Where to start?

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by Husker, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Husker

Husker Member

Hello and greetings from Nebraska. I have been interested in survival and preparedness for some time now -- have taken some real basic steps with food storage, 72-hour kits, etc. I have been feeling for awhile that it is time to get more serious and take steps to help protect my family, but not sure where to start. I would be interested in your advice for a newbie. Thanks in advance.

2. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

Welcome,sit down with pen and paper. Make list of foods that you eat double buy the shelf stable ones everytime you shop. Same with bath products and cleaning supplies. Don't forget paper products, TP, paper towels etc. Stock up on fuel, oil, etc. to keep your autos and other engines going. Start a garden, even if it has to be in a flower bed or containers. Learn how to can and dehydrate. Don't forget first aid supplies. Good luck!

3. TheAnt

TheAnt Aesops Ant (not Aunt)

Hello and welcome.

First piece of advice I would give is to read past posts on relevant threads and soak up the information.

As for myself -- I just started by buying "extras" items that my family and I like to eat that would store for 6+ months (rotate items to keep the fresh) and storing them in 'ready-to-go' containers. Stuff like canned foods, rice, beans, hot sauce, drink mixes, etc. I put mine in containers similar to these:
    [​IMG]
    I then purchased several containers for holding potable water. But I purchased smaller ones that could be easily loaded into a vehicle for a 'ready-to-go' solution.
    I store my water in these:
    [​IMG]
    which I purchased online here:
    5-Gallon Stackable Water Container

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2011
  4. weedygarden

weedygarden Well-Known Member

where to start

I think if you have been working on food storage, you are really not a newbie. And you are not a newbie in your thoughts about preparation. Some people haven't even begun the thought process. They think if we can go to grocery store and buy what we want and need, that will continue forever.

But I have some suggestions:
    1. Read: blogs, forums such as this, books, information.
    2. Try to live for a day on your food storage. It is a good experiment and will help you to realize what you have, need, and want.
    3. After trying for a day, try to live for a longer period of time. It is good to try to live for a day or two to see what life would really be like without our current support.
    4. Expand your view of what you need. As you go through your days, think what life would be like without phones, gas for cars. What can we use instead: bicycles with carts for carrying whatever, walkie talkies or ham radios. You get the idea. Keep thinking about what you use and how you could live without it.
    5. Increase your food stores. There is this constant chatter about a year's supply. In saying this, I in no way want to say having a year's supply is not good. It is just that people get to acquiring a year's supply and think they have arrived. What if we were to have a situation and what you have currently is all you would ever be able to purchase? Then you would wish you had 10 years, 20 years worth. Grains are really relatively cheap. (Where to put all that?) Mormons have gone to having 3 months worth of food you eat daily (like prepared, box type stuff). Then work on a year's supply. Originally, Mormons were asked to have 7 years and they focused on wheat, honey, salt, and water.
    Best wishes!

5. Centraltn

Centraltn Well-Known Member

I'd go with what you could eat right now if ya had to. I'd start with beans, a varietyof beans, rice, noodles, spaghetti, coffee, tea, sugar, flour to make bread, salt (plenty of it - to salt meat with for longer term storage, corn meal,. You can get all of this in 10 lb or 25 lbs bags/pkgs in a place like Sam's or Costco. Lay in storage containers for both.. you can get 6 gallon buckets and O2 absorbers at many places online- emergency essentials, Nitro Pak etc. just to name a couple. Bulk foods stored like this will last 20 or more yrs when stored in a steady temperature and darlenned area.

Meanwhile lay in the canned food your family likes. Most canned food will last 2 yrs or better on a shelf if kept at room temp or cooler.

6. kejmack

kejmack Texas!!!

Welcome! I think it is good advice to buy extra every time you shop.

One mistake I see people make is to go out and buy 500# of wheat, rice, or whatever but have no idea on how to cook it. If you buy big bags of wheat, make sure you know how to grind it and use it. If you are depending on an electric grinder, make sure you have a way to power it if the electricity is cut. Make sure you have a couple of non-electric can openers, too.

7. Tirediron

Tirediron RockyMountainCanadian

And as simple as it seems mark the date on the stuff you buy, that way you use the oldest first, and don't waste.

8. Necred

Necred Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard.

First, id find my water supply, then buy Calcium hypochlorite 58 or 72% powder, it has a long shelf life, 3 lbs can furnish enough chlorox to sanitize about 30000 gals. 8-12 drops at a time. Unless you can buy package extended life foods go to your local discount store & buy can goods. Their shelf life is 2-5yrs...Buy dry beans, search how to store, mylar & oxygen absorbers....its gratifying but never ending adventure.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  9. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Yeah...what they said! :D

I divided things into "must have" and "would like to have", and started with the must-haves. That was primarily things like water storage and shelf-stable foods our family eats. Eventually we added some "like to haves" like baking cocoa.

It sounds to me like you're doing good already, and way ahead of a lot of newbies! Glad to have you with us on the forum! :)

10. BadgeBunny

BadgeBunny Well-Known Member

No one has mentioned this yet so I'll just go ahead and get it out of the way ...

If you aren't overwhelmed yet you soon will be ... especially if you start keeping lists of what you have vs. what you need vs. what you want ... :eek:

Seems the "need" list is always longer than the "have" list and the "want" list is longer than both of them put together. :gaah:

Do NOT give up ... we have all been there ... In my experience the overwhelmed feeling happens at least a couple of times -- right before you "get it" and find the system that really works for you; and right after you realize there is no real "end" to what you are doing. While you will have moments of complete and utter satisfaction about what you have accomplished, you will also be very aware of how much more is left to do.

There's lots of good info here, there and yonder, but especially here.

Finally, ENJOY your journey ... This is NOT a chore ... You are learning things (and gathering stuff) that will serve you well whether or not the S ever HTF. :2thumb: And you will meet a lot of good people along your journey! :wave:

:beercheer:

11. Husker

Husker Member

Thanks for your comments and advice. While I hope that there will be no catastrophic / apacolyptic events in the near future, I am very concerned that there will be some sort of economic collapse. In that event, jobs like the one I have will disappear and I don't want to have to rely on others to take care of my family.

12. LincTex

LincTex Jack of all trades?

Correct! I would add that a bio-sand filter should be a good thing to make (from a plastic drum) and will help you with drinking water should that become scarce.

Do little things at a time - here and there - and "just eat that elephant one bite at a time" :p

It is amazing how fast things add up over weeks of spending $10 here and $20 there. Before you know it, you will have a nice amount of preps to fall back on.