Yellow tomatoes

Discussion in 'Gardening and Agriculture' started by jafl, Jun 14, 2009.

1. jafl

jafl Well-Known Member

I have everything in my garden right now to make spaghetti sauce- tomatoes, celery, onion, bell pepper, garlic, oregano and basil. But the tomatoes I have now likely won’t be around by the time the celery is ready, but I have a yellow variety that probably will be ready when I start harvesting the celery. I don’t eat raw tomatoes; can someone tell me how they compare with the red varieties? Would they make OK spaghetti sauce?

2. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

the yellow variety is less acidic & as such isn't that great for making spaghetti sauce with, unfortunately. :(

I suppose you could use them to stretch out some Roma tomatoes & maybe add a little vinegar...

3. Canadian

Canadian Well-Known Member

Yellow are sweet and delicious.

4. doc66

doc66 Well-Known Member

I love yellow tomatoes on crusty french bread with prosciutto and fresh mozzarella.

Yellow are the best for eating picked right from the garden.

5. Expeditioner

Expeditioner Well-Known Member

I am growing an heirloom tomato called Mr Stripey. Its yellow with red stripes. It is some good eating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. OldFashionedMama

OldFashionedMama Partyin' like it's 1699

Yellow tomatoes mixed with some red make a nice sauce, but they do not keep very well. They are also low acid and not safe for water bath canning. You could try making a sauce and pressure-canning it, but I don't know how it would taste.