Words to live by

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by HarpeR, May 5, 2009.

1. HarpeR

HarpeR Guest

What are some of your favorite mottos and quotes to live by?

One of mine is the very common, "To each his own."
    Along with all those other whatever turns you on, blows your dress up, tickles your pickle, cremes your twinkie, tickles your fancy, floats your boat....you know!

2. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

Do unto others as you would have others do unto you.

If everyone lived by this one simple sentence, the world would be a much better place. :)

3. Canadian

Canadian Well-Known Member

You are what you eat.

4. Ramkitten

Ramkitten Member

HYOH=Hike your own hike (I know, all the backpackers are rolling their eyes at that one), but I kind of apply to lots of things.

5. rhrobert

rhrobert Happy in the hills

An eye for an eye

6. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

I have a few sayings that I either heard somewhere or I came up myself ..

• Always expect the un-expected
    • Its better to be naked with your friends than to be clothed with your enemies
    • Two is one - one is dead
    • Family first
    • Let me help you
    • Thou shall not kill - unless its tasty on the BBQ

7. Battly

Battly Guest

It's true.

I like "When the world overcomes power, the world will know peace." by one of my favorite very talented rock gods, Jimi Hendrix.

8. Canadian

30 is the new 20.

9. northernontario

northernontario Well-Known Member

It takes a big man to wear pink. It takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

10. Canadian

Booya Grandma! Booya!

11. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Expect the worse and hope for the best.

12. backlash

backlash Well-Known Member

Don't get your panties in a wad. :D
    AC

13. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers, 1931

14. Expeditioner

Expeditioner Well-Known Member

This is a variation on Dean's quote......my MOI used to say:

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

"Duty is the sublimest word in the English language" Robert E. Lee

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  15. The_Blob

I have always tried to live by that philosophy, but never knew it was an actual quote...

16. The_Blob

The only freedom which deserves the name is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental or spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest.

John Stuart Mill

17. The_Blob

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

John Stuart Mill

18. Canadian

Whatever.

I try not to live by "whatever" but sometimes...

19. Viking

Viking Well-Known Member

Here's a saying I claim for myself considering it so fits my life. I've done so much with so little for so long that I can do almost anything with nothing.

20. The_Blob

I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
    Robert A. Heinlein