Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HAZEL DELL, Wash. (AP) - A Vancouver, Wash., woman accused of offering to sell her 3-day-old son for $500 in a Taco Bell restaurant in southwest Washington has been arrested on previously issued warrants.

The Columbian reports that Clark County sheriff's deputies are asking prosecutors to consider charging 36-year-old Heidi Lynn Knowles with attempted child selling, a Class C felony.

In a sheriff's bulletin, Sgt. Phil Sample says officers responded Thursday night to a 911 call from a woman who said another woman approached her in the restaurant, handed her the baby and offered to sell him.

Sample says deputies found Knowles at a motel with the infant, who appeared to be in good health. They called for Child Protective Services, which took custody of the baby.

Sample says the woman denied trying to sell the child.

Deputies took statements from the 911 caller, a companion of hers and a Taco Bell employee.

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
I guess it's going to come down to one woman's word against the other. Be interesting to know if she was trying to raise drug money or what her reasons were, if she really was trying to sell the baby. Maybe she had no money or home? Wonder what the previous warrants were for? If you see any updates on the story, would you post it?

Wish I could raise that child!

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Last night the news said police were reviewing security tapes and eyewitnesses.

·
edirPsmaP
1,587 Posts
Ok, how come I never seem to find deals this good on babies!! My last one cost over $30,000!! In doctor and hospital bills that is!

All joking aside, it is terrible that a woman would feel that she had no other option than to sell her baby for whatever reason. I hope that at the very least children services get involved and do what is in the best interest of the child and insure that the child is safe.

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
As much as I am NOT a fan of Child Services, this IS the kind of activity they should be investigating...

·
I put SAs on IGNORE!
2,426 Posts
Ok, how come I never seem to find deals this good on babies!! My last one cost over $30,000!! In doctor and hospital bills that is!

All joking aside, it is terrible that a woman would feel that she had no other option than to sell her baby for whatever reason. I hope that at the very least children services get involved and do what is in the best interest of the child and insure that the child is safe.
ha! I was thinking the same, not to make light of what happened, but I would have "bought" that baby and went to authorities, asked if I could keep it, legally of course, until I could get all the paperwork in... But then again, "they" probably would have arrested me as well! As twisted up as this world is....

·
edirPsmaP
1,587 Posts
ha! I was thinking the same, not to make light of what happened, but I would have "bought" that baby and went to authorities, asked if I could keep it, legally of course, until I could get all the paperwork in... But then again, "they" probably would have arrested me as well! As twisted up as this world is....
No, do not go to authorities you go to a lawyer with the mom! Have mom sign over the baby to you and then have lawyer file paperwork with the courts. Then do all that the court requires. It happens more often than you think. (Considering how many stories I know of personally I would say it happens WAY more often than you think! But in the cases I know of mom was not given any compensation.) Courts take a LONG time to decide these things it seems and once the child has been with you and bonds with you and mom does not change her mind the baby is USUALLY yours!
Of course there is no reason why you can not babysit the child while you are waiting to see the lawyer.
I believe the law allows for some sort of reasonable fee to be paid to mom to cover expenses while this is in the process or for the care of the child. But of course it is also hard to follow cash when the mom is eager to spend it! But do not give mom the cash until AFTER she has signed over the baby and then you can always help mom get back on her feet with a little something.
The more willing mom is to SIGN papers the easier (and more legal) the process!! But you have to have a lawyer that knows what they are doing!

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
:scratch sooo... babies are going on the Prep Item List now? :hmmm:

my parenty used to tell me that I was a K-Mart Blue Light Special, almost as good as Sears, and waaaay less expensive ;)

·
edirPsmaP
1,587 Posts
:scratch sooo... babies are going on the Prep Item List now? :hmmm:

my parenty used to tell me that I was a K-Mart Blue Light Special, almost as good as Sears, and waaaay less expensive ;)
Yep! Going on my list right under the windmill and hand pump for the well! :D
Hmmm...I don't think DH will like me adding that to the list! :rolleyes: Should I just add it and see if he notices??? :sssh: Oh wait...if he does notice he will think he is going to be 'getting some' and that we are going to be self sufficient and MAKE that one ourselves! So much for finding one cheap!

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
kids aren't expensive, the MAINTENANCE PLAN is... :lolsmash:

·
edirPsmaP
1,587 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
UPDATE:

A Vancouver mother accused of trying to sell her three-day-old baby outside a Taco Bell made her first appearance in front of a judge on Monday morning.

Heidi Gasaway covered her face as she left a Clark County courtroom. Prosecutors have charged her with trying to sell her newborn for as little as $500.

Gasaway is also known as Heidi Knowles. KATU is identifying her by the name used in court filings.

The attempted sale took place in a Taco Bell restaurant, police said. According to court documents, investigators said Gasaway approached a woman at the restaurant and made the offer.

Court documents don’t specifically say how much money police said Gasaway was seeking, just that the range was between $500 and $5,000.

The woman told police she refused to buy the baby and called 9-1-1.

Gasaway faces a felony charge and up to five years in prison if convicted.

KATU spoke with a friend of Gasaway outside the courtroom. The woman didn’t want to be identified, but said she is worried about her friend’s mental condition.

The child is now in state custody.

Oliver Morris, who owns a motel near the Taco Bell where Gasaway stayed, said he’s shocked by the case, but sees some good news in the mess.

“At least the baby’s alive,” he said.

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
Thanks for posting the update, Irritated. Wow, I wonder if she's just a flake or was just so discouraged and hopeless , or a druggie. Sad.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
UPDATED:

A homeless woman accused of trying to sell her newborn son at the Hazel Dell Taco Bell will not face a felony charge because she wasn't successful with the sale, prosecutors said.

Prosecutors charged Heidi Knowles, also known as Heidi Gasaway, with attempted child selling, a gross misdemeanor, as opposed to child selling, a Class C felony.

The crime is only a felony when the alleged sale is completed, said Senior Deputy Prosecutor Dustin Richardson.

Prosecutors allege that Knowles, 36, approached the woman in the restaurant, handed the newborn to her and offered to sell him for a price between $500 and $5,000, according to court documents.

The woman declined the sale and called 911.

Richardson said since the evidence doesn't support a charge of child selling, his hands are tied. Still, the deputy prosecutor said: "I really found the behavior to be quite disturbing."

A gross misdemeanor is punishable by a stay in the county jail and a fine, or both, while felony convictions can result in a prison sentence of a year or more, in addition to a fine.

Knowles was arraigned July 22 in Clark County District Court. A pretrial hearing was set for Aug. 2.

Responding to the 911 call the evening of July 14, deputies found Knowles at Kay's Motel on Highway 99 with the infant, who appeared to be in good health. They called for officials with Child Protective Services, who took custody of the baby.

Deputies said Knowles appeared to be under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

Deputies declined to reveal the baby's name and said they didn't know who the father is.

A no-contact order was issued Monday, barring Knowles from contact with her son, who was born July 11.

She remains in the Clark County Jail on $50,000 bail.

-------------------------------------------------
A homeless woman accused of trying to sell her newborn son at the Hazel Dell Taco Bell will not face a felony charge because she wasn't successful with the sale, prosecutors said.

SoOoOo....all the people that were charged with attempted rape and attempted murder should be released based on this logic of "wasn't successful" in a crime. What about the drug dealers who got busted
before selling anything??

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Oh, see, I thought that the chick was trying to sell her baby to Taco Bell.... I always figured that it wasn't really beef in those burritos, but I had no idea it was made from babies!

To paraphrase Charlton Heston, "It's people! Taco Bell is PEOPLE!!!":ignore:

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
Turtle...lol! I always wondered why it was hard to identify the meat when I eat at Taco Bell! :D (I guess you've seen "Soylent Green!")

If they didn't harass people so much when the give babies up for adoption there might be more people who do so.

However, I suspect this woman wasn't so much about getting rid of the child as possibly trying to raise drug or alchohol money. :dunno:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts