Would you cross a picket line during a business strike?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by SurviveNthrive, Nov 19, 2010.

1. No, not even a hospital picket line if my child were bleeding! We must stand in solidarity.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Generally no, but I'm not nuts about it...

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. I don't know what I'd do.

4 vote(s)
    13.3%
  4. Generally yes, or it's irrelevant to me, but it's no biggie.

8 vote(s)
    26.7%
  5. Definitely, I'd cross it repeatedly, sometimes skipping, always smiling and waving!

13 vote(s)
    43.3%
  6. I like Diet Cherry Pepsi. Union/Management talk makes me uneasy.

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  1. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

This is something I'm wondering about...there's already some in a union striking at certain businesses and that union hasn't gotten it's stuff to gether yet.

Should I stand in solidatity with my other Union members?

Should I support the free market and let that decide?

What if there's a really good sale?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  2. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Can I drink a non-diet Cherry Pepsi while I mull that one over?

I think it would depend on the details of the strike.

When we lived in Kentucky a plant went on strike. More properly put, the union made them go on strike over wage negotiations. The workers themselves just wanted to keep their jobs. In the end, it never settled, and the factory closed and moved to Mexico. That would have been right about 10 years ago.

There are a lot of reasons for a strike, and I would decide differently according to the situation.

*BURP* Oops, excuse me. That was a GOOD cherry pepsi. Thanks, SNT! :D

3. Calebra

Calebra Well-Known Member

First off--cherry pepsi is an abomination--deluting the nectar that is pepsi is offensive and should be punished by forsable switch to coke.:p
    But seriously--Gypsysue is exactly right--if it's a strike because of horrid working conditions or something like that it's one thing but if it's a bunch of overpaid goverment workers whining that their annual raises that were delayed--well,I'd cross the line . Probably thump a few heads while I'm their for slowing me down :).

4. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

I voted that I don't know what I'd do because it would depend on the situation. Here in our area right now there are several teachers union strikes making the news every day. I think they are ridiculous because they are protesting their lack of raises or whatever in this economy and they only work like 9 months out of the yar to start with. I have no problem with their arrangement-they chose to teach so they get the perks. That said, shut up and be thankful. Yeah you don't deserve to be crapped on or taken advantage of, but don't expect much sympathy.

I've been in 2 unions and didn't like either one. Now I have a good, stable, non union job for which I am thankful every single day.

I remember one time seeing a picket line of plumbers or pipefitters or something. They had signs up protesting their wages and there was a group of maybe 20 of them standing in front of their place of employment. Here's the kicker: there were no less than 8 or 10 full dresser, chromed out Harleys sitting there that obviously belonged to the strikers. I flipped them off as I drove past.

5. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

Unions have long outlived their usefulness. A handful of people making their living off the backs of the working people. :mad:

6. HozayBuck

HozayBuck Well-Known Member

True story...

In 1980 my wife was driving home from the small MT town near our new home and had to go up a dirt road which also lead to a mine.

the union from the big mining town "Butte" sent their stooges over to set up picket lines because the mine wasn't union.

It seems they piled rocks out in the road and were cussing and spitting at anybody driving up the road.. that was bad enough for my wife with out 2 year old son in the car..

But one of these sleeze bags was driving up and down the road forcing people almost off the road.. and my wife did go off the road but got stopped and then headed home, got there crying and told me.. I was so Fng mad I grabbed my sawed off 12 ga and headed down there I was a bit crazy and so mad I was about to pop a vein..

After I read them the riot act and said if the brave AH who ran my wife and baby off the road would step out I'd end his strike right then..

I wasn't waving the gun but it was in plain sight, and it got damn quiet.. I told them I and others lived up this road and they were to move the rocks and stay off the road way..

Well nobody wanted to admit to the car deal so I went home.. later one of the ladies who was a dispatcher told me they went the Sheriffs office and told him what I said and about me having a gun...

He asked them if there was rocks on the road, they said not anymore, he asked if the person driving recklessly was still there and they said no we sent him home... he said well no more of that and stay off the road way...

When they asked him about my actions he said well.. I know him and if yawl run his wife off the road again somebody's gonna get killed..

I did get a lecture a couple of days later.. and a finger shaking but I told him that had he gotten off his *** and out of the office instead of drinking coffee and out doing his job there wouldn't have been an issue..

We never did like each other.. I ran against him next election , I didn't win but neither did he !! hahahhaah

So..screw the unions.. look at what their leadership does these days..how many millions did they spend in the last election? for what ? to buy votes for Liberal politicians..

I'll go out of my way to cross a picket line.. in this day and age no workers are being abused or treated like slaves..

But I'm better now days.. as long as I take my meds :2thumb: I was a fire brand back in the day.. but you don't mess with my family or friends.. ever.. theyz all I got.. :)

7. lexsurivor

lexsurivor Well-Known Member

IMHO we can thank the unions for all those made in china and Mexico tags.
    You could also add unemployment to that list. If you look at it from an employers perspective I would move my factory too. You hire people to a wage they agree to. Then they decide $20 an hour isint enough to put a screw in a hole. So they get their union and hold a strike saying they dong get enough money. And we wonder why companies out source to countries where people are grateful to have a job. Owners don't run the businesses, unions do.

8. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

I was in our area's Sheet Metal Workers union, got my papers and everything, but I hated the job. I was not good at it and did not like it so I left on good terms. I did not like the way they trained us, but honestly most of the problems I had were with people, not the union. After that I took a factory job in a transformer plant that was under the Stelworkers union. I've never seen such lazy, ungrateful, ignorant people. Everybody just stood around and nonone had any drive to actually do anything. There The top rate was like $15 an hour 3 years ago, but the overtime was literally limitless. The union reps would just walk around all day bs'ing, saying that they were on union business, but they were usually playing cards and talking sports, while their machines sat idle, thereby not helping the plant make money. I'm no company man, but if your employer makes and sells widgets, and your job is widget final assembly and you play cards instead of doing your job, it seems to me that the company can't sell widgets, so how do they afford to pay you?

9. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

Years ago I had a friend (non-union) that worked in an office as management. The rest of the plant was union. One day one of his fluorescent bulbs burnt out so he went looking for a replacement. A union rep got wind of this and confronted him about it. He was told in no uncertain terms that bulb replacement was a union job to go back to his (semi-dark) office and he would get a union man over there in a couple hours to fix it. What a joke!

10. HozayBuck

HozayBuck Well-Known Member

Lex
    tell us again how old you are? seems to me your still in your mid teens ? so where did you get so smart? I know adults that couldn't put your comment together... and your dead solid perfect in your annalist of the problem..

But you need to also realize that big business would have moved off shore anyway just to make more profits , the unions just gave them the excuse to do so .

11. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

There has also been an increased emphasis by labor unions in the political arena, the strategy being that they can accomplish their goals through means other than collective bargaining. Indeed, the number of paid union lobbyists has increased substantially since 1980. Further, union Political Action Committees ("PACs") received an increase in total receipts from $34.5 million in 1975-76 to $68.9 million in 1987-88, again doubling every decade since, until the unprecendented reported union PAC expenditures on federal campaigns in 2008 totaled $337 million! :eek: That would be the unreported "in kind" contributions and expenditures that labor organizations routinely make. This would include phone banks staffed by union employees and members, publicity, printing, and mailing services for campaign material that is sent out to union members and their families, registration for "get out the vote" drives which allegedly are "non-partisan," but are targeted to union supporters who will get out and vote for the candidates supported by their union, and union employees working as political organizers among union members and their families.

The real question would appear to be this: "why has organized labor's political and economic influence continued to thrive, despite a decline in union membership on the private sector side?" The answer is that organized labor has many extraordinary privileges and immunities that were created by legislatures and the courts.

There are numerous examples of this. The Clayton Act of 1914 exempts unions from anti-monopoly laws. The Norris-Laguardia Act of 1932 and anti-injunction acts give labor organizations immunity from injunctions against trespass on an employer's property. The principle of exclusive representation, which is embedded in all of our labor relations statutes, enables unions to deprive employees of the right to make their own employment contracts. Unlike other parties in the economic marketplace, unions can compel employers to bargain in good faith with them. Unlike other employees, union-represented employees have the right to strike; that is, to refuse to work while keeping their job. And, unlike any other private organization, except for some state bar associations, unions can compel individuals to support them financially in 29 states under the National Labor Relations Act, all states under the Railway Labor Act, and many states under public sector labor relations acts. This is not a minor issue; there are many employees who oppose organized labor's political and, for that matter, bargaining goals. For example, while 95% or more of organized labor's political contributions and expenditures has supported Democrats since 1976, between 36%-43% of the voters from union households have voted Republican, depending on the particular election year, according to polling data that was published in the New York Times in November of 2004.

Another privilege that the unions have is in the Federal Election Campaign Act, which exempts unions from its limits on campaign contributions and expenditures as well as some of its reporting requirements. Unions are free to spend unlimited amounts on communications to members and their families in support of or opposition to candidates for federal office, and they need not report these expenditures if the communications are in union publications that are primarily devoted to other subjects.

Finally, and perhaps the worst example of these special privileges and immunities, is the Enmons decision [United States v. Enmons, 410 U.S. 396 (1973)] in 1973, in which the United States Supreme Court held that union violence is exempted from the Hobbs Act, which makes it a federal crime to obstruct interstate commerce by robbery or extortion.

12. lexsurivor

lexsurivor Well-Known Member

Thanks. I just turned 15 a month ago.

13. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

I belong to a union. there's no choice in the matter for us in our job category.

Our pay has not only stagnated for several years, but it's going down...yet we still pay union dues. Our benefits costs go up each year. We're losing ground and the union folks still draw their pay for doing NOTHING.

Well, not nothing...they support illegals, homosexuality and entitlement. I have no idea how supporting illegals has anything to do with helping us workers and what does someone's sexual orientation have to do with labor-management negotiatons? Why is money spent on foreign countries by our union?

It's frustrating, but to be able to work, we have to join a union in many cateogries.

Without the union, I don't know what will happen, but those non union types don't seem to be fairing all that well either.

14. armchair

armchair Member

Is the diet cherry Pepsi caffene free?

15. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

No sugar? No caffeine? :eek: :gaah:

That takes the fun out of it!

:D

16. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

:gaah: you might as well drink salt water (with sweetener) :gaah:

17. Woody

Woody Woodchuck

I also believe that union’s have outlived their usefulness. Back when I worked for a living I had lots of friends who were union folks. It seemed they were always going to a strike or picketing some place or other for something.

I only had one union job experience when I was a carpenter, framing on a union job. I did not have to join but we were told we had to pay dues and union benefits would be withheld from out pay. The money was almost twice what we were being paid and it was a good winter job so the small company I worked for took it.

First thing we were told was that it was a union job and we were there to frame and put up the fire walls, that’s it. We had to sign papers and have a safety meeting and some other stuff. We also would have two union men joining us. It seems we were not ethnically diverse enough to comply with union rules so these men would be on our payroll. My boss told us that he bid accordingly and if they did any work at all it was a bonus. Well, sure enough one of the men sat in the break room keeping warm and reading the paper all day. The other at least went around sweeping and helping to clean up and stack lumber and such. One day I was putting in a fire wall and there was a roll of wire and some electrical boxes in the way. I went to the shop steward and he told me someone would be along to move them for me. I waited around for at least an hour as I remember and no one came by. On the sly I slowly moved the stuff along the wall with my feet so that I could get another sheet of rock up. Then again for another sheet. The steward saw me and called my boss. I was told not to do anything until they came back from a meeting. I damn near lost my job for touching something that another union was responsible for! Eventually, while I was being read the riot act, an electrician came along and moved the stuff out of my way.

Bottom line on the pay? I do not remember the actual numbers but do remember that the pay was not all that much more than what I was getting working non union. The union dues and benefits took a hefty chunk out of my bottom line. That was the only time I ever worked on a union job.

18. Tirediron

Tirediron RockyMountainCanadian

Unions had their time, now they just get more people on the intitlement band wagon and incourage the members to vote lieberal to get government that wants to shut down the very bussinesses that they work at.
    I would still have trouble crossing a picket line because I believe that people should stand up for their rights. But any threat of a Bully type nature and they just made an enemy that they don't want.

19. flatwater

flatwater Well-Known Member

Unions have turned into the same thing our Government has, to big and unresponcible.

20. kyfarmer

kyfarmer Well-Known Member

Unions are job killers not job keepers, period. They have destroyed the mining industry in this area.