Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine that has Barbq rest. has his smoker up for sale. Actually, im using it today, as he doesnt any longer. Hes trying to persuade me to buy it.
Its well made , (1yr old) with covered top, gas wood starter, like new,,he paid $2200 then had top added. He will sell to me for 2k, maybe 1900. (6monthly payments)

I see me using it about 6-10x per year, and i suppose it would serve a great useage as a prep item wshtf. Id like to have it but it doesnt initally appear to be money well spent.

What say you?

·
Good ole country folk
421 Posts
A friend of mine that has Barbq rest. has his smoker up for sale. Actually, im using it today, as he doesnt any longer. Hes trying to persuade me to buy it.
Its well made , (1yr old) with covered top, gas wood starter, like new,,he paid $2200 then had top added. He will sell to me for 2k, maybe 1900. (6monthly payments)

I see me using it about 6-10x per year, and i suppose it would serve a great useage as a prep item wshtf. Id like to have it but it doesnt initally appear to be money well spent.

What say you?
I can think of lots of better preps to buy with 2 Grand.

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
Yea, that's quite a chunk of change for something that only gets used a few times a year. If you're looking to smoke meat for preservation, there are cheaper ways to do it.

·
Registered
837 Posts
2 grand buys a lot of pails,mylay bags,O2 absorbers, rice,beans,wheat, sugar,salt ect. The smoker will be a boat anchor when the SHsTF

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
seems kind of pricey for a used unit...

Looking at this the only reason I would consider it is if you were going to start a business pre-SHTF to basically pay for the thing... if you recoup your money, does it really matter how much it is? :dunno:

I try to apply that philosophy to as much as I can in my life, there are many things I would not own if the net cost did not end up being zero or negative (this computer for one)...

·
Reverend Coot
3,848 Posts

What say you?
I run a part time bbq caterin business, send a pick so I can see what yall lookin at. That price seems a bit high on a used smoker, even though it only be a year old, still be used an they go cheaper.

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
My uncle owns a pig roaster that we built from scratch when I was a kid. It's a 5oo gallon steel gasoline tank with a stainless steel spit and an electric motor that spins the pig real slow. It's on a chassis that originally had wheelbarrow tires and now has donut spare tires and it has a tounge to be pulled with a truck/small tractor, but when we move it any distance it goes on a trailer.

With some help from my uncle's place of employment all the components were scrounged or fabbed in house and the thing cost essentially zero. We use it 2-3 times a year and it's held up for years.

In summary, if you want a cooker you can probably get one a lot cheaper than that. If you've got the money though, they are a lot of fun. Ask yourself if the benefits will outweigh the financial expense.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I send you a pic,,,i dont have to have it,,,i havent been able to justify spending that much on something like that. i guess the monthly installments made it a little more attractive...

·
edirPsmaP
1,587 Posts
If you have free use of it I see no reason to buy it if he is going to let you borrow it.
Since he is trying to persuade you to buy it I am sure he would be willing to come down a LOT more on the price! I would not pay more than 50% of new value since it is used.

·
Banned
399 Posts
I send you a pic,,,i dont have to have it,,,i havent been able to justify spending that much on something like that. i guess the monthly installments made it a little more attractive...
Monthly installments have put more people out on the street than just about anything else. Many years ago I decided not to buy anything I couldn't pay for in cash. You would be amazed how fast the cash piles up when you don't have monthly payments.

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
Monthly installments have put more people out on the street than just about anything else. Many years ago I decided not to buy anything I couldn't pay for in cash. You would be amazed how fast the cash piles up when you don't have monthly payments.
:2thumb: :congrat: AMEN! :2thumb: :congrat:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Picture

Paying $2k upfront or 5x$400 is really not the issue, but, i see what you are saying i wouldnt finance it. Im sure i could build a smoker from brick for much less, i did enjoy the results.
I can probably use it as long as he has it, but he is about to began advertizing it, just wanted to give me first chance. This idea surfaced when he wanted to buy my truck and trade the smoker in on it, but, i dont like car payments so i declined.

Attachments

·
Banned
3,707 Posts
No debt? House and land paid for? Vehicles paid for? Lots of preps, including about 10 years or more food and supplies? Lots of money in the bank, coins in the home vault? Do you own a big herd of beef or pork for slaughtering? Got a stocked pond and chickens? Have a secure water source? Have lots of reinforcements and a location that will be safe from an urban area?

If you can answer yes to all of these questions, I would say yes. If not, then no. It is too big to use on a daily basis and really not practical, unless you have a family of 25 or more.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Smoker

Answer to most of those questions is yes....I live alone on my BOL, with 6 acre pond & couple old vehicles paid for. I have had cows & may again, have some goats & donkeys, no chickens, plan to this fall. I have about 1yr in preps. Originally, my concept of having this smoker was to be a way of cooking with wood WSHTF, although its time consuming, its survival. However, i plan to look into building a permament smoker/cooker on my property.

·
Still waiting for the zombies.
1,596 Posts
I've got a Char-Griller Duo with Side firebox. One side is normal propane gas grill with a side burner. The other side is a charcoal grill which can also be used as a smoker if you move the coals to the side firebox instead. Cost around $300.

Sure it can't be towed and won't make as much food at once but it leaves you with $1700 to spend on other stuff.

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
That is a great looking smoker - and - if you were running a business and making money, I would say that the price is good. But, if you are just looking for a smoker that will "cost" you money, there are many choices that would be better suited for a personal need.

I can buy a brand-new smoker (similar to that) minus the trailer wheels from BassProShops for 1/4 the price of that unit.

I would suggest that unless you want to go into the food-industry as a full-time business, that isn't the right choice ...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Im thinking not also, i will go online & see what plans i can find to build something onsite....however, my son n law called to tell me he may go in halves with me.....:dunno:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.