Prepared Society Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
I would not want a new believer or seeker to use the KJV simply because of the archaic language. However, I have no problems with anyone who wants to use the KJV to use it. I know many fine Christians who use the KJV.

There are no significant translation errors in the KJV. ("Significant meaning harmful to obtaining salvation or negatively affecting their walk with God.)

Incidentally, the Bible College I attended used the NIV for one year then went to the NASV and has stuck with it since. The NIV has a very strong translation preference for Arminian views and is antagonistic toward Calvinism. It's very close to a paraphrase like the Living Bible rather than a true translation. That being said, I learned and studied using the NIV and I've found that it is very difficult to change versions. I can sympathize with those who learned using the KJV and simply do not want to change. And when you get right down to it, why should they? The KJV has brought a lot of people to God.
OK, if the KJV has archaic language that's difficult to understand then why use it? There's a lot in the Bible that's difficult to understand in everyday English. So why make it worse?

No, the NIV isn't like the Living Bible. It's really an insult to the translators of the NIV to call it a paraphrase. The NIV is a thought for thought translation that's more accurate than a word for word translation like the ESV.

The Living Bible isn't a paraphrase. It's a bastardization and a corruption of the real text. The writer puts in his own ignorant and preconceived notions of what the text should read. Nobody should read the Living Bible for any purpose whatsoever. The Living Bible writer corrupts the truth. He committed the most serious sin imaginable. I wouldn't want to be him on judgment day.

I'm reading the entire Bible for the 4th time. All in the first NIV translation. I see no bias whatsoever. I think some people just have a problem with the Bible being language of today.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
What value of reliability do you place on your chosen translated Christian Bible as it comes to your worship and faith?

Does the Septuagint play any role in your faith?
Do you know what the Septuagint is?
Where does your chosen Christian Bible take it's translation from?

I'm looking for incite/opinions into the Septuagint and Christian Bible translations. I'm approaching this in disagreement to the King James translation, even if it includes the original one with the Apochrypha.
I'm still trying to reconcile your claim to faith with your behavior on this site as well as your hatred of Israel.

·
I invented the internet. :rofl:
3,698 Posts
OK, if the KJV has archaic language that's difficult to understand then why use it? There's a lot in the Bible that's difficult to understand in everyday English. So why make it worse?

No, the NIV isn't like the Living Bible. It's really an insult to the translators of the NIV to call it a paraphrase. The NIV is a thought for thought translation that's more accurate than a word for word translation like the ESV.

The Living Bible isn't a paraphrase. It's a bastardization and a corruption of the real text. The writer puts in his own ignorant and preconceived notions of what the text should read. Nobody should read the Living Bible for any purpose whatsoever. The Living Bible writer corrupts the truth. He committed the most serious sin imaginable. I wouldn't want to be him on judgment day.

I'm reading the entire Bible for the 4th time. All in the first NIV translation. I see no bias whatsoever. I think some people just have a problem with the Bible being language of today.
Congratulations on reading the Bible for the 4th time. Not many can say that. Would it surprise you to know that I've read it at least once a year for
at least ten years while teaching adult Sunday School classes, mid-week Bible studies, two different sermons per week and while getting my Bachelor's degree in Bible ministry and pastoring churches? Over the years I've read it cover to cover at least five times in the NIV, twice in the NASB, once in the KJV, twice in the God's Word Edition and once in the Living Bible. And that doesn't include partial readings in other versions.

I've know many people who've used the KJV their entire lives and could hold their own with anyone when it came to Bible knowledge. Most of those who are serious about the Bible and knowing God will not only use several different translations but they'll devote countless hours to doing word studies and utilizing a variety of commentaries and other study aids.

But the reality is that I'm not impressed with the number of times a person has read the Word in any form (including the original languages), nor am I impressed by pedigrees from colleges and seminaries. The Pharisees were the pre-eminent experts on the Word of God and look at the ratings they got from God's Son. Jesus looked at them and saw hypocrites with hearts of stone.

Bible knowledge, while definitely beneficial, is not the ultimate goal for the Christian.

I have no doubt that you see no bias in the NIV. That would take a general knowledge of church history and the clash between Arminian views vs. Calvinism combined with at least some knowledge of the original languages. You won't get that by reading only the NIV. That's like listening to only one opinion in an argument without truly hearing and comprehending where the other people are coming from and why they believe what they believe.

The NIV is a fine Bible translation but so are a lot of others.

·
Banned
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I'm still trying to reconcile your claim to faith with your behavior on this site as well as your hatred of Israel.
Isn't it time for another of your infamous predictions of doom? bill, you're not a very convincing liar, but you're a competent crank. :laugh: I wouldn't attempt to reconcile the non sequitur nor the lies that you spew about me on this site, but will note that's it's common to many of those who defile the Christian identity by claiming some affiliation with it. God Himself has instructed me on my path.

If you want to start a thread on what the country of Israel has to do with your beliefs, then go do it. Stop pissing on everybody in this thread that you don't agree with. :rolleyes:

·
There is a place in Hell for me...the THRONE.
8,927 Posts
Matthew 7:15 &16

Beware of the false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly are ravenous wolves. You will know them by their fruits. Grapes are not gathered from thorn bushes nor figs from thistles, are they?
Please remember, everyone, that the Spirit guides us each in our own path laid by God. If you are truly filled with the Spirit then there should be no question about your faith in the Lord and His being in your heart.

Ezekiel 13
New International Version (NIV)

False Prophets Condemned

13 The word of the Lord came to me: 2 "Son of man, prophesy against the prophets of Israel who are now prophesying. Say to those who prophesy out of their own imagination: 'Hear the word of the Lord! 3 This is what the Sovereign Lord says: Woe to the foolish[a] prophets who follow their own spirit and have seen nothing! 4 Your prophets, Israel, are like jackals among ruins. 5 You have not gone up to the breaches in the wall to repair it for the people of Israel so that it will stand firm in the battle on the day of the Lord. 6 Their visions are false and their divinations a lie. Even though the Lord has not sent them, they say, "The Lord declares," and expect him to fulfill their words. 7 Have you not seen false visions and uttered lying divinations when you say, "The Lord declares," though I have not spoken?

8 "'Therefore this is what the Sovereign Lord says: Because of your false words and lying visions, I am against you, declares the Sovereign Lord. 9 My hand will be against the prophets who see false visions and utter lying divinations. They will not belong to the council of my people or be listed in the records of Israel, nor will they enter the land of Israel. Then you will know that I am the Sovereign Lord.

10 "'Because they lead my people astray, saying, "Peace," when there is no peace, and because, when a flimsy wall is built, they cover it with whitewash, 11 therefore tell those who cover it with whitewash that it is going to fall. Rain will come in torrents, and I will send hailstones hurtling down, and violent winds will burst forth. 12 When the wall collapses, will people not ask you, "Where is the whitewash you covered it with?"

13 "'Therefore this is what the Sovereign Lord says: In my wrath I will unleash a violent wind, and in my anger hailstones and torrents of rain will fall with destructive fury. 14 I will tear down the wall you have covered with whitewash and will level it to the ground so that its foundation will be laid bare. When it falls, you will be destroyed in it; and you will know that I am the Lord. 15 So I will pour out my wrath against the wall and against those who covered it with whitewash. I will say to you, "The wall is gone and so are those who whitewashed it, 16 those prophets of Israel who prophesied to Jerusalem and saw visions of peace for her when there was no peace, declares the Sovereign Lord."'

17 "Now, son of man, set your face against the daughters of your people who prophesy out of their own imagination. Prophesy against them 18 and say, 'This is what the Sovereign Lord says: Woe to the women who sew magic charms on all their wrists and make veils of various lengths for their heads in order to ensnare people. Will you ensnare the lives of my people but preserve your own? 19 You have profaned me among my people for a few handfuls of barley and scraps of bread. By lying to my people, who listen to lies, you have killed those who should not have died and have spared those who should not live.

20 "'Therefore this is what the Sovereign Lord says: I am against your magic charms with which you ensnare people like birds and I will tear them from your arms; I will set free the people that you ensnare like birds. 21 I will tear off your veils and save my people from your hands, and they will no longer fall prey to your power. Then you will know that I am the Lord. 22 Because you disheartened the righteous with your lies, when I had brought them no grief, and because you encouraged the wicked not to turn from their evil ways and so save their lives, 23 therefore you will no longer see false visions or practice divination. I will save my people from your hands. And then you will know that I am the Lord.'"

·
883 Posts
M.M.M. - “Bible knowledge, while definitely beneficial, is not the ultimate goal for the Christian.”

BINGO!! AND AMEN!!

Just started reading the Word front to back again and what a mighty gift we have been so gloriously given by the almighty.

·
Banned
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I accept that. A good example to make regarding translations and definitions would be the word Israel that was brought up in bill's personal attack. The word as used and most commonly understood today as compared to the same word in scripture is not the same inference nor meaning.

In itself it's inconsequential to the opening question about scripture, though, since this is a discussion on translations of ancient texts.

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
Are we getting off topic again?

Please keep the verbal-attacks out of this discussion.

As indicated in the rules for this section, I can and will turn off access individually to those who do not play nice.

·
There is a place in Hell for me...the THRONE.
8,927 Posts

As indicated in the rules for this section, I can and will turn off access individually to those who do not play nice.
To be honest the topic has run its course. Everyone has had a chance to say their peace in a polite way and now as with most BS posts it has gone to name calling and antisemitism. Might be best to lock it for the sanity of the forum.

·
RockyMountainCanadian
4,288 Posts
A lot of what might appear as Anti jew (I did not use anti Semite because that is a much larger group) maybe a less than articulate reference to the biblical Israel and the modern county of the same name, which may or may not be different.
a lot of things can be miss interpreted whether it be the New Testament or just a response to a post,

I had access to a four translations New Testament (I think it was from the Jehovah's witnesses) which had all four translations on the same page, in columns so when that you could compare them and be really confused.

·
I invented the internet. :rofl:
3,698 Posts
A lot of what might appear as Anti jew (I did not use anti Semite because that is a much larger group) maybe a less than articulate reference to the biblical Israel and the modern county of the same name, which may or may not be different.
a lot of things can be miss interpreted whether it be the New Testament or just a response to a post,

I had access to a four translations New Testament (I think it was from the Jehovah's witnesses) which had all four translations on the same page, in columns so when that you could compare them and be really confused.
There's an old saying that "a text without context is a pretext." Words derive their meaning from the context in which they are used. The problem with translation is not in understanding the meaning of the word used but with understanding the meaning of the word within the context in which it was used.

That's why dictionaries offer multiple meanings to the same word. As a writer I often use a Thesaurus so that I can vary the text by using different words to convey the same idea or thought. It was no different in biblical days. That's also why that even in biblical times the different religious sects couldn't agree to the way a text was supposed to be understood.

We all see through a stained glass window (or a dirty mirror). What we see is a blend of our past and present experiences, education, sex, and dozens of other small and large events that have impacted our life and the way we make sense of it. In most cases the mirror is so dirty and stained that even the input of the Holy Spirit is blurred.

It was the Apostle Paul who said, "Now we see a blurred image in a mirror. Then we will see very clearly. Now my knowledge is incomplete. Then I will have complete knowledge as God has complete knowledge of me. So these three remain: faith, hope, and love. But the best one of these is love." I Corinthians 13:12,13 (God's Word).

Our problem as Christians isn't in understanding the Bible. It's in living the parts that we do understand.

·
Banned
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
The 'problem' for me is I know it takes reading several texts and additional lessons to find(?) confirm(?) this ultimate truth of faith. My failing at doing this is laziness. The 'task' (which really yields a blessing) seems like such a long journey and there are tangential paths offering candy and a sugar high instead of concentrating on the studies. And I'm selfish with my time, that I admit.

I like the friendly reminder posts.

And thanks to those who didn't use the sanctimonious approach when rebutting.

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
There is a difference in Israel and Zionism. Zionist seem to want everyone to lose their identity but THEM. Where Israelites want a homeland Zionist seem to just want control.

IMO Israel has the right to exist in safety. Palestine also has a right to exist in safety. Israel is just a dot on the map in the M.E.. All the land and resources except Israel belong to arabs mostly of the radical element. Although Iran , Turkey and ESPECIALLY Syria were not radical until we started war on terror. Saudi Arabia where two of the worlds most radical promoting holy sites exist today.

From the evid3ence so far it seems the Zionism promotes radicalism ,not because of its objection to it but because it benefits from it somehow. IMO. I have my own opnion of how but won't discuss it because it is too involed for my typing skills.

·
Banned
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I agree. As an aside, confusion always comes from defining Israelites. Israelis aren't Israelites, which is specifically why they decided to define themselves as Israeli.

If the question is asked how this is pertinent to prepping, it's spiritual prepping by seeking the truth of a savior. There is no higher level of prepping to some people.

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
I agree. As an aside, confusion always comes from defining Israelites. Israelis aren't Israelites, which is specifically why they decided to define themselves as Israeli.

If the question is asked how this is pertinent to prepping, it's spiritual prepping by seeking the truth of a savior. There is no higher level of prepping to some people.
True. In the Bible The House of Israel aka Israelites was at war many times with The House of Judah aka jews. Yet they were all from the tribe of Jacob later named Israel. But 2 tribes and part of another separated. I think it was Levi, Judah and Benjemin.

This is nt tthe only thing seldom mentioned in the Bible by most Bible readers. Many questions are just ignored because of the supernatural ways to the answer that is not popular wit most.

·
Banned
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Yep.

What do you think of people changing their names to appear more something or other? Benjamin Netanyahu's family's name is actually Mileikowsky. Bibi's father & uncles just started using Netanyahu after their father used it from time to time. He's Lithuanian, Polish and Belarusan. You can tell he's slavic by looking at the nose.

Rahm Emanuel's family name was Auerbach before his grandfather changed it, and was a Romanian.

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
Yep.

What do you think of people changing their names to appear more something or other? Benjamin Netanyahu's family's name is actually Mileikowsky. Bibi's father & uncles just started using Netanyahu after their father used it from time to time. He's Lithuanian, Polish and Belarusan. You can tell he's slavic by looking at the nose.

Rahm Emanuel's family name was Auerbach before his grandfather changed it, and was a Romanian.
I know that there is some evidence I read about years ago that the Jesuits put in or set up apostate jews to do their dirty work for them and some of them weren't even jews ,enough to make your mind hurt.

I like to study long as it doesn't get too bogged down or abusive to each other. With religion and politics that can be a task.

I have also went back to other religions and ancient history from 1st walled city and empire till now.

·
Banned
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I think you have to go to other religions/texts/accounts for the historical viewpoint. Something isn't covered well in one, but you look at the other and you get a perspective that helps you see what the other didn't say clearly. And you sometimes get a glimpse into more than you thought you would.

The norm today is just having someone tell you how you got to where we are. Just take it on faith, and oh, by the way here's something not said but just accept it too. It's similar to those people who can't turn right on red until the green light tells them to, or those who can't cross oncoming lanes until they only have the green arrow to tell them what to do.

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
I think you have to go to other religions/texts/accounts for the historical viewpoint. Something isn't covered well in one, but you look at the other and you get a perspective that helps you see what the other didn't say clearly. And you sometimes get a glimpse into more than you thought you would.

The norm today is just having someone tell you how you got to where we are. Just take it on faith, and oh, by the way here's something not said but just accept it too. It's similar to those people who can't turn right on red until the green light tells them to, or those who can't cross oncoming lanes until they only have the green arrow to tell them what to do.
I have already done so years ago. I find the Bible the most accurate of them all. Although I do have questions about all the mystery and violence. This is why I think we are here for punishment on the most part. So many innocent suffer at the hands of so many persecuters. Wars could not happen if people didn't worship their leaders and we all minded our own bizwax. But no man knows the way to peace. Wanting to be god and have our way above all others. I'm tired so not making sense, will get back to this later.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts