Prepared Society Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
833 Posts
good thing i was roaming and reading diff post..

·
Registered
10,753 Posts
Bump keys have been a problem for years. But even a simple flathead screwdriver and rubber mallet will defeat all Level 2-3 locks and most Level 1 locks. YouTube is packed with videos of people easily breaking into home, safes, lock boxes, etc. Most locks were only designed to keep honest people and lazy criminals out. Having a high quality bump-proof lock is important, but it is also just one piece of a much larger OSPEC puzzle (plan).

·
Time Traveler
3,917 Posts
My cousin locked her keys in the car. I picked the lock as fast as she could have opened it with a key. I did not use a bump key. She had a similar expression as the woman in the video.

I never really thought of locksmithing as a survival skill but I guess all skills are. The more you know about how people break in the better you can protect yourself.

A friend of mine is building a house. I have him convinced to include security film into the design.

·
833 Posts
we watched some sort of documentary yesterday.i haven't looked into it yet.but they said there was talk about making bump keys illegal.on account they'll work on at least almost every door lock..

·
Registered
10,753 Posts
If not bump keys they will just use a force tool. If not a force tool they will use a strong flathead screwdriver. Very few modern commercial locks are very strong, especially the junk you can buy at home improvement stores. Of course their literature will tell you about how secure they are and how they are bump key proof; don't believe it. Kwikset for example has their new Smart Key ultra-secure technology. They claim it is bump proof. Now watch the video.

·
I love the smell of Argon in the morning
2,850 Posts
For any one that hasn't read the previous thread on this subject, I need to point out that a person with the knowledge and skill can enter any property without damaging the door or lock, steal what they want and leave, locking the door behind them.

When the owner comes home they may get a gut feeling that some one has been there but can't find anything a miss, so they don't report it to the police.

A few weeks later they find their valuables missing, but it's too late now.

The only way to catch these people is with internal security cameras and that is not always fool proof if you can't identify them. Besides you may not even look at the footage and in a few days the memory has been rewritten and the evidence is gone.

There have been news reports of these thefts, but the police have no idea how often it happens.

In the previous thread some one said to always leave a $20 bill in plane site, when you come in, if the money is gone then you know.

·
Registered
10,753 Posts
I prefer to leave a number of vigilante German canines out instead. Thus I can determine if someone got into my home by the amount of blood on the floor.

·
76 Posts
I prefer to leave a number of vigilante German canines out instead. Thus I can determine if someone got into my home by the amount of blood on the floor.
:ditto:

Funny how that works. Never underestimate the deterrent factor of a dog. Most would be crooks will just move along to an easier target.

·
Banned
3,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I`m not surprise anymore you go on YouTube and learn all kinds of evil things ,buy books ,Amazon will sell you top of the line locksmith tools and how to books on just about anything ,silencer ,bombs ,are easily available ,turning your weapon into a full automatic one is simple ,how to dismantle a security system is simple if the system doesn`t have backup power system .So what to do when so may things out there are against you .A dog or a fulltime security guard ,or just become an stay home security mom or pop with the loaded shotgun near you. I have nothing to advertise out of my house ,no fancy jewelry or fancy vehicle ,I keep my movements to a minimum I don`t even have security lights on around my house ,hell what better way to show your property ,the switch is by my door when the need arrives to turn them on .The point here is that we just have to do the best we can for our protection ,to expect the unexpected and stop living in fear.

·
Banned
3,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Internet Princess
2,809 Posts
Just to make a point;http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/06/2...-in-city-where-trayvon-martin-was-killed.html maybe now they will make more laws.
In another news that made little headlines and should have been all over the world that really proves a point ;guns do killed and sometimes for a good reason, home security is primal and for a lady coming home alone is clearly a no brainer.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...hilds-bedroom/ar-AAhFFqO?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=iehp
If current laws don't stop criminals why would new ones?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts