Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have known many members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints who prepare a one year food supply because they obeyed their leader's counsel. These people are good people and they are very kind to all.

Now my concern are for these responsible and humble people. when disater strikes surely food shortage will occur which will usually happen. Will these good people be safe from loooters and robbers?

I mean, they have gold mines inside their cabinets and under their stairs!:confused:

·
Supporting Member
3,243 Posts
I would imagine many of them are prepared to defend their stash as well. I wonder how many folks in the general population even know the mormons store food? We know because we travel in the same circles, but others?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
A lot of people know and the word will spread fast if TEOTWAWKI happens.
Just like everyone else they will only keep their food if they are willing and able to kill those that try to take it.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
I don't know about there, but here the Amish are armed...dh just bought me a youth single shot 20 guage from an acquaintance at the village.

·
Sr. Homesteader
437 Posts
They are hunters.

But they would NEVER never never shoot someone... not even in self defense!

I lived with the Amish for 2 years while learning to farm with horses. That was quite an experience... no electricity, no radios, no TVs, no cars, - no B.S., thier children are like little angels, not spoiled and jaded with the rest of society's horrible baggage like other children are.

I speak Pennsylvania Dutch, lived and dressed like they did, went to thier chruch services, and they trusted me.

I love them... -and am worried about them! They would quickly become victims...

- BC

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
They are hunters.

I lived with the Amish for 2 years while learning to farm with horses. That was quite an experience... no electricity, no radios, no TVs, no cars, - no B.S., thier children are like little angels, not spoiled and jaded with the rest of society's horrible baggage like other children are.

I speak Pennsylvania Dutch, lived and dressed like they did, went to thier chruch services, and they trusted me.

- BC
how long did it take you to go through convincement after you converted?

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
They are hunters.

- BC
You must have lived with Pennsylvania Amish...dh says Joseph let him know noone would hurt his baby or wife---they are armed and not only for hunting.
Ky. Amish must have different values.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
just wanna know jay2

I don't know about there, but here the Amish are armed...dh just bought me a youth single shot 20 guage from an acquaintance at the village.
hi jay2, i do not know the meaning of the amish, what does that refer to or suppose to mean? thank you

·
BillM
2,001 Posts
Mormons

I wouldn't worry much about the Latter Day Saints.

They are not pacificests but actually have a pretty violent track record in history.

:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thank you for that

i was confused at first because I understand amish as an adjective and not as a noun that was why i was confuse. it may be a slang language.

but thank you for that wiki info. it helps =)

I was thinking the Mormons will be flocking to their beautiful chapels for refuge perhaps. Because, imagining the scenario that their would be many hungry people, it would be easier a group when it is isolated than scattered

Do you think the Mormon people will do that?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My understanding of amish

as i read more about the amish people and their way of life I came to know that they do still live in classical lifestyle which I believe hinder their growth and maximize their potential that the Lord of Host wants us to be

I think the amish people do not have cellphones, more of an Ipod -)

I believe those who have amish neighbors are the most eligible to provide answers because out from their testimony we can know of the amish people and their culture =)

·
BillM
2,001 Posts
Mormons

Mormons tend to see themselves as a chosen people and have anticipated a time when they will need a years supply of food. They are and always have been well armed and will fight to protect their famiely members and their church leaders. They are not pacificists! They believe in "blood atonment" for sin. At one point in their history, they declared war on the U S Goverment.
In a time of social and sociatial chaos, I would not try to take a mormans provisions away from him !

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thank you for that

jay, just to say thank you for that =)

it is a great reference -)

we sure can trust wikipedia

·
Citizen
91 Posts
Armed, Well Stocked, and Friendly Mormon...

Hi Folks,

Although I wouldn't want to speak for anyone but myself... Generally speaking we members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints "Mormons" are very thoughtful of our neighbors and will help in a time of crisis. There is ample evidence of this in virtually every country and during all types of calamity.

My family's goal is to prepare what we need for our own needs, our extended family, and our neighbors to the greatest extent possible. We are ALL brothers and sisters after all.

In the spirit of complete disclosure... I am far more concerned about our spiritual well-being than our temporal well-being, as that has far more lasting; even, eternal consequences. That said; I have a sacred obligation and stewardship to care for my family and as many others as I can. I take this seriously and am actively "prepping" like so many of you fine folks. As a side note; that is why I got into the water purifier biz.

In my mind's eye, I see a large log home with outbuildings and supplies, along with about 40 acres of land that can be cultivated. I do not yet have this place of refuge, but it is my chief "material" goal. If "TEOTWAWKI" happens, I see allowing anyone willing to share in whatever resources we may have, if they are willing to help out and care for each other.

If there are marauders who would try to kill us for food or control, or for some other reason; I personally have no qualms about protecting our lives. I would hope, of course, that they would just ask for food and be willing to help grow more and serve and protect the emerging community.

I realize that may all be naive thinking. But, if things get bad, I will do as I have always done and do my best to follow the Savior and serve my fellow man; not take up arms against him unless I must to preserve the lives of the innocent. Unfortunately, negotiation may not be an option, and I don't personally believe that "turning the other cheek" is always the right answer in every situation. There is after all... "A time to kill."

So, there you have it. I speak only for myself, but I think there is nothing extreme in my thinking. Furthermore; planning and executing as we are brings us peace and hope. I love our human family and hope enough of us are prepared for whatever disaster, natural or otherwise, to alleviate much of the suffering that seems inevitable.

May God Bless You and Yours,

Bill

·
Citizen
91 Posts
Hi BillM and oldsoldier,

I am not offended; even though your comments are highly subject to interpretation and both historical fact and fiction.

"Mormons" are as diverse a group as most... I mean, how could Harry Reid and Glen Beck both be of the same faith? I wonder that all the time.:confused:

It seems to me that "Good People" are "Good People" no matter what religion they ascribe to. At least that has been my experience.

It's probably best to strategically align yourselves with Good People in times of peace and crisis.

All the Best,

Bill

P.S. The first time I ever saw someone sign-off with "All the Best" was several years ago... and it was me! :D Not sure I was the first to use it, but it is fun to see it catching on!

·
803 Posts
Lived amoungist them in the '70s in Wyoming.

Last folks I would fool with...

Jimmy

·
Registered
444 Posts
It seems to me that "Good People" are "Good People" no matter what religion they ascribe to. At least that has been my experience.
I wish more folks felt this way instead of thinking the big 3 are the only way to go and if you are not in that group, then to heck with you.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts