Winter 2011

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by NaeKid, Aug 13, 2011.

1. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

I am sorry to inform you all that winter of 2011 / 2012 will be extremely harsh. :eek:

I have studied animal behavior for years, and this afternoon I saw my second flock of Canadian Geese heading towards the south in their normal V-formation. What that tells me that they are starting their annual migration and I have never (EVER) noticed the geese heading south this early in the season. Normally they don't start heading out till food starts to get a little more scarce which is at the end of August / beginning of September. They are almost a month early! :gaah:

I'll be speeding-up my winter preparations to have them done by the end of September instead of what I normally have done by the end of October ...

:soapbox2:

2. ditzyjan56

ditzyjan56 Well-Known Member

I wish I hadn't heard that. :cry: I am so far behind in my preps for winter it's not funny. My daughter and her family moved in with me in May and I still haven't got organized yet from that. Better get myself in gear fast.

3. Elinor0987

Elinor0987 Supporting Member

I had to check it out after reading that. According to the Farmer's Almanac Winter Outlook, it's going to be cold and very snowy here in Illinois for the upcoming winter. :mad: I'll have to buy more cans of propane for my heater while they're still easily available.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  4. ZoomZoom

ZoomZoom Rookie Prepper

I've been scrambling to fill the wood shed to make sure I have enough for a couple years.

What size tanks are you using? Costco has 100# tanks for $89. Filling is running about $75.

5. stayingthegame

stayingthegame Well-Known Member

I live in the southern fly way (Louisiana). been noticing the aminals running around more. squirrels burying and re burying nuts. wonder what in stroe for our area? we had such a long hot hot summer.... by the ways I know it will be a cold winter for us.

6. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Leaves on the underbrush are already turning yellow here.

Naekid, I think you're just trying to send harsh weather down here this winter as payback for the snow we went you from Montana last winter! :D

Anyone hear what the Indians are saying? I heard they have a new chief this year, and the men came to him and asked him if it was going to be a hard winter this year. He told them he would consult with the spirits of the elders, and they should go cut firewood while they wait.

After they left he called up the National Weather service and asked them if it was going to be a hard winter. The answer was "probably". When the men came back with their loads of firewood he told them the spirits of the elders said it was going to be a hard winter, so they should go cut more firewood.

While they were gone he called the weather service again and asked them if they were sure that is was going to be a hard winter. They told him "yes, we're sure. It's going to be a hard winter". When the men once again returned he told them to go cut more firewood.

Once more the chief called the weather service and asked them how they knew it was going to be a hard winter. The answer was "Because the indians are cutting firewood like crazy!"

I guess we'll lay in extra firewood this year.

(I saw this joke in Reader's Digest and Backwoods Home Magazine.)

7. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 Adventurer at large

But.... but.... "Global Warming!"...... "Carbon Offsets!" ....... Uncle Algore says we are supposed to be HOT.....! Help, Uncle Al! :eek:

Hehehehe..... I guess the critters didn't get the memo. They know better than Man what to do, and when to do it! :cool:

8. BillS

BillS Well-Known Member

That would be bad news for most Americans in the north if the collapse happens between now and spring.

9. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

Makes me glad I heat with wood. I still need electric to run the outdoor wood furnace, but I'm not tied into buying extra oil!

10. Elinor0987

Elinor0987 Supporting Member

The heater uses the small 16.4 oz cans but came with a hose so that it could be hooked up to a 20 lb can. I haven't used it yet and normally use the electric oil-filled heaters (the ones that look like radiators) to heat this place. I bought it last year right before the snowstorm hit because we were facing the possibility of losing power here. I only have 14 of the cans and it was a challenge having to look for them all over town at that time of the year. I'm trying to get enough of the propane cans to last at least a week. That should be enough for a temporary power outage without having to modify a charcoal grill and possibly making myself eligible for a Darwin award.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  11. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Nature speaks ...

but most folks don't take the time to listen ...

12. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

Naekid, we have noticed a change in the goose population and behavior around here, confirming your statement. Sail

13. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

While some poo-poo global warming as a "NON-event" I can say that the Canadian Geese used to fly south for the winters in huge flocks that would wake you up at night with the noise.. in the past 15 or so years they no longer do that-they stay here year round. The lakes don't all freeze over unless we have a good cold spell-I used to go ice skating for Christmas I haven't seen a frozen lake in December in quite awhile. My gardening season has also become about 2 to 3 weeks longer-starts earlier in the spring and lasts longer into the fall... The weather has also become more and more "unstable" with stronger spring and summer storms and more snow than what we used to have.
    Several studies on what would happen if the world starts warming up show that the first years will not become the huge "everything's becoming tropical" that global warming suggest but that the warmer temps will cause much weather pattern upheaval and a worsening of storms... Much more extremes in temperature swings.etc... While I don't think we as a people are totally at fault in creating it-mother nature has always had warm spells and cold spells, I sure think that we might be speeding it along.
    There are also schools of thought that think once enuf ice melts it will slow the deep ocean currents(caused by the forming ice leaving the salt behind and the colder heavier salt laden water sinking forms the deep ocean currents) which in turn will change the gulf stream currents that, at the moment, keep the UK and northern EU warmer in the winter. It will then change how warm or cold the land masses will be in the winter.. They even suggest that this will ultimately trigger a small ice age. :dunno:
    You never know-our Mother might decide we are fleas and get rid of us altogether! :eek: All it would take is a good super volcano.;)

14. Homegrowngirl

Homegrowngirl Well-Known Member

I noticed that the leaves on my pumpkins look like they have been frosted, whatever happened to hot August nights? As far as that goes, I don't think that we have had a warm night yet this summer, or last summer too. The garden didn't do as well as I had hoped it would, everything is just behind and I don't think it is going to get caught up either. The carrots, beets and onions did well anyhow, oh and the weeds of course, oh well.

15. ZoomZoom

ZoomZoom Rookie Prepper

Those little cans are expensive for what you get. They're probably 4-5 times more expensive then using a 20# tank.

Since you already have a bunch, you may want to consider getting a refill adapter which refills those little cans from a 20# (or larger) tank.
    Amazon.com: Mr. Heater F276172 1-Pound Disposable Propane Tank Refill Adapter: Patio, Lawn & Garden

16. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

I would say that were you live and the time of year it is you probably got a good dose of "powdery mildew" on your pumpkins.. very common even here for the pumpkins and cucumbers and squashes.

17. TimB

TimB Member

:2thumb: I agree, Andi.

When I was cutting the grass last week, I noticed the squirrels were already cutting pine cones up for the seeds. This doesn't usually happen around here until early September.

Tim

18. lhalfcent

lhalfcent Supporting Member

timely topic. we have some maples around up here already beginning to show color. the horse chestnut trees are already turned to fall colors.
    I can tell my garden is feeling it as things are ripening fast all of a sudden.
    interesting times.

19. kyhoti

kyhoti Member

NaeKid, I saw your geese this morning in NW Georgia. I had a resounding round of "WTF?!" as they flew over head. While we do have a large population of "golf course" geese which reside here year-round, these geese were flying over downtown Atlanta. Golf course geese don't do that. Definitely something screwy going on. The squirrels are also acting, well, squirrelly too.

20. ZoomZoom

ZoomZoom Rookie Prepper

Haven't seen geese around the homestead. Probably because they re-routed them a few years back due to flight patterns coming out of the airport. :(