Prepared Society Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a really good book out there that shows the different wild edibles in North America? I struggle in this area when it comes to survival. I can hunt or fish and handle dressing my own game. I can pick out a few different fruit trees or berries, and also pecans, but after that my knowledge falls off. I know it will take more than meat and a few nuts and berries to feed my family if TSHTF, so I need a good resource that I can rely on ( I am sure that there is an app, but not sure about the IPhone working when the chips are down).

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
http://www.foraging.com

Has a list of great books.

Edit: If you have kids or like board games, I suggest the Wildcraft game.

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Lots of book in the local library ... give them a look see.

Yes, it is old school ... but it works.

·
943 Posts
Even with the books that we have I for one have never eaten anything off our land. There are so many plants that look alike that I just sort of leave the stuff for the goats. Little drawings don't do it for me.

·
Just walking at the edge of my grave
4,246 Posts
I've eaten many wild plants here. If the Indians ate it chances are so have I.

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts

·
Winston Smith Sent Me
4,996 Posts
I want a phone app where I can take a picture of a plant and have all info on it. That would be great for pre shtf hiking/training. Why dont one of you computer gurus get on it so I can buy it :)

·
1,182 Posts
I want a phone app where I can take a picture of a plant and have all info on it. That would be great for pre shtf hiking/training. Why dont one of you computer gurus get on it so I can buy it :)
I would gleefully get out on the trails and take thousands of pictures. :lolsmash:

·
Registered
990 Posts
A book will not help you if you do not go out and harvest the plants, learn how to prepare eat and preserve what harvest. Make wild foods part of your regular diet. Once SHTF will not be the time to try and figure out what to do with that cattail.

·
random gibberish
1,061 Posts
A book will not help you if you do not go out and harvest the plants, learn how to prepare eat and preserve what harvest. Make wild foods part of your regular diet. Once SHTF will not be the time to try and figure out what to do with that cattail.
Not to mention the shock to your digestive system.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
There are good books out there, you need to find one that was written about the area you are planning on opperating in. Talk to local gardening clubs, or local out door stores, Maybe TSC or even your local library. Old timers are a wealth of information.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Not to mention the shock to your digestive system.
Exactly. Another thing I don't see folks taking into consideration is food depression. While nutritional needs may be being met by having to eat foods that are unfamiliar, taste strange or are just bland after a period of time it can lead to depression that includes a sense of never being satisfied always hungry. Which can lead to unnecessary food consumption and overall poor moral. So it will help increase moral a great deal to have salal, eel grass, camas, chicory, geoducks, pine nuts, tiger lily and the like become part of your list of familiar home cooking comfort foods

·
random gibberish
1,061 Posts
I don't know anything about it, but I stumbled across this a few minutes ago. http://mobileedibles.blogspot.com/ It's mainly about native Texas plants, but some of the plants are native elsewhere too.

·
random gibberish
1,061 Posts
Exactly. Another thing I don't see folks taking into consideration is food depression. While nutritional needs may be being met by having to eat foods that are unfamiliar, taste strange or are just bland after a period of time it can lead to depression that includes a sense of never being satisfied always hungry. Which can lead to unnecessary food consumption and overall poor moral. So it will help increase moral a great deal to have salal, eel grass, camas, chicory, geoducks, pine nuts, tiger lily and the like become part of your list of familiar home cooking comfort foods
Might as well work it in anyway, since it's free. I looked around on the main site where I got that link earlier, found out that there's a lot more free food on our place than I thought. I also found out that what we used to call pepperwood is actually a prickly ash and we might not want to cut down all the tractor tire destroying locusts we come across.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Might as well work it in anyway, since it's free.
Yep and it makes a "survival skill" a harvesting task, plus its fun expanding your gastronomic horizons, learning to incorporate new healthier items into your diet. Be the first kid on your block to have a dinner party featuring only wild food you've harvested hunted or fished :beercheer:

1 - 20 of 61 Posts