Wines and liqueurs

Discussion in 'General Food and Foraging Discussion' started by faithmarie, May 9, 2010.

1. faithmarie

faithmarie mamoo

I am interested in buying red wines and or Port..... which ever is healthier and lasts longer. I want to buy at least one case but I don't have a clue what is good.At a good price.
    I also want to buy a liqueur called Arak that is like an anisette type drink. When I was over seas I became awfully sick and I was given a shot of that and everything stopped and I felt better almost immediately.
    And if there are any other suggestions anyone might have.

2. horseman09

horseman09 Well-Known Member

faithmarie, I don't know what part of NY you live in, but the Southern Tier/Finger Lakes area of NY and the Northern Tier of PA (that's where I am) is incredibly rich in wineries. Some really good wines, too! I'd suggest you go on a few of the many wine tours so you can taste a wide variety of wines to help you figure out what you like.. No point in buying a case of something you don't like. Of course, if you buy a case of wine that you DO like, it might not last very long. :)

3. faithmarie

faithmarie mamoo

LOL....... Yeah thats why I want a case. We are in Dutchess County. There are a few wineries here too. You know there are just so many wines to choose it makes me confused. I want it for health purposes anyway. I was wondering if Port wine is healthier than regular wine. And my Dad would always say only drink red wine and called white wine a bad name. He was in to wines.

4. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

5. faithmarie

faithmarie mamoo

Thanks I will check it out. We don't drink. But I believe there are health benefits to wine and some spirits. Like I said the stuff I drank overseas healed me fast. I think it killed what ever bug or food poisoning I had. I would like to find organic wine also.
    I think wine would be a good bartering idem too.

6. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

One martini, two martini, three martini, floor!:D

I like red wine, the mrs likes white. Red wines like, Gamay's, Beaujolais, Cabernet sauvignon or merlot's will keep almost forever. Red ports are the same way, kept cool, out of direct sunlight, will get better over time as they age. French, Spanish, Italian or domestic, will be fine, try a glass and see how you like it, if it tastes good, then buy some and store them away.
    White wines do not keep as long, better to drink sooner.

7. faithmarie

faithmarie mamoo

rhrobert I bought it all on that website you recommended the wine and the Arak.
    BunkerBob I bought the ones you recommended.
    And it will be delivered right to the house. I love the computer!
    Thanks for your help everyone!

8. rhrobert

rhrobert Happy in the hills

Although I don't drink often anymore, I do love a good anise drink. My wife orders her specialty wine from there, so I thought I'd check if they had Arak, and they did.
    The only thing I drink regularly now is a daily shot of homemade elderberry tincture, made with everclear, which is also the only alcohol I stockpile, because it has so many uses.

9. HozayBuck

HozayBuck Well-Known Member

I've found Mad Dog 20/20 goes with anything, plastic bag, paper sack, park bench, doorways... and always a good year...:D

I think I'll stick with Jim beam with some Bushmills for company, I do like a good scotch , funny thing is I seldom drink anymore but when I do I know what I like.. I really should try my hand at beer making again, but my last try ended in dismal failure..1968 !!...

10. Littlebit

Littlebit Well-Known Member

:beercheer:I love a cold beer, but once and awhile a glass of wine will do Ya. My great grand parents drank a class or two of red wine every night. They were not rich and bought mostly low end red wines. Still did the trick. Both lived into there 90's.:)

11. mdprepper

mdprepper I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...

I do not drink often, but when I do I like

Blackberry Merlot- sweet wine no bitter after taste

Homemade coffee liquer- cheaper than the name brand (Kahlua), great taste, you can't go wrong with coffee anything!!

when I am feeling "froggy" I will have a shot of ice cold Jager- that will cure just about anything!

12. faithmarie

faithmarie mamoo

rhrobert What is her specialty wine?? I make tinctures also but I use cheap vodka. Is everclear better????? I was told it doesn't matter what you use.
    HoseyBuck I havent had ripple since I was in high school in the 70s. lol Same thing isn't it?
    Littlebit I can't get passed the smell of beer..... not even to cook with lol
    I believe you are right low end is just as good for you. My Dad said the same thing.... but he would call white wine cat.... and said it was worthless. lol
    mdpepper Is the elderberry merlot made from only elderberries or more than one fruit? Where do you get it ???
    We used to make the coffee kahlua in the 80s. I don't remember how anymore. I think we used vodka in it. I would like to make it again. What is jager and how does it help.

13. mdprepper

mdprepper I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...

I'm on my way to work I will post my recipe for Kahlua when I get home.

Jagermeister- not quite sure how to describe it, but I swear it works as well as Nyquil!!

I'll find a link for the blackberry merlot and post that when I get home, gotta run!!

14. rhrobert

rhrobert Happy in the hills

It's a Wittmann Riesling from Germany, a white wine, but I don't know exactly what one, it's peachy. I don't care for wine, maybe I drank too much Mad Dog 20/20 when I was younger....is that even really a wine? 30 yrs ago, the ladies loved the TJ Swann and Boones Farm, or maybe I just thought they did. :)

15. faithmarie

faithmarie mamoo

LOL
    Maybe we all drank too much of that stuff. I don't ever want to drink now. Only for medicinal purposes now. Thats how to know you are getting older.

16. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

I am a big fan of Jager as well. I keep a bottle in my desk at work, a bottle in my freezer at home and I try to keep 2 bottles ready at all times in my liquor-zone (where I have all my hard alcohol bottles). I didn't believe what I was told 8 years ago about it, but, I have to say that I am now the healthiest I have ever been by having one or two shots (sipped, not slammed) a day. I savor the flavor and do not use Jager to get slammed.

17. faithmarie

faithmarie mamoo

Okay NaeKid ....what were you told 8 yrs ago! and I am going to get it now!

18. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

I love Jager as an after dinner drink, but growing up in the middle of a Jager bomb craze was kind of scary. People would be so drunk they would just be throwing themselves around the party, while the redbull kept them up.

FOr those who didn't know what arak was...
    Arak (drink) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

19. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

I was told that it was a mix of herbs that when infused would keep all kinds of bugs away and keep a person healthy that was already healthy, or, would help a person get better if they were already sick.

It was originally marketed as a cough-syrup and from what I was told, it is still availble in certain pharmacies in Europe (primarily Germany).