Yahoo news, foods for emergencies

Discussion in 'International Current News & Events' started by gypsysue, Jul 21, 2010.

1. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

2. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

It wasn't bad for a Yahoo article, but I gotta say, the comments are the best! quite a few folks are totally for stocking up, but did ya see what that one ding dong said? Sheesh! Just go to a taco bell, or subway etc... I guess we all know who will be sitting on the curb waiting for FEMA to show up!:rolleyes:
    thanks for the thread, very good read. And it makes me feel better about trying to take stock and be prepared. I am not alone, and neither are the rest of us here.:D

Oh but what kind of fool stocks up an artichoke hearts as an emergency food?:nuts: Not that I don't love me some Choke hearts but really for the article, they should have known better.

3. Aemilia

Aemilia Zookeeper

Comments were interesting. Especially since the umm, more conspiratorial ones seem to blame a variety of sources on all sides. I'm not sold on cereal though, it seems pretty delicate (aka it will turn to crumbs) and bulky for the calories. Crackers could be a good idea though, quick and fingers only.

I'm wondering how many can openers to own? We have bad luck with can openers here - manual and electric. The best one was an OLD black and decker, it lasted for years.

4. Emerald

I just had to buy another hand held one and broke down and went to wallyworld (I hate having such a tight budget) and just bought their $3 black handled one instead of the .99 cent one and I am shocked at how well it works, Hubby and I plan on buying a couple more for back ups as I am a killer of can openers except for the one on my jackknife and those little military ones that you put on your key chain.:eek:

5. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

???

What do you guys DO to your can openers?

We've been using the same hand-cranked one for almost 8 years!

We have 5 spares, though. We keep one of them in the root cellar. If we ever have to hunker down in there, we can open up some food (probably fruit!) and chow down!

And cereal, stored in a rigid container, isn't any more crumbly than crackers would be. Some kinds of cereal make good finger foods...ask any baby with a handful of dry cheerios!

The comments after any news story are always interesting, and often better than the articles!

6. horseman09

horseman09 Well-Known Member

My wife (ok,ok, my better half) raves about her Pampered Chef can opener. I admit to having an opinion on it :eek: because:

1. When she's not here at meal time, I DO have to use it. lol.

2. The traditional can opener cuts into the can and gets goop on the cutter wheel. Very hard to clean. I wonder if anyone's died because of a Typhoid Mary can opener?

The PC opener cuts the edge of the crimp without cutting into the can. No sharp edges -- not even on the lid -- and the cutter wheel never contacts the contents of the can. So, no cross contamination or having to use a tooth brush to clean the cutter wheel.

Commercial is over.

PS.....No, my wife does not sell Pampered Chef. She buys it though.

7. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

We've been using the same manual can opener for 6 years now and we have 2 spares.
    I haven't owned an electric one since the late 80's.

8. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Most of the "spares" are in places such as packed with camping equipment, etc. Not just laying in kitchen drawers, cluttering them up!

9. Emerald

Well the daughter got married and moved out and "borrowed" a few things!:D and we just took the one out of the camper to use till we got it back(which was never lol) and then since it was just the cheap camper one, I accidentally stepped on it one night (still not sure why it was on the floor? Or who dropped it and left it.) and it never worked well again. :eek:
    And my favorite one needs new batteries.. it's the Gizmo best freaking can opener ever! opened even the size 10's with no effort, well as long as it had a charge.. lol
    I am heck on kitchen tools, if I don't buy heavy duty almost restaurant gear, I wear it out or break it..
    In the past 4 years I have only picked up heavy duty cast iron, or stainless steel (18/10) and I have over $500 worth of pots and pans! Lets not get into all the other odd stuff that I have picked up over the years.:eek:
    But get this-- my favorite things in the kitchen are the wooden spoons and the bamboo spoons! Cheapest things in there! hehehehe

10. Aemilia

Aemilia Zookeeper

Usually the wheels/gearing/knob fails on ours. I don't think we use them to hard ... That includes 2 electric and several manual. Some cheap manuals but one of them was close to $10. (Maybe that's cheap :dunno:) I do know someone who sells Pampered Chef, perhaps I'll talk to her.

And the can-opener on my leatherman is the most reliable one. :2thumb: Nothing wrong with simple, no gears or moving parts.

11. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

I have been using the same manual can-opener in my kitchen since '91 or '92 and it is still going strong. I have a similar one in my camper and one in my desk-drawer at work. I have never had a problem with any of them. The "cheapest" of them was about $8.

A friend of mine says "Cheap-out and buy twice and cry twice. Spend the good coin, cry once and smile everytime you use it". That sayin' has been proved many times in my spending career.

12. Emerald

I have learned that lesson with a few things in life, but am a bit cash poor lately and had to buy cheap. I must have bought 4 $6 shovels and broke each one and broke down and spent over $30 for one on sale and I have had it for over 12 years now.

13. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 Adventurer at large

Hehehe..... my forty year old "P38" is still going strong. :D

I do have a couple "Swing-away" brand crank types - oldest is more than 20 years, and still works fine.

I NEVER could get those new-fangled electric types to work.......

If things get rough - hammer, chisel and tin snips...... worked for the Russian ammo cans. ;)

I left a comment on that Yahoo article (Seawolf). Most folks there seemed to be just onthe edge of prepping, or at least putting something back for an emergency - no really long-term storing. Yeah - that dweeb putting his faith in fastfood...... he'll be face down in a gutter when TSHTF......