Where is the safest place to live?

Discussion in 'General Homesteading & Building' started by weedygarden, Jun 30, 2011.

1. weedygarden

weedygarden Well-Known Member

Given all the turmoil that goes on in our nation and world, I am wondering if someone know of a study or theory out there of where the safest places are to locate in the U.S., or even the world, and on the other hand, what states, areas, or countries are best to stay away from. And why? Some states might have good areas and others to avoid.

Can we keep quoting and filling in this list with ideas? Maybe we will come up with the perfect place to move to.

•Alabama
    •Alaska
    •Arizona--just too darned hot and an issue of not enough water. Too hot to really grow food in some parts.

•Arkansas
    •California
    •Colorado
    •Connecticut
    •Delaware
    •District of Columbia
    •Florida
    •Georgia
    •Guam
    •Hawaii
    •Idaho
    •Illinois
    •Indiana
    •Iowa
    •Kansas
    •Kentucky
    •Louisiana
    •Maine
    •Maryland
    •Massachusetts
    •Michigan
    •Minnesota
    •Mississippi
    •Missouri
    •Montana
    •Nebraska
    •Nevada
    •New Hampshire
    •New Jersey
    •New Mexico
    •New York
    •North Carolina
    •North Dakota--can have horribly cold winters, but grows good wheat.
    •Ohio
    •Oklahoma
    •Oregon
    •Pennsylvania
    •Puerto Rico--soooo hot and muggy in the summer
    •Rhode Island
    •South Carolina
    •South Dakota
    •Tennessee
    •Texas
    •Utah
    •Vermont
    •Virginia
    •Virgin Islands
    •Washington
    •West Virginia
    •Wisconsin
    •Wyoming

2. Sourdough

Sourdough ExCommunicated

Kenai Peninsula, Alaska (Note: was 68* today and mostly sunny)

3. petedewd

petedewd Member

West coast is off because of quakes.
    Yellowstone eruption would take out entire midwest so...

Good question.

4. TheAnt

TheAnt Aesops Ant (not Aunt)

I would just like to say that what is said about Arizona pertains just to where I live. There are parts of Arizona that would be well suited to surivival living. The main problem I have with those parts is that the land is very expensive (to me). I wouldnt want to live in the desert parts of Arizona but if you can get water to anywhere in Arizona it would be a fine place -- just more expensive than I would want to pay. We dont have hurricanes, tornados, earthquakes. We have wildfires and illegal aliens that take what they want even if its yours. I love the state and its (mostly) conservative ideals.

5. Meerkat

Meerkat Seeking The Truth

When my perfect little angel kids turned into teenage strangers in the late seventies I decided it was a society problem.

So we decided to move to the wilderess.Decided on Northwest Territory up in N.Canada where its dark for months,colder than cold and cabin fever is an epedemic.

Menu consist of moose tonque,and what ever fish you get breaking through the ice.

Even the wilderness seemed like a better plan than fighting the tonque swapping skating rinks and movie shows.So we started making plans and bought a wildernes survival book.

It scares me to think of how we almost made the move to a place that probably would have been a death sentence for us all. Not to speak of being locked in a cabin with 3 angry teens for 9 months out of the year.
    But your your young it would seem like the best place to go where nobody would care enough to look for you.

6. catsraven

catsraven Meoww

All states have problems. The question is what are you willing to tolerate? Hot, hot and muggy, no water, or harsh winters? There is no safe place.

Personally I tolerate hot muggy to avoid harsh winters. We do get some snow once or twice a year (under 1 inch). 20 degrees is considered cooold here. If I had more of a choice it would be east Texas or south east Oklahoma.

7. TheAnt

TheAnt Aesops Ant (not Aunt)

I agree with you on all counts. I even like the area described... I would extend that into much of AR too. Probably MO, AL, MS, LA and GA too.

I wouldnt enjoy too far north or too much west (unless it was higher elevation in the west).

8. Meerkat

Unless its something like a nuke or total destruction,we will just stay put.Too old to go hiking.

If we were young we may bug out someplace.

But I figure sooner or later you run out of places to go or they get crowded too.

It would have been easier to take back your nation than to run from its enemies.

9. BillS

BillS Well-Known Member

I like Wisconsin. Where I live the crime rate is low. We never get hurricanes or earthquakes although this year a tornado or some high winds took some trees down a block or two from where I live. We get enough rain to grow crops although the winters are long and cold.

10. tsrwivey

tsrwivey Supporting Member

:cool: We'd be happy to have you!

11. tsrwivey

In my completely impartial opinion, east TX. A huge majority of well-armed conservatives, does it get any safer than that?!

12. ajsmith

ajsmith Well-Known Member

I kinda like where I live, eastern Oregon. As long as you can drive on the road ways your only 60 min. or less from almost anything you want to do. My area is in the high desert, mostly juniper trees and sage brush, but I drive 20 to 30 min. in any direction and I'm in big time forest. We have lots of creeks, streams, rivers, lakes and reservoirs. Lots of deer (had six bedding down in the back yard last fall), Elk (brother had two run through his yard yesterday) Antelope and to the southeast about 40 min. we have black bear. For water fowl we have several kinds of duck, Canadian Geese. For upland birds we have pheasant, grouse, quail, dove, several more I can think of off the top of my head. For fish we have, salmon, trout (several kinds), bass and white fish (probably more but I'm not a real big fan of fishing). For other recreation we have some of the best snow skiing, water skiing, camping, off roading, hiking...

We have lots of cattle ranches and a few sheep, and our town is surrounded by farms (wheat, grass, and seed crops, onions and carrots mostly).

I guess I'm babbling along here.........sorry

I think I'm going to have to sit down and make a list of all the things I take for granted. Anyway, I like it here because I know the area, it comfortable, it's home.......:cool:

13. catsraven

catsraven Meoww

Well thank you tsrwivey. I do live in Texas. I live a little to close to the city for my comfort.

14. GreyWolf

GreyWolf Well-Known Member

Yep, you're right. Have you evern noticed how nervous city dweller that visit out here get when they hear people out shooting? Strange.

15. Sourdough

Sourdough ExCommunicated

Please NOTE:

Please Note: The Original Post asks NOT where you would like to live, But where is the safest plase to live. (I think that was the question)...:dunno

The area I live in has "Never" had a murder or violent crime, never in it's history starting in 1887.

16. Sourdough

Sourdough ExCommunicated

How would they treat each other if there was no air conditioning ever again for say 5 years.......? No refrigeration for 5 years......?...:dunno:

17. Meerkat

LOL,nothing personal but is hard to commit a crime when nobodys there to rob.Not many people want to live in Alaskan small towns.

But I bet that is changing now that cities are becoming more crime infested everyday.

18. Frugal_Farmers

Frugal_Farmers Good ole country folk

That's exactly the point--locals don't want a lot of people to want to live in Alaskan small towns either.

19. tsrwivey

Some folks around here do live without AC. I reckon folks with swimming pools, ponds, or lake houses would have a lot of new found friends. :D Lots of people work in the Texas heat everyday, they say you get used to it in a week or two. Folks live in Africa & South America without AC, I reckon we'd live too. I don't see that being too big of a problem.

20. Sourdough

Sourdough ExCommunicated

Yes, this town has 16 Humans. And it is getting crowded.