Why are we paying for food stamps AND school lunches?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by SurviveNthrive, Nov 7, 2010.

1. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

Why are we paying for food stamps (EBT) AND school lunches?

[Almost anything involving entitlements affects preparedness because many people on entitlements develop dependencies and a different sense on what is yours and theirs. Thos most in need are also priorities, not those who take care of themselves prior to an event.]

In my state and others, the amount of money, per child, for food is considerable, more than most of us can afford to feed our own children. However, with the school lunch program there's subsidized, reduced priced, and even free lunches based on income. Then there's a breakfast program because some children aren't getting that. One major push for year round school is the free lunch and breakfast program. Now, in DC, they're doing a dinner program, and pushing for year round schools, so some children will be fed breakfast, lunch, and dinner, five days a week, year round and their parents still get EBT for the same children.

The answer I got is because some parents don't feed the children even with the benefits and they spend it on themselves, getting other things, etc.

This is, of course, in cases of multi generational welfare recipients who know how to work the system. Some who have real reasons for being on assistance don't know how to work the system, receive less benefits and need the help...the vast majority of those taking advantage, are literally taking advantage and that dries up funds for those who are struggling and did contribute.

This isn't new. I remember a guy telling me about living on beans and rice and potatoes as a child, then figuring his age, and asking what happened to all the food stamps...I knew in Washington, for long-term people on public assistance who knew what they were doing, they had steak budgets. He explained it simply: His mother sold the food stamps for a pittance to get cigerettes and beer for her boyfriends.

Happened then, it's happening now.

Why are we taxpayers paying for the same meals twice?

What do you think is going to happen with these people in a crisis and who do you believe is the priority for assistance when things go bad?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  2. mosquitomountainman

mosquitomountainman I invented the internet. :rofl:

"Why are we taxpayers paying for the same meals twice?"

'cause we're stupid enough to keep sending the same politicians back to Washington every election cycle. We need to understand also that most elections are won by less than ten-percent of the votes cast. When you have special interest groups such as welfare class, homosexuals, immigrants, minorities, etc. voting for one party they tend to sway elections and thereby maintain their power base over the rest of us.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010

3. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

class warfare is an intentional construct by TPTB

4. mosquitomountainman

"What do you think is going to happen with these people in a crisis and who do you believe is the priority for assistance when things go bad?"

They will burn down their neighborhoods then go on to other neighborhoods and burn them down.

As far as assistance goes, if things are that bad then the only "aid" will be to the refugees in the FEMA camps. That's pretty much the way it happened after Katrina.

5. Concerned_ Citizen

Concerned_ Citizen Well-Known Member

This brings me back to thread i started awhile back...........Our govt asst programs are so ridiculously flawed.......Um, why do i get drug tested at work and the person receiving assistance doesnt? why do we have people that have been on unemployment for 3 years......THREE YEARS! Thats enough time to take your butt to a voctational school, move to a different area....SOMETHING......

I got out of the AF in 08......6 months or so before the economy tanked......I was fortunate to get a job making bare minimum we needed to survive.....we didnt have cell phones, no cable TV, and we were renting an 800sq ft house. When it came time to move on to something a bit more profitable, we moved 800 miles south.....I know everyone cant do the same thing for various reasons...BUT, there has got to be a point where you have to step out of your comfort zone and quit relying on others......

We need SERIOUS SERIOUS reform.....

6. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

We need SERIOUS SERIOUS reform.....

Yes, I betcha, if we didn't stop Obama's momentum, he'd have come up with a retirement plan from Unemployment!

7. backlash

backlash Well-Known Member

ALL kids in school here get free breakfast & lunch.

Regardless of income or citizenship.

8. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

Not on this side of the state, only the impoverished areas in WA have that and its narrower.

This is from a near by school district:

Lunch
    Elementary: $2.40

Secondary: $2.65

Reduced price: $0.40

Staff: $3.60

Breakfast
    Elementary: $1.35

Secondary: $1.50

Reduced price: $0.30

Staff: $2.15

9. backlash

When we lived on the wet side that was the case.
    However now that we live in the lower Yakima valley we get to pay for all the meals for all the kids.
    The schools even fed them in the summer.

10. thunderdan19

thunderdan19 Shoots to Thrill

What? You're expecting people who can't get off their butts to go work/look for work/do anything contributive to society to get off their butts/iphones to plan/prepare food for their kids???

The only thing that would motivate these people is if/when the free money dries up. Then you'll see them organizing riots and pillage gangs...

[Disclaimer: this post does not apply to individuals who are legitimately prevented from self support because of disability (not caused by their own bad behavior/stupidity/drug abuse/ghetto warfare)]

11. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

That's why, HUGE (nonworking) illegal population and a lot of regular poor folks there...they get a free lunch.

12. dakada

dakada dakada

we just moved to a rural neighborhood., unfortuneatly our neighbors are right next door on one side. the neighbors are on food stamps and disability, as well. they have bbq's regularly, smoke tons of ciggarettes and always have a beer in their hands. there are 4 adults living in the house, not one works. they are always shooting guns off the back porch and while i believe in our right to bear arms, those bullets aren't free.

their car does not work, so when i go to the market, i always ask if they need a ride. they have small children and i do want them to have food, even though the rest of the mess makes me crazy.

one of the women gets valium from the mental health center which she sells so she can get other recreational products! the government gives her free pills and she gets to have her own little business.

the last straw for me - on our last market run together, they needed to go to liquor store, they had a hankering for white russians! i also enjoy my cocktails but we really have to budget for all treats at the moment.

we moved here to be peaceful and to try to live a more sustainable life. while i do not want to judge others, i am blown away by the amount of money they get from the government.

i also agree with those of you that have mentioned that if something goes wrong and they are not receiving their "free" money, they would not hesitate to take from other.
    quite frankly, on some level they scare me.
    time to go to the shooting range, i definitely need some defensive skills!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2010
  13. backlash

Yep you are correct.
    But here even rich peoples kids get free meals.
    Although there are a lot more poor than rich.

14. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 Adventurer at large

Looking at all the lard-butt Big Mommas with a gaggle of skinny kids orbiting her, I KNOW the food stamps aren't doing anything for the tykes....... :mad:

Those school lunches may be their ONLY meal of the day.....

Yep, this is one massively flawed system......

15. PragmaticWorm

PragmaticWorm Member

Obligatory...So you want poor kids to starve? Have you no souls? Have you no sense of community? Maybe the kids fed by the government and educated by the government will one day grow up to host preparedness discussion forums. Maybe they will grow up to be decent members of society that never need government support ever again. Who can say?

16. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

Someone wrote:

Obligatory...So you want poor kids to starve? Have you no souls? Have you no sense of community? Maybe the kids fed by the government and educated by the government will one day grow up to host preparedness discussion forums. Maybe they will grow up to be decent members of society that never need government support ever again. Who can say?

Maybe some college skank who makes poor choices in sex partners, will get knocked up by a guy who is going to ditch her and she'll hop any guy who is available and follow him anywhere and after she's proven an unfit mother, her mother will be stuck raising that child without help from that no good father and that child might grow up and become President and really screw our collective futures through bad decision making, extending a Recession we might have emerged from.

How about we simply hold these parents who receive benefits and don't spend that money on the children accountable rather than increase entitlements for everyone?

17. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

we REALLY need a sarcasm font on this forum...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

that makes me LOL out loud

18. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

The question is, which of us was being facetious?

19. mosquitomountainman

Maybe it's time to get the parents who don't care for their children neutered. Those type of people just keep having kids in order to get bigger checks from the government. Having children just to get a bigger check is not a good reason to have children nor is it responsible for the government to encourage such behavior. Every stray dog or cat picked up by shelters is spayed or neutered before being put up for adoption. If people have the same moral standard as a dog or cat in heat then get them neutered. It should be a requirement for some people to even qualify for welfare. It isn't the responsibility of everyone else to raise their kids.

I'm not against welfare per-se. (Especially in times like these.) I am against it being abused and abusers should be held responsible. At best they should be prevented from costing the rest of us our hard-earned money.

20. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

When the school discovers a child is in need of food, I want them to contact Child Protective Services and immediately, child protective services should take those children, the court system should make it a bear to for them to get those children back and Child Protective Services should IMMEDIATELY stop that EBT going to those parents. This takes care of several problems...and there's no free lunch.