WindPower

Discussion in 'Energy & Electricity' started by NaeKid, Dec 16, 2009.

1. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

I found a windmill on the CanadianTire website for 'bout $800 which is cheaper than what I paid for my 80-watt solar panel that is mounted to my camping-trailer.

AirX 400W Wind Generator | Canadian Tire

I am wondering if purchasing a wind generator like this would be cost-efficient compared to building my own via permanent magnet motors. I would like it to have the most power output (400 watt sounds awesome to me) ... could a "home-built" put out that kind of wattage?

2. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

Here is some Q & A's for that wind gen...
    I don't think you could make one that has all the control circuitry included for that price and wattage. I was going to try one myself, on the travel trailer, make a bracket that attaches to the front hitch.

3. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

Thanks for that info Bob ..

The CanadianTire site has virtually no information about the product on their website. Do you have the site that you were able to copy/paste that information from? I found a little bit at SunPower-Wind.com ... but not as much as you posted. I would love to make this as part of my next test towards self-sufficient power.

4. bunkerbob

Ya sure...Southwest Wind Power Air X Wind Turbine Marine 400W 12V - Air-X Wind Electric Turbines @ AltE:beercheer::beercheer:
    Gotta get back to the pit project...been slacken lately, making orange marmalade from my orange trees, oh shoot, gotta check the sauerkraut too!! Just checked, its smelling ripe like fermenting cabbage, added some salt water to keep it covered.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  5. northernontario

northernontario Well-Known Member

One thing to consider... how much wind will you get? 400w is the max at ideal conditions.

I can't really say whether or not you will spend more than $800 building your own. You probably won't spend $800 in materials... but what is your time worth?

And there is a big difference in technical skill required between buying one to put on a tower, and building one to put on a tower.

Solar and wind make great combinations... just make sure you have plenty of battery capacity to store all that power.

6. bunkerbob

You can go to my site and see how everything is doing with our hybrid system, I built the tower for the wind gen and the rack for the panels by the way. I didn't think I could however build a wind gen that would take the wind load forces here in So Calif(Santa Ana wind 60+mph) as well as a properly engineered one. The Bergey XL1 has loads of features including a mechanical auto furl, which turns the unit out of the wind before over loading the blades.