Where will you go?

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by kbamvakais, Jan 1, 2010.

1. kbamvakais

kbamvakais Well-Known Member

So obviously were all have a plan to put in to action when FIT HITS THE SHAN, so sound off. Where When How Why. Me personaly i will be headed south to Ste.Genevieve MO about an hour driving normally but when SHTF i dont think any of us will be driving normally, anyway there are huge lime stone caves there used by a mining company for what else Limestone, but i imagine when the end comes they wont be operational, lol, i chose this local for several reason, 1 lime stone can with stand huge blast forces and it very deep under groung, 2 its far enough from major citys that it will still be standing and its small enought that there shouldnt be any riots or anarchy, 3 easy to get too, i can take all back roads and be there in about 35 minutes as i will be HAULING ***. 4 its very near the mississipi, great for fishing and moving further down stream if needed by boat. so theres my plan, whats yours.

2. kyfarmer

kyfarmer Well-Known Member

If i have to move out, there will be nothing left. No bug out, dug in and i guess easy to find. :( If i hit the mountains then i,ll have no family left. Not near enough room in these hills for foraging like is needed. You sound like ya have a good plan. If tshtf i hope you and yours safe passage to the location.

3. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

I'm with KYFarmer. I'm staying put unless a meteor is headed for my house. If we have to go we have a fifth wheel camper (it's my father in law's) but for anything forseeable we are staying right here.

4. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

Like KY and Jason, we are of the bug-in mentality. If we ever did need to go, and it would have to be pretty bad for us to pull out, we have another place about 50 miles away where people know us and we would be accepted. It's part of a small hunting and fishing area that we go to about 4-6 times a year. We have a 14x70 trailer there with a 12x40 addition on it. It has a wood stove and about 2 weeks worth of food. Not much, but it's something. There is an Amish and mennonite community in the area that knows how to live without all the modern amenities. We patronize their stores when we're up there and I will make a special trip to one mennonite store in particular because he has the best prices on the Stihl equipment which I use.
    If the situation allowed, we could contribute to the community by bringing the goats and chickens as well as my store of seeds. Let's hope it doesn't come to that. :rolleyes:

5. TimB

TimB Member

Amen. :2thumb:

We would start by moving to my brothers house- he's on 6 acres, about 10 mi. from the closest town.
    If it gets bad enough to leave there, we are prepared to BO to the N. Ga. Mtns.- I have several different areas in mind. All of them offer what we would need to get by (water source, caves or shelter material, etc.). As Unclejoe said, I hope and pray it doesn't come to that.

Tim

6. zorro

zorro Well-Known Member

I'm not a FEMA expert or whatever, but personal and professional experience tough me that you need at least two levels to any backup plan.

My first level is staying home. We live in a rural area, surrounded by farmers, 2 miles from a small village. My boyfriend works just the other side of the street and my office is at home. So we already are used to staying a lot at home. We have a huge garden, as well as some rabbits and the equipment to grow some food in the basement. We are familiar with wild edible plants around and all "flowers" in my garden are edible or otherwise useful. We always keep a good supply of wood. There are plenty of forests we could forage into within 1/2 to 3 days walking distance. The closest small city is 1/2 day walking distance. Our closest relatives live there. We could easily accommodate them for a couple of weeks.

My second level is going nomadic. I have three Rubbermaid types plastic boxes and two really good backpacks (mine is custom fitted as I'm of small stature). As we live in an area with heavy snowfalls, we also have snowshoes and a sleigh (which we could pack the stock onto). Two of the boxes contains the stock that we would pack in the backpacks - minimal stuff needed to stay alive while away from home. The third box is what we would bring if it is possible. It mostly contains some more tools. With that setup, and our knowledge of survival skills, we could live outdoors for months if needed as long as there is still edible plants/animals out there. Unfortunately, this plan means leaving behind all family, because I'm afraid none of our close relatives health would allow them to go nomadic.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2010
  7. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

I believe this is a question asked earlier here on PS.

If / When the **** Hits The Fan (SHTF or :shtf: ) I have a four-part plan which I practice fairly regularly.

1. Bug-in
    2. Bug-out - North
    3. Bug-out - West
    4. Bug-out - South

I did have a fifth plan, but, that ended up being canceled out due to circumstances beyond my control and that was Bug-out East.

#1 - I have enough food / water / supplies at home to live comfortably for a fairly long time. I have 5 propane BBQs now (5 tanks dedicated to the BBQs at 20# each) and two propane stoves and several propane lanterns and propane catalytic heaters to heat home and cook food. Then, I have battery systems and solar systems to keep lights / laptops / cell-phones / CB-Radio / AM-FM-Radio / etc going for a very long time.

#2 - I have a friend with 10 acres about 45 min north of my citified house where I have stashed supplies and have an open welcome to head there anytime.

#3 - I have the mountains where I hike, camp, fish, hunt about 45 min west of my house. I have winter and summer camped there for up to 2 weeks at a time.

#4 - South about 2hrs from my house I have another friend where I am welcome at all times where his house borders "crown land" and I can hide in his backyard or go straight across the highway from his house into the crown-land and live comfortably.

My off-road enhanced camper is setup with dual 6-volt batteries on a solar-charging system which allows me to run my entertainment systems, lights, furnace, etc all the time without any worries about running out of power. Conserving propane I could easily live for 6 months as long as I can use my water-filter / pump system to purify water in to my huge water holding tanks and can hunt / fish / trap / forage for my food.

I am currently looking for a second camper to setup as a "long-term" living solution - again - setup with huge amounts of propane reserves, solar power, super-sized water holding tanks, automated water filtration / pumping systems into the tanks, etc.

Personally - it would have to be something absolutely insane to force me to move from plan #1 into one of the three sub-plans...

8. TimB

TimB Member

After reading NaeKids post, I felt I should clarify mine a little.
    1-We would "bug-in" at home during a natural disaster resulting from a storm or such.
    2-We would bug-out to my brothers in the event of civil unrest or something of that nature as I feel my home is not viable to repel zombies or the like.
    3-Bug-out to the mountains would be in the event that my brothers area becomes untenable for some reason.

Tim

9. kbamvakais

kbamvakais Well-Known Member

ok i should clarify too, i also plan on bugging in in the event of small natural disaster, roit or such but plan on bugging out if the zombies attack or north korea desides to get cute. lol

10. kyfarmer

kyfarmer Well-Known Member

If i could go mobile when it was needed and it was just me. I could handle that no problem. Four others that could not do that. Health and just to soft to make that a go. For those that have two or more plans. A1 on that, smart thinking and that is being prepared as is really needed. Don't like the all eggs in the one basket thang. I do have a few stashes of things here and there ( not on location) i hope it's never needed.

11. Todays Survival Show

Todays Survival Show Survival and Handgun Podcaster

My plan is to bug in as much as possible. Currently, I don't own a remote BOL. If I did, it would be incredibly basic just enough to sustain me until I could return to my full time residence. If I can't return, then I want a BOL I could quickly convert. But my humble opinion is that if it get's bad enough to where I have to bug out, I'll be a refugee. I'd rather take my chances staying in.

I do have key alliances with friends and relatives about 150 miles away in civil unrest situation for example.

12. ZoomZoom

ZoomZoom Rookie Prepper

Like everyone else, bugging-in will occur unless conditions dictate that the homestead is no longer the safest place.

I would then take the family and head for the bunker which is less than 2 miles away. It would be pretty hard for me to leave there but if we had to leave, everything that would be needed to go nomadic is already there (packs, tents, ATV's...).

13. Turtle

Turtle Well-Known Member

I think everyone is pretty much in agreement that the smart thing to do in most minor situations is to stay put. I, unfortunately, don't live out in the country right now, so in the case of storms and such, I would be best served staying right where I am.

Now, if it were something serious, like a zombie or communist attack? Currently, where I am living now, my plan is to scramble across the Bay Bridge (which I live near) and get to my father's place on the Eastern Shore. He has about ten acres, animals, and more guns and ammo than an Army division. :) He has a lot of fuel, food, and stuff stored up, so we would be okay there for quite some time.

My back-up plan, if for some reason we couldn't get across the bridge, is to head west; my wife's family has a lake house at the far western end of the state, near WV. It's in a community, but it's almost entirely resort homes, not primary residences, so it's pretty sparsely populated. I keep a small stockpile of basic stuff out there, just in case.

My plan in the next year is to buy a decent amount of land (at least five acres) and set up shop. I would really much prefer "digging in" and staying put, so I plan to build a highly defensible position. my wife found one lot for sale that is eight acres and backs up to a state forest. That would be great, but it's a little too close to DC for my taste. I've known since I was a kid that this area is a HUUUUUGE target, with all of the military bases and government offices located nearby. I would really like to get out further west.

14. OldFashionedMama

OldFashionedMama Partyin' like it's 1699

Well, plan A would be to stay right here at home, but that would be in the event of a natural disaster. We're in the city, so if all hell breaks loose and people go nuts up here, we have a secured location about 40 minutes south where we'll rendevous with my dad and the members of the NEODF.

Ooh...problem with that....I don't remember where exactly the location is. I need to ask my dad and write that down. No one can get in unless they posess a special token of identification, which I keep in a safe spot here. Wow, SHTF and I don't even know where I'm going LOL!

15. Jason

That's a new acronym on me...what's NEODF?

16. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

I imagine that it is the "name" of her prep-group / club. I am a member of the RMBW which is one group that practices backcountry skills through-out the whole year. Hunting, fishing, off-roading, camping, etc several times a year as a large-group or small-group.

17. Jason

18. OldFashionedMama

North East Ohio Defense Force

N.E.O.D.F. Web

There are links on their page to other groups in the state of Ohio in case you're not in our group's immediate area.

19. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

I'm impressed, are you involved with the training also. They look like they are very well organized.
    Here in Calif. we would be arrested if we gathered like that, branded as subversives!!, unless you wore pink commos and a tu-tu, then it would be ok.:ignore:
    Don't get me wrong there are still plenty of people who are conservatives here.:2thumb:

20. OldFashionedMama

I am not directly involved with training, although I would LOVE to be and hope my husband and I can start participating more once our children are older. My dad is first-in-command for the 3rd battalion, my stepmom is secretary and takes care of all the paperwork and financial stuff, and yes the entire organization is very well organized. Membership has tripled in the past year (or, ever since we got a new president lol.....)

You would not be arrested. The United States Constitution protects the right to keep and maintain a state militia. As far as I know California is still a part of the union. You might want to see if there are any groups out there, most states have something. However, it isn't like the NEODF goes out in full gear and parades down the main street for training LOL!!!! Right now they basically operate as a supplement to local law enforcement and emergency response. My dad's group has been involved in such exciting adventures as rescuing people trapped in a house that was washed away in floodwaters and crammed under a bridge, and in the search and capture of a fugitive wanted for the murder of 5 people who was hiding in the woods of central Ohio. I try to avoid using the "M" word when talking about the group, even though that is what they really are. People hear it and think weirdos and conspiracy theories and the Unabomber LOL!