Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Careful. This is VERY graphic, but it's a good study in what electricity can do - if you are stupid

Downtown Dallas job over the weekend. They were trying to pull a hot 13,200 volt copper wire out of a conduit. Note the bolt cutter and the copper wire on the ground. It still stinks out here! I guess these little fellers didn't realize that this sub-station was super hot. No problem - they won't bother one again!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Wow. In hindsight, maybe getting a job would have been a better option for them? lol

·
I invented the internet. :rofl:
3,698 Posts
Very sad...

That's a high price to pay for ignorance. Our local electric coop puts on a demonstration every year that's open to homeschoolers. Up until then I didn't realize how dangerous powerlines were. I thought you had to come into contact to get electrocuted but you don't. Depending upon the powerline's voltage it may jump a gap of several feet to reach anyuthing that offers a good ground. Around here it's usuall irrigation pipe that gets people killed. You don't have to contact a powerline, just come into close proximity to it.

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
That's why I hire someone to do my electrical work.
I got zapped by a 5000v line back in the 80's while working in a tree. I was very lucky that the indirect contact was only for a fraction of a second. I've been leery of electricity ever since. :surrender:

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Wow, to bad the press doesn't run more stories with photos like that, maybe a few public executions! What a crime deterent! It could be that the meaning of their lives was to be a good bad example!:dunno:

·
265 Posts
Although the price they payed for trying to steal some copper is a bit on the high side to my taste, there is not much one can do to prevent such stupidity, so in that spirit:

I call Darwin Award of the year!

:beercheer:

lol

·
265 Posts
To early for the Year. I will concede the month though.
Lol, you might be right though, there is no end to stupidity in this world!

V.

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
I just find it hard to pity people like that.

·
Meoww
643 Posts
Stupidity can an will be painful. This is a good example of that.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Two more outa the gene pool. Our power went out here for a week to a month for some folk. We had heavy snow and ice. Across the mountain in another county, a group of dumb asses were cutting downed power lines and pulling them off with atv's and 4x4's these were main lines. Not only were they stealing, but it took the power company an extra 2 week's to get the lines back up. These fricking idiot's stole it in their own neighbor hood, what a bunch of :nuts: sumbritches. A lot of elderly were up in there some on medical devices that needed electric. As far as i know they have not been caught yet. This happened in the middle of december last year a bunch of frickin dope heads, they know who it was but cannot prove anything. I think a nest of shat heads like this orta be burned out like the plague they are on the area.

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here in calif the scrap yards require a drivers license, fingerprint, and vehicle registration for any metal being sold to them. There is also a 1 week waiting period for the cash. The local power co. has their name stamped on the copper wire under the insulating jacket every so many feet on the high voltage stuff.

·
Registered
320 Posts
no court cost or jail incarceration costs and they have been cured of their criminal ways ....

everyone wins! :congrat:

·
Administrator
2,248 Posts
The only problem here is, who has to clean that up.:scratch Or is this considered pre-cooked road kill.:dunno::ignore:
The city. They'll call the M.E. to do the removal then a hazmat crew is going to go out there for the rest. It will probably cost more than what it would take to replace the copper.

·
Registered
638 Posts
They caught two idiot's red handed standing on top of a van, cutting telephone line's. I hope they make an example of these stupid doper's. Feeding the beast with a method that could cost some one their life. Time to bring back public flogging i,am all for it.

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
They caught two idiot's red handed standing on top of a van, cutting telephone line's. I hope they make an example of these stupid doper's. Feeding the beast with a method that could cost some one their life. Time to bring back public flogging i,am all for it.
kyfarmer, looks to me that they brought back public electrocution in this case. :ignore:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts