Will free broadcast TV be a thing of the past?

Discussion in 'International Current News & Events' started by keepitlow, Mar 15, 2010.

1. mosquitomountainman

mosquitomountainman I invented the internet. :rofl:

Speaking as someone who hasn't had network TV in thier home for over 25 years I must ask...Who cares? The few times over the years I have been exposed to it only reinforces my desires to keep it out of my home.

2. keepitlow

keepitlow Well-Known Member

That is kind of narrow minded on your part. I get important local information such as river or creek flood data, tunnel closures, freeze warnings. Also other local happenings such as security threats. When I had cable sometime in bad weather it would shut it down, same with net...but the on air TV still was usually on.

Our newspapers are closing at record pace. Next our free TV will be gone. Magazines are also closing and there is a shortage of quality journalism and old time hard digging reporters. A corrupt governments dream wish!

No, a survivalist has many backups to support them and one by one our information systems are dropping like flies. Sure we got the net, but that too goes haywire in storms and can easily be squelched if the gov chooses to.

To the survivalist...two is one and one is none. So always have as many backups to your systems as is practical.

3. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

I gave up TV at the turn-of-the-century - right around the same time that Y2K was the biggest news-item. For me, it was a way to actually get stuff done and to quit being a couch-potatoe - yes, I was fairly addicted to "my shows" that I just had to watch. And, yes, I just had to go out and buy everything that was advertised, just to keep up.

Sometimes I wonder if I made the right decision when I am at work and the co-workers are talkin' about this show, or that sport-event, or ..... and then I think about what I accomplished the night before not having the TV and then I know that I made the right decision.

4. Lake Windsong

Lake Windsong Well-Known Member

Just curious... if a man doesn't own a tv, does he still occasionally sit in the recliner guarding the remote control? :D heeee...

Good article - good point about local political campaigns and local businesses potentially losing a key advertising outlet because local newstations (and newspapers) are headed under. Local news stations are also important during times of local emergencies, as are radio stations.

As technology and products are changing so rapidly, some people adapt and some people do without. My sister doesn't own a tv, I have one in my house, some people have several. Whatever cranks your tractor.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  5. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

We done away with our dish about 3 or 4 years ago and never did get "The Box', so we don't have local stations ... I do not miss it at all. We do have a TV for dvd's but that is it.

For local information I go first to my scanner, my noaa radio for weather. (which is also on my scanner) I knew about the VT shooting before it hit the news, all because of the scanner.

Will free broadcast TV be a thing of the past? I do think it is coming to an end ... but no matter to me either way.:dunno:

6. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

I don't even have a recliner, so I have no way to answer your question ...

So sorry :cry:

Bet you never thought you would hear a guy say sorry either

7. mosquitomountainman

mosquitomountainman I invented the internet. :rofl:

We still have "disasters" in our area. We use the internet, AM/FM radio and scanners to keep up with local situations. As has already been said a scanner tuned to local emergency channels is probably the best thing for up-to-the-minute news. We monitor the Forest Service and Fire channels when the fire danger is high. Even back when we had network TV you still had to tune into the radio for such mundane things as school/bus route closings due to snow or forest fires, etc. When we're travelling we tune into the weather information on our ham radio. We hit "scan" and within minutes we have twenty-four-hour weather reports virtually anywhere.

The internet has done far more to keep people informed than any magazine or newspaper and especially the television. Lets face it, when was the last time you heard unbiased reporting from any major media source? We do not have network TV yet I'd be willing to bet that we are better informed than most voters at election time. Anyone who goes to the polls in ignorance has only themselves to blame.

The point of back-ups to our system is a good one. I just don't agree that television is something most people would seriously miss. Just how much information do they convey in a 60 second soundbite? Is it information you can rely on or is it biased or slanted to boost ratings. Did they leave out key information or maybe twist the "facts" to promote a political bias or agenda? Is it information that is not readily available from other sources?

I'm not telling people to discard their TV's. I'm not opposed to television. It has good and bad points. I guess the only thing I'd ask is if it was really all that important?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  8. Lake Windsong

Lake Windsong Well-Known Member

Heard it, didn't believe it... if only he'd had a waterworks smiley to let me know he was sincere.

Good alternatives to local tv are the weather radios and scanners as mentioned above. We have a lot of tornadoes come through during the night here, the weather radio has come in handy several times.

9. kogneto

kogneto The Skeptic

as a college student my roommates and I had to choose, internet or tv?

we only have 2 internet providers in the state, and 1 cable provider...we could have gone with dish, but you really don't miss commercials...plus I have Hulu, torrents, and Pandora, so I've got my entertainment IV all hooked up and flowing...now I just need to download the internet so post-shtf I can still surf 4chan's /b/ and listen to my j-pop ;D

besides the FCC is just going to make the internet the new television/telephone...:hmmm: I'll post the article I read this in if I can find it...