Why a Religion board is a bad idea...

Discussion in 'Website Comments and Suggestions' started by kogneto, Apr 21, 2010.

1. kogneto

kogneto The Skeptic

While I understand that the nature of discussion tends towards discourse on disparate ideas, I do not feel that the segmentation and false boundaries placed on ideas, such as religion or politics, is the appropriate method of containing discourse.

I would venture to say that the containment of discourse goes in the face of the very idea of Freedom of Speech, something that is not only recognized as a fundamental human right, but is necessary for expression.

My suggestion would be to focus instead on the General Discussion board. In fact I would say the very nature of a General Discussion board would include all off the path discussion. I guess a more appropriate title for this might be "Why anything but a General Discussion board for an off the path section is unnecessary" but that seems wordy :/

2. mosquitomountainman

mosquitomountainman I invented the internet. :rofl:

Could you put this in simpler terms please. I'm feeling old and tired today and can't quite figure out what you're saying.:dunno:

3. kogneto

kogneto The Skeptic

Yo dawg, I know ya'll foo's like to argue about sh!t 'n stuff, but makin' mo' boards fo' mo' topics isn't the answer.

Ya'll need to rec'uh'nize that mo' boards wit mo' limitations ain't what Freedom o' Speech is bout yo.

We don' need no separation, General Discussion means General Discussion, let a play'a play. Dis title shoulda ben "Why anything but a General Discussion board for an off the path section is unnecessary" but thas jus wylin :/

4. mosquitomountainman

mosquitomountainman I invented the internet. :rofl:

JMO but, why not have a religion board? There may be people who have no interest in religion and it makes it easier for them to skip that section. There may be others who'd rather skip those sections rather than be "preached at." And, there are some people who want to share and debate the merits of some theological issues.

There hasn't been any limiting of free speech. In fact it's my understanding that the opposite has occurred. Wasn't the discussion of "religion" kinda' frowned upon prior to setting up this section?

I personally like seeing religious debate with it's own section. It just makes it easier to skip it if I'm not interested ... or seek it out if I am.:)

5. kogneto

kogneto The Skeptic

yes, because every time religion comes up it's about an honest discussion weighing facts and testimony?

you've negated your prior statement with the latter. read the rules again, there includes no open discussion of theological issues, only discussion in relation to prepping.

it's just as easy as choosing not to click on religiously titled post (which is an assumption that non-religious arguments would stay non-religious) as it is not to click on a religiously titled section

6. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

I hate both political and religious discussions for the sake of the discussion themselves. The problem is that you have a spiritual or political person who sees a prophecy or law being fulfilled/passed and they get more into prepping - but - then the thumping happens and everyone gets their shirts in a knot and person A is mad at person B because they can't :kiss: and make-up.

So - we are going to try something. The two sections are setup in such a way that I can turn off access individually to anyone who behaves badly. First would be to turn off the ability to write in those sections, then, the ability to read the sections if I see something spill over to another zone.

I really hope that everyone can play nice together - I hate being the bad-guy, but, if I need to lay down the beatin' stick, I guess I just will have to do it.

7. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

:2thumb:
    With one or two minor exceptions, PS has always been a friendly place. But lately I've noticed a lot more bad air and it usually emanates from one of these two categories. I sure hope we can go back to being a friendly group of people that discuss ways to prepare for the troubled times that are coming. :)

8. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Also by organizing the sections and ensuring the clarity of the content we can avoid the disagreements that spur from people reading things they didn't want to. Having a separate section for them does not hinder freedom of speech but fosters it through clearly defining the place in which to discuss it.