Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'll fight. They may get my stuff, and get me, but I've vowed to make it very expensive for them.
I just spent two hours at the range today, getting used to my new toy.
Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 semi-automatic.
1500 rounds of ammo stocked so far, 5 [email protected] rounds per. It's a start.
Also have a shotgun, and 38.
At least 4 on my street with guns, and or rifles. Three are dedicated hunters.

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
Well, I'm certainly not going to let someone just take food and supplies my family will need! I would like to think they can be turned away without deadly violence, or put to work helping produce food or whatever needs to be done. But yes, if we had to, we would fight.

It will be scary times indeed, when we have to make the decision to fight/kill. Sad to think what desperation will lead people to do, on both sides of the issue. :(

·
Reverend Coot
3,848 Posts
Yup!:club:

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would indeed fight, and rightfully so. Although I feel in those trying times, it may not be instantly apparent in being able to discern a predator from an ally...I think there may be an influx of cantonments, holding up, squatting, and a noticeable distancing and mistrust of many people thanks in part to the way society "interacts" with itself nowadays.

America would quite possibly revert back to the antebellum, Homesteading days. I think the future following a "shtf" situation might end up looking a lot like the days of the American West, and the western expansion, whereby people get by day to day, lots of drifting, the family nucleus would be forced to strengthen as there would be less distractions, and a higher need for unity in a family to survive, and the government's laws, if any would be left, might take a backseat role to the law of the land. There is one big difference, and it is that there's 300+ million people in this country now...things would get, to say the least, interesting.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
You realize the gun you have is a big, black scary looking 22, right? I wouldn't count on it piercing a good leather jacket but it's great for shooting squirrel.
You want to stand in front of it in your "good leather jacket", and we'll give it a test?

·
Retired Air Force
906 Posts
A 22 can be deadly. A well placed shot to the head is a killer. I have 3 22's for protection. I also have a 223, 308 PTR-91, shotguns and handguns.

A 22 is a great start. You never know, a bad @$$ looking 22 might just deter someone.

Also bees sting, and many bee stings kill!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Back in 1962 12 of us pulled a raid in Cuba and we all carry 22's, besides the side weapons,.........let me tell you, the other side were unable to lift their head for one second without getting hit........22's is more dangerous than what you think................in the US army that was my work horse with a hush puppy at the end.

·
Retired Air Force
906 Posts
Back in 1962 12 of us pulled a raid in Cuba and we all carry 22's, besides the side weapons,.........let me tell you, the other side were unable to lift their head for one second without getting hit........22's is more dangerous than what you think................in the US army that was my work horse with a hush puppy at the end.
Exactly! So easy to dispel a small calibre that is always been thought as practice.

NO MATTER WHAT, a piece of metal flying through the air at 1300 fps is gonna hurt tissue, mass, bone, cartilage, etc.

·
BillM
2,001 Posts
.22 cal

Exactly! So easy to dispel a small calibre that is always been thought as practice.

NO MATTER WHAT, a piece of metal flying through the air at 1300 fps is gonna hurt tissue, mass, bone, cartilage, etc.
A .22 cal round fired from a rifle will kill you deader than a bag of hammers.

I have a close friend that runs a meat processing house.

He kills full grown steers and hogs with a single shot rifle loaded with .22 shorts.

It is a point blank shot but they hit the ground dead.

I wouldn't recomend them for self defence but I don't want to be shot with one either.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I use the same .22 at the range and varmit hunting. Many dismiss this caliber but lets not forget its many uses. In an Eotw situation what type of rounds will be the most common and affordable. This lowly .22 can take down most types of game you will prolly b living off of. Once it gets in this "animal" it will surely bounce around creating a nice stew of tissue n muscle making most unhappy at the least. Most people will not want to draw attention to themselves. I have a .308 but dont always want the entire timber to know what im doing and where i am. Last i knew there were more deaths from a .22 in the U.S. than any other round last year.

As to your ?. For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well organized and armed militia is their best security. -Thomas Jefferson. Not promoting a militia point of view but its good that you know your neighbors and talk with them. In an unfortunate situation its always reassuring to know its not you against the world. No one person can have and do it all to survive. Look @ katrina. Many citizens banded together to protect their street from being looted and rummaged. I have no intentions on letting my family starve if society was to break down. I would hope that this would not happen in my area but katrina was a nasty reminder of how civalized people can turn and of the fantastic job fema did...

·
803 Posts
A 22 can be deadly. A well placed shot to the head is a killer. I have 3 22's for protection. I also have a 223, 308 PTR-91, shotguns and handguns.

A 22 is a great start. You never know, a bad @$$ looking 22 might just deter someone.

Also bees sting, and many bee stings kill!
You are correct, but head shots not required...

Remember a guy named Hinkley? 6 shots from a CHEAP (RG) 22 revolver took down 3 men. Damn near killed all 3 of them. 1 shot in head, 2 body shots.

Don't think a 22 isn't good enough.

Jimmy

·
803 Posts
Oh yeah, I'll fight for me and mine and our stuff.

Jimmy

·
Registered
983 Posts
Yes we will fight. We have worked hard to be at the prep level we are now and if someone who did not have the foresight to prepare thinks we will give up our supplies easily better think again.

·
322 Posts
A long time ago I read an account of a group of anti Castro people who went in witl Remington 66s- the old nylon .22s. Was that you?

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
How do you like that M&P .22? I have actually been looking at those, myself.

And yes, I will fight to defend the things that I will need to survive. I know when to let go of "stuff" and when to fight for what matters.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts