Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
That is a great concept - lots of little wind-catchers setup to capture the wind ... I LOVE IT!!!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One generator provides enough direct power for a 3B2B home. Were surely going with batteries and an inverter.I would have them elevated to avoid thieves and vandalism. They would collect air better elevated.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you have one of these, it's a Federal Mandate that the local power company has to run a line to you on their dime and buy all your excess power. Much cheaper that having power brought it. Like 10K a pole if you know what I mean. ;)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Were also going to run LED Flood lights mounted in the old fashion flush mount ceiling can lights. We will have the same on the outside of the home.
Seen them on Ebay for $30.

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I will say there is absolutely no way the wind spire will run any average house short of an outhouse. I am a professional renewable energy dealer specializing in wind and the first rule is simple
IF IT SOUNDS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT IS!!!!!!!

The absolute minimum for wind turbines is 30ft above anything within 300ft I prefer 50ft above anything within 1000ft. I do not discourage anyone from Wind power quite the opposite actually I live off grid with pv and wind. I simply do not like to see people roped into throwing good money away on products that are not up to the task. Both of the turbines mentioned are not ready for prime time. A turbine on the roof of your house is flat out a bad idea the wind is to turbulent and the vibrations will resonate all through the house tearing it apart.

If you have your heart set on wind look into turbines by Bergey wind power they have a smaller 1-1.5kw machine that is almost bullet proof or another brand would be Kestrel. Before any one buys a turbine I really encourage them to look around ask tons of questions and check out forums line Fieldlines.com: The Otherpower discussion board - Index or Solar Electric Power Discussion Forum by Northern Arizona Wind & Sun - Powered by vBulletin
read and ask lots of questions. Money is tight and times are getting tougher I really hate to see people get sucked into expensive marketing and waste hard earned dollars.

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
Ouch! they raise their price to $8500.00
what's the price for the windspire (all I could find was a nebulous "up to $4800 rebate per unit" which at 30% rebate rate would make each unit about $16k, so I assume they chose a target site with the highest rebate potential to quote that figure)

8500 - 30%(2550) = 5950 ... seems about what the market will bear ( that's just the fed rebate, many areas/utilities also have incentives)

DSIRE: DSIRE Home

Wind and Water Power Program: Wind Powering America

WINDKNOWLEDGE.COM

incentive programs for fed, state, and local

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I made 6 calls to Windspire over the last 9 months and narry a return call. I finally got a hold of them today and the only one there was some 21 year old girl that had clue about anything. Now you have to go through a dealer. Most dealers will only sell you a turn key unit for 16K installed. I found one company that will sell me the Windspire alone but he said they raise there prices because of the new manufacturing facility but also says their and I quote" butt heads to deal with"........ The dealer also said they pretty much priced themselves out of the market.
I think I'll be looking at solar now..............

·
Registered
336 Posts
I also live totally off the grid with both solar and wind. I concur with half crazy as I too know these are cute , but that is about it. I did some heavy checking into these and other brands starting to show up and can honestly tell you they will NOT provide the power advertised. Most of the models in any kind of wind do NOT give you accurate assesments of power gleaned from the wind. What they do give you is MAX power if the wind is so and so miles an hour and something else they never tell you is 2 minutes of wind , even at 50 mph won't really do much. You pretty much need sustained winds to amount to much. It is like a savings account. If you put in $100.00 every say 3 years or so, it really won't amount to much, but if you put in $10.00 every week, it adds up pretty fast.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I also live totally off the grid with both solar and wind. I concur with half crazy as I too know these are cute , but that is about it. I did some heavy checking into these and other brands starting to show up and can honestly tell you they will NOT provide the power advertised. Most of the models in any kind of wind do NOT give you accurate assesments of power gleaned from the wind. What they do give you is MAX power if the wind is so and so miles an hour and something else they never tell you is 2 minutes of wind , even at 50 mph won't really do much. You pretty much need sustained winds to amount to much. It is like a savings account. If you put in $100.00 every say 3 years or so, it really won't amount to much, but if you put in $10.00 every week, it adds up pretty fast.
I'm going Solar for sure now.

·
Registered
336 Posts
One generator provides enough direct power for a 3B2B home. Were surely going with batteries and an inverter.I would have them elevated to avoid thieves and vandalism. They would collect air better elevated.
One thing to keep in mind. If there is little or no wind, there is not going to be any power either. I have a wind gennie to supplement my solar power, and only wish I had more of a steady wind, espeically at night when it would count most

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
One thing to keep in mind. If there is little or no wind, there is not going to be any power either. I have a wind gennie to supplement my solar power, and only wish I had more of a steady wind, espeically at night when it would count most
I live on an airport, on top of a 'mountain' (hill ;) ) so we have a bit of constant wind that is also consistently from the same direction a good % of the time :2thumb: even with that, most of my alternative power comes from the biofuel-run generator... :rolleyes:

·
Sr. Homesteader
437 Posts
I worked in the wind industry for 5 years putting up 3 huge windfarms in Iowa and Minnesota for Clipper Windpower.

30 years ago I had a 1500W Jacobs wind generator here on the homestead - ON THE WINDY COAST OF MAINE! - it did NOT pay!

I know 2 people who are desperately trying to sell their expensive units now.

There are very select areas in the US that it will pay to buy and set up a wind generator, even a smaller version!

Before you go and buy a VERY expensive lawn ornament, you better make a WIND SURVEY for one whole year!

Man alive! - I know better ways to piss away $10,000 to $30,000 than to blow it like that... gawd, don't people really look before they leap?

Oh well, like they say, "there's a sucker born every minute"... :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts