1. lotsoflead

lotsoflead Well-Known Member

something kicked silver in the back side today, it's up to $24.62. almost a dollar an ounce.

2. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

I was thinking of buying some, so that happened. I should warn everyone when I am going to get gas, buy gold, or take a plane trip, because some SOB is going to raise the cost of whatever I think about doing.

3. wildman800

wildman800 Well-Known Member

Just remember that the value of silver did not go up, the value of the dollar just dropped that much more!

4. paladin562

paladin562 Member

That is the sad truth!

5. optimist45

optimist45 Member

SIlver is being manipulated. Once that mainpulation is no longer happening it is going to rise. It is a good price at what it is currently. I think silver will surpass $100 per ounce.

6. questor

questor Well-Known Member

so what will my 'Morgans' be worth ???

7. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

8. questor

worth more as Werewolf bullets

9. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

don't silver bullets 'tumble' & cause the shot to 'go wild'?
    I'm such a poor shot I would need silver shot in the ol' 12 gauge ;)

10. BlueShoe

BlueShoe ExCommunicated

It's hard to retrain yourself to think in terms of real commodities for value when you've been programmed to believe currency is the basis for value--trading your labor for dollars. I struggle with it. If you can go watch OLD game shows like Monty Hall on Let's Make a Deal where they give away A NEW CAR! Then they pull the curtain and it's a Chevette or Pinto. It's comical to see how excited someone got over what we value as crappola now. Same thing is happening with the dollar.

ETA: When he rolls those 50 and 100 dollar notes out of his jacket pocket back then think about what you could buy with them. At the time that was big money. Today you can collect aluminum and copper for scrap and get it.

11. questor

just curious . . .
    how would silver bullets be any different than lead or copper jacketed bullets?

granted, a 12 bore would be better, but it would also 'waste' a lot of silver BB's

12. The_Blob

I was just being a smarta$$, but I'm pretty certain the SG of silver is substantially lower than lead, they also take the Pb vs Cu SG into account when making jacketed bullets
    also, I think the melting point of Ag is something like 1750(?) degrees (Pb melts at around 650(?))which would ruin most modern molds so I thought that dropping molten droplets into a water vessel might be easier
    Ag is considerably harder than Pb, but not as hard as a rifle barrel I'm sure, so idk how much rifling would score the bullet to give it spin to keep it accurate.

13. questor

melting point for coin silver is about 1600 F or so

personally, I would not want to get hit with either one out of a shotgun, pistol or rifle. However that being said, I think the silver may be worth more, as ammunition, in some circumstances.
    but I think it would make lousy hollow points.
    as for the dropping into water
    damn good idea, I never would have thought of that.
    I wonder if having the mold in chilled water would help.
    It would be fun to have a silver bullet or two laying around

I'll shut up now . . .I'm babbling.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  14. HozayBuck

HozayBuck Well-Known Member

So... if you blast some AH with a load of silver buckshot you'd have to say the scum bag was worth more dead then alive.... my bad... lol

15. The_Blob

actually dropping molten shot from the top of a tower into a water bath is a very old idea (pre-colonial?)

also, you need to HEAT the mold up, a LOT, so that the Ag doesn't start to solidify before casting the entire bullet...

...it's not nearly as quick as Wesley Snipes makes it look in Blade :D

16. questor

well, ya learn something new every day . . .
    Thank you for the info

17. HarleyRider

HarleyRider Comic Relief Member

I've got a whole fridge full of ice cold Silver Bullets. Gotta love that Coors!! :D:D

18. questor

and you live where . . .
    OH . . .wait a mo . . .
    I quite drinking, damn !!

never mind

19. lotsoflead

lotsoflead Well-Known Member

up another 3 dollars. 27.50 per ounce

20. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

That is a Wow!

And we still have some here who write the brilliant "You can't eat gold (or silver)!"

I'd love to see their portfolios.