WTS: SOG Fusion Tactical Tomahawk

Discussion in 'For Sale & Wanted' started by Expeditioner, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Expeditioner

Expeditioner Well-Known Member

I have a SOG Fusion Tactical Tomahawk for sales. It is based on the Vietnam Tomahawk and is a versatile tool for breaching operations, excavation, obstacle removal, extraction, and other utility applications.

The head is made of 420 stainless steel head with Hardcased coating and is mounted to the hardwood handle with heavy duty bolts and a steel ferrule to keep the wood from splitting. It comes with a nylon sheath.

Retail is $62.00. I am asking $44.00 (shipping included).

PM me if interested.

2. RossA

RossA Active Member

I have one of these and love it. I would take you up on this offer if I didn't already have one.

3. Expeditioner

I have three. One at my cabin, one in my truck and one with my BOB. It is a great tool indeed.

4. Magus

Magus Scavenger deluxe

When did they start putting holes in the blade? :(

5. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

my tomahawks are older than me & they have holes in the blade, so my guess would be... @ least 25 years ago? :rolleyes: ;)

6. Expeditioner

I have asked SOG why there are holes in the in the head......my guess is weight reduction without sacrificing strength.

7. Magus

Magus Scavenger deluxe

Mine's Vietnam era.maybe that explains it?

8. Expeditioner

9. HozayBuck

HozayBuck Well-Known Member

I have one also and have a question for all of you.... first let me say this... I used mine last year to take the heads off of 2 deer...and to my surprise the blade chipped , I knew it was thin but...

Anybody else had any edge chipping problems?... this is nothing I can't take care of with some file and stoning but I was a bit put out by it..

10. RossA

RossA Active Member

If you mean that you chopped through bone with it, I'm not surprised that the edge chipped. As you say, the edge is very thin, which makes for a very sharp edge, but also not for an edge which holds up to striking hard objects like bone.

11. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Well-Known Member

When you resharpen it to take the chips out, convex it. Treat it like it's a lot thicker blade and arc the bevel to an appleseed profile, starting a bit higher up than it's ground and stoning off the 'shoulder'. It'll still cut 95% as well but it'll be much less likely to chip. And you might already have known it, but mebbe not. :)

12. HozayBuck

HozayBuck Well-Known Member

Thanks MitchS
    yea I had planned to do just about that, I knew before I started that I was doing something I shouldn't, but why have it if I'm not going to use it, I doubt I'll ever need to use it to take out an enemy, but it would still so...

All in all I like it, but it could be just a bit heavier in the head.. I have a buddy who uses a throwing hawk for dealing with deer and such, his is thicker and heavier, works really well...

13. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Well-Known Member

There's a real tendency to oversharpen hatchets, especially if you're in green wood country, conifers & such, because it's so nice to slice through branches with one whack.

And then you find a knot. oops. btdt.. but I've found the answer is keep a couple hatchets, a big ol' chopper, for firewood..and a shavin' sharp lightweight midsize for kindling & fuzzsticks and boy scout tricks.. making pegs & such. And a 30" hardwood bow saw blade, cause making the saw is a bunch easier than making the blade. ;)

14. Expeditioner

Or you could just use the fusion as a weapon......which is the original intent of the design.