Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a question. I could just describe a how-to or video it if enough interest. I noticed no-one mentioned they carry a tire flat repair kit in their car.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK... here it is anyway,

I just did this because I noticed no one mentioned a tire repair in what they carry in their vehicle.
You get a flat tire. No- one in sight. What do you do? First off, carry a tire repair kit. It is about $5 at a local store. Do you have some water or something to reveal where the puncture is? We carry spray bottles and just spray the tire. You will see bubbles coming from the puncture. Mark it if you can. Most likely it will be a nail and pull it out by prying with your knife and then use a multi tool to pull it out. The instructions, if still there will tell you to pierce the tire with the rasp handle and rotate it. It roughs up the rubber. The next tool you get in the kit is a needle looking thing with a handle. Take the rubbery brown goopy piece you get and pull it over the “u” in that tool. Equal sides a “u” if you can see that.
Now that you have that on the second tool with a handle, Plunge it into the big hole you created with the first serrated tool. Draw it up and the goopy tire plug will stay in the tire. You will have about ½” or more of goopy plug sticking out. It will wear off as you drive. If you are prepared, you have a compressor in your trunk. We use a Truck Air. 12 volts and they make the crap compressors you pay money for at a gas station that charges for air. But off road the fill a huge truck tire in about 3 minutes. We have filled 32” off road truck tires with this. That is why we bought it.
Another tip might be to carry a spare tire. You will need the old fashioned tire iron.
The flat part was not meant to pull off your hubcap. Find an old farmer and ask him how to put a tire on a rim. He will use that and not the automatic rig that a tire store uses. It is a tire mounting wedge.

·
Zookeeper
145 Posts
I call my hubby or my brother... Then walk home. I can change or patch my bicycle tire, and i do carry a repair kit for it. As much of a PITA as that is, I can't imagine changing the tire on a full-size vehicle.

Is there a reason to pull the nail out? I've heard one should leave it in if possible and seal around it.

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
Thanks, model130! That sounds like something we could all learn and actually be able to do! Great share!

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
model130 thanks for the info.

When was the last time you all checked the air pressure in your spare tire?
I assumed that everyone had tire repair, a jack, lug wrench and the know how to use them. A can of liquid tire repair is also in each one of our vehicles along with a small 12vdc compressor. I also keep a CO2 cylinder and a air lug wrench in my travel trailer to facilitate the changing, replacement and filling of tires.
Thought I would share this old trick with you, when a tire has gone flat and will not seal against the bead while filling with air, just jack it up off the ground, wrap a heavy cord or rope around the outside circumference of the tire, may take a couple of turns, tie in a square knot, then take your tire iron, stick, large screwdriver or such and start tightening the rope by twisting it, this will in turn cause the tire to bulge against the rim thus sealing the bead, then proceed to fill tire. One note make sure you have cleaned any debris off the bead prior to doing this.

·
www.veggear.blogspot.com
720 Posts
Good info. The nail needs to come out so the plug can fit. With the patch kit and air compressor you can repair the tire right on the vehicle. No need for the spare, unless it's a blow out or you mangled the rim. I whipped up a 12v compressor for about $35. Find a car with air shocks like a Lincoln or Caddy in the junk yard and pull the compressor. It's about $5 at the local picknpull. I used a well pressure switch from Homedepot to comtrol the psi. I will get around to doing a write up on it for my blog someday, but if you're handy, you get the idea.

·
I invented the internet. :rofl:
3,698 Posts
My wife once plugged a nail hole by pulling the nail then coating it with super glue and putting it back in the hole. Got her through long enough to have the tire repaired.

·
Comic Relief Member
980 Posts
I would be interested in repairing a tire on the road, but a lot would depend on if the car was still moving or not. :D :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
I have a couple tire repair kits in the shed.
Guess they don't do me much good there do they? :rolleyes:

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
I have (and have used) my tire-plugs, fix-a-flat-in-a-can, tire-spoons and the great hydraulic systems as well for changing tires, plugging tires, replacing valves, etc. I keep a can of fix-a-flat in each vehicle for the slow-leaks (the type that you can't easily find) and for the larger holes in the tires I use the plugs.

I have taught my little lady to change a tire, but, she seems to think showing a little breast is easier ... :sssh:

·
Registered
155 Posts
I call my hubby or my brother... Then walk home. I can change or patch my bicycle tire, and i do carry a repair kit for it. As much of a PITA as that is, I can't imagine changing the tire on a full-size vehicle.

Is there a reason to pull the nail out? I've heard one should leave it in if possible and seal around it.
Please say you are kidding?

·
I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...
1,799 Posts
Aemilia--When my daughter started drivers ed, my husband took her out to the cars we own and gave her the instruction manuals. She had to use the books and figure out how to change a tire. My husband was out there with her if she had any questions, but she had to do the work herself. Perhaps your husband can do the same for you? Yes, it can be a PITA, but so is being stuck on the side of the road with a dead cell phone battery, in the dark, rain or snow, with no help in sight.

·
Zookeeper
145 Posts
Please say you are kidding?
About which part? I have called for help, and I have walked home before; but for reasons that needed a mechanic.

mdprepper said:
so is being stuck on the side of the road with a dead cell phone battery, in the dark, rain or snow, with no help in sight.
If its dark, raining or snowing, I'm not likely to be driving. Sorry. :surrender: I have some fears of being in a car under those conditions, especially snow. (And yes, I live in Montana. I threaten to leave the state every winter, then fall in love with it again in the spring.)

And I have changed a tire before. On a car. We have a truck. I don't want the jack to slip and drop it on my foot. I'm not sure I can turn the lug nuts. And I think the spare is underneath, with grease & grime. :gaah: But I shall ask my DH about the tire, and have him show me when he is off work. :)

I will let you all know how it goes.

PS - sorry, I'm not trying to be goofy, I'm just on cloud nine from passing my ham test. It proves that I can still think, that my kids haven't zapped all my braincells.

·
Adventurer at large
541 Posts
One tip - if y'all do have to use 'fix-a-flat' or some other spray sealer in a tire, please tell the tire guy BEFORE he tries to dismount it from the rim - these sprays are often flammable, and can result in injury.
SLIME brand is better - not flammable. "Ride-On TPS" is a brand a lot of motorcyclists like. Both are put into the tire (or tube for us dual-sport MC riders) and provides puncture protection all the time.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bigdog. A great point. Fix a flat should only be used in an extreme emergency without any other means. I can and will explode and can unbalance your tire as well. Very good point there.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I carry fixaflat, aircomp. and plugs in all trucks and the ATV. With a flashlight, the one thing i hate is to be stranded because of a dang flat. Short of a shreaded tire and no spare i'll be ready to go. Never use that fixaflat stuff unless nothing else can work and it will go bad over time it does not last for ever if you have an old can over one year old, chuck it and get new. 90% chance after about a year it will let you down. Take this from someone who should have known better me.

·
I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...
1,799 Posts
A long time ago I used to install tires. I pulled the valve stem from a tire filled with fix-a-flat. The customer did not tell me about it or put the marking sticker on it. It shot out with such force that the liquid actually broke the skin on my arm, neck and face. Hurt like crazy, had to get a Tetnus shot too. If you are going to use fix-a-flat be sure to use the sticker to mark the tire and tell them you used it, so your tire installer doesn't get hurt!!

·
www.veggear.blogspot.com
720 Posts
I whipped up a 12v compressor for about $35. Find a car with air shocks like a Lincoln or Caddy in the junk yard and pull the compressor. It's about $5 at the local picknpull. I used a well pressure switch from Homedepot to comtrol the psi. I will get around to doing a write up on it for my blog someday, but if you're handy, you get the idea.

Ok, I just got the write up. posted if anyone wants details It's on my blog.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I bought a 12v one from Sears a while back, it also has a battery charger. Now all I need is a tire patch kit, forgot all about that.:scratch

1 - 20 of 26 Posts