Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,922 Posts
My Aunt used to store carrots/beets/parsnips in bins in sand just like that!
She also used to leave all three in the garden and put a tarp over the plots where they were grown and then putting bales of straw over them in the fall, when the ones in the root cellar(the dirt floor room off the main basement) ran out then the fellas would have to go and dig them when she needed them.
I think that, that would be a good way to go after TSHTF, I mean who is gonna look under bales of straw(or big piles of leaves maybe) in the winter for food(well other than us that is ;):D).
Most city folk wouldn't know that carrots/beets/parsnips grew under the ground or what to look for even in summer!

· Registered
1,922 Posts
I've noticed that on years that are dry in the late summer early fall the squash bugs will take a tiny "bite" on the squashes and later that winter even tho we give them a quick dip in bleach water they will start to get the black spots early in winter. Nasty little critters they are... A neighbor used to take an old shop vac and suck them off the plants.. I was thinking that after my vines set fruit I might cover them with remay cloth to keep down the squash bugs like I do for my Brussels sprouts.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.