rifles.. but its my highest content firearm.
100_1502.JPG
100_1503.JPG

·
Saylor Jean's Grandpa
66 Posts
I have a few, but this is the top of the heap.

This would not be the "Crown Jewel" in Switzerland. The zfk55 is, and the only reason that this is a Crown Jewel here is.......... US Politicians.
I must say that even in Switzerland this would be sought after, but only for early semi-auto nostalgia.
There were no more than 4 of these in the US when I got this one. Three are in the hands of collectors and one is in a museum. Two of them are the three round burst type, but ours is a semi as issued.

This particular rifle is the 90PE, original 1987 issue, mint and unfired (ala Hawkeye Borescope) and came with 16 magazines worth about $8 US in Switzerland, and $75 each in the US. The rifle itself is currently valued at $21,000.00 here, and $1,200.00 in Switzerland. Ever heard of such idiocy? All of that is thanks to Clinton et all.
That aside, it's truly an incredible rifle. Back in 1991 I bought 10 of the civilian 551's and 10 of the 552's for resale. I paid $1,500.00 per rifle. Those were the first civilian models into the US. Within 3 months the doors were slammed by the US and that was the end of that. Those same rifles now bring $5,000.00+ here, and of course SIG America was formed and began making pseudo 552's. There is nothing in the world Swiss about them except for SA having a Swiss citizen ( and past member of Sig Neuhausen)
on their board of directors. SIG in Switzerland no longer exists. RUAG is now the owner of all of it besides the Dynamite Nobel company and Norma munitions.
I do wish it was actually worth the assigned value. I can tell you that my Swiss associates laugh about this one. Verruckte Amis, they call us. It means crazy Americans.

Most European arms dealers look at us in that light. Insane prices with no real justification. The rifle is really worth about $800.00 over there as a simple semi-auto.
So........ Behold the "real deal"
Original 1987 Swiss Army issue 90PE in semi-automatic, 16 magazines, issue cleaning kit, issue Fine range Diopter, spare parts kit and original manual in German (of course), Brass catcher, strippers for the magazines and sight extender, integral bipod and muzzle protector.

The Diopter has both near and long range changeable Irises and changeable color filters as well. The only thing not issue is the case which was produced about 3 years later.

The Kern 4x24 was originally produced in the 60s and 70s as part of a military contract for the Stgw57, with production ending in the late 1980s. In the early 1990's SIG began converting remaining factory stock of these scopes to work with the Stgw90 by producing a compatible mount. Originally manufactured exclusively for the Swiss Army, some of these scopes were left over at the factory, and able to be sold to the general public - these units were serial numbered 140176 to 140275 - with 20 UNITS ONLY having been converted by SIG/Leica for the Stgw90 were serial numbered 140278-140297 and are known as the ZF90.

Accessory wise GRD, produced the objective lens rubber protector, accessories case, duster brush, and buckskin. There has never been any official commercial packaging for this scope, however WEZ KUNSTSTOFFWERKE did produce a carry case for the scope up until the mid 1970s. The scope that I have is a slightly different story.

Eventually, there were 5 prototypes made of this scope. Each one had newer developments and options than the one before it. None of these 5 scopes showed up in the serial number ledgers kept in Bern......... but they did show up in a later "prototype" ledger.
All I have to do is find it among 18 years of emails from Frank Van Binendijk! LOL......... I'll try.

4 were archived and #5 was issued to a field soldier for normal use. I'm missing some of the history, but it was issued to a specific rifle and that number was recorded along with the soldier's name. He used it along with the rifle in shoots and military exercises until he retired. This soldier opted to keep the rifle, and the scope went with it................ so.......... MANY years pass.

This gent was married to a woman whose Father and Family owned a very large baking facility just across the border in France. The rifle was not supposed to go across that border, but it did. More years pass and this gentleman wanted Swiss Militaria and, of course, Frank Van Binnendijk was the man for just that. He offered to trade his 90PE to Frank, but Frank turned it down. Frank had plenty of those rifles already. They made a different trade and more time passes.

He contacts Frank again, and this time he has a "scope" to trade. Frank had a number of the Kern 4x24 scopes, so he turns it down.
The gent tells him it's not an "ordinary" Kern Scope. This piques Frank's interest so he asks for a serial number. Nope. it doesn't show in the register. Now Frank is more interested. He's sent a detailed photo of the scope, and within a week he finds out exactly what it is. #5 of the original prototypes and the one from which all production models are made!
Frank is as honest as the sky is blue, and he tells the gent that it's actually worth the equivalent of $1,700.00 US Dollars in
Switzerland............... BUT......... in the USA?? LOL! You guessed it!....... Worth eight times that amount!
Frank already knew about my having the #4 PE90 in the states, so when we Skype later that day I'm hopping up and down just waiting to say yes!........ and I did! That scope is now mated with the right, and perfect rifle for what it is, and for it's status.
.............. And........ an open answer to a PM on a Swiss Forum about an "inconsistency". Since only 20 were ever made and set up for the 90PE in later years, how could this one be the prototype from which all others were made originally? The originals were designed for the stg57, but........ #5 was not issued until the mount was developed for the 90PE, and why that should have been is lost in antiquity........... but serial numbers are always constant. #'s 1, 2, 3 and 4 were issued at about that same time, and they, along with the 20 production models remain in Switzerland.

Reactions: FrankW

·
322 Posts
I'll go with my 629 S&W 5". it rides well in an Bianchi X-15 shoulder rig or in a G. Lawerence quarter flap thumb-break on the hip. Rabbits, grouse ( it's a really good idea to wait until they stretch their neck high to see what's going on), a nosey noisy porcupine, a 5X5 mule deer, and sort of funny 5X2 white-tail. Its accuracy makes me smile and we've covered enough miles together to make me very comfortable. Using enough 2400 tp push a Nosler 240 gr. JHP a little over 1200- I am happy man.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Don't really have any "cool guns" but my go to as far as hunting, home defense ect. would be my Rem 870 Marine Mag. Tank tough, doubles as a canoe paddle if necessary and is rust resistant. Can handle everything from deer to doves.

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
I don't really have a cool gun. I have a pair of youth sized 20 gauge shotguns. They're smaller than a full sized gun. They're pump action and hold 6 shells. I think they're perfect for in home self defense. Although I should get a 12 gauge too.

·
322 Posts
20 ga. pumps are light weight and swing very quickly and something else- they carry really well. My youngest daughter has a nice white tailed buck on the wall taken with a twenty. Right now there is a youth model Remington Express within 10 ft. loaded with #3 Buck, an IC choke screwed in, with a 600 lumen light mounted on it. It is just about perfect for those nocturnal visitors. d

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have "a few" guns, ranging from 22's to a Springfield M1A.
But my favorite (besides my 1945 Garand) is a rifle that began life in 1917 at the Danzig Arsenal as a GEW 98 Mauser.
In the 1930's when Germany renounced the Versailles Agreement and began rearming, they could not make new rifles fast enough and so began converting WWI rifles to K98k specs. Mine was one, as evidenced by a shorter, carbine length barrel and a Nazi Waffenampt stamp on the front sight base.
Brought home after the war by a nameless US GI who cut the stock fore end down and added a rubber recoil pad.
This ruined any collector value and so became mine for the tidy sum of $188, tax and all.
She is accurate, the action is as smooth as silk. She really likes Federal 170 grain Power Shock 8MM Mauser rounds.
I'm 70 and will most likely begin selling off my guns, but this rifle will be with me to the end.
(For the record - I had an M16 in Vietnam, and today have absolutely zero desire to own an AR)

·
Shooter
487 Posts
I have a couple of them.
1. My conceal carry piece G19 Gen 4, Surefire X300 flashlight, Trijicon RM06 red dot, milled by ATEi while I was deployed. I dropped a Overwatch precision DAT trigger in it, and added an Agency Arms flared mag well, also put a S3F threaded barrel in it.

2. My Current go to M4, Form 1 SBR bought a stripped lower from a Texas company, BCM 11.5" upper, Midwest handguard, Geissele lower parts and trigger, Aimpoint Comp M4, Surefire Flashlight, PEC 15 IR laser, Sig Sauer 556 QD can, I also added a LAW folder, and went with the Vltor A5 buffer system.

3. I'm working on a second M4, 12.5" Form 1 SOLGW factory rifle. I need to add a Geissele trigger and short throw safety it currently has a STeiner 1-4 LVPO on it and magpul pros. I need to add an IR laser and flashlight as well.

I have a couple more, Benelli M2 tactical that I heavily modified, MPX where I have a can tucked into the hand guard still needs more work. I really want a AK 47 CR by aresenal I'd love to run in Red October next year.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts