Where Do I Go From Here?

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by KennyTN, Nov 16, 2012.

1. DJgang

DJgang I put SAs on IGNORE!

Oh didn't know ya had fireplace. Good!!! I worry about people freezing to death :eek:

2. KennyTN

KennyTN Newbie

I had it converted to natural gas logs a few years ago and the chimney capped. I could turn it back into a woodburner if I had to - remove the logs, take off the stainless cap.

3. KennyTN

KennyTN Newbie

Just a few?!?! Dang that is one comprehensive set of links. Thanks!

4. brightstar

brightstar Well-Known Member

Someone mentioned a gun for your wife. I totally agree! If I had to use my hubby's rifle I would be hurting, way to big for me. For the bang for your buck, I love my Rossi youth combo .243/20 ga. I keep the shotgun barrel on when not hunting for security (along with my revolver) and have taken several deer down with the rifle barrel. Also, I have a solar charger for my cell if we were to lose power due to weather, we live in the same geo region so I know all about the snow :) Got my fold up charger for about $80 that when folded is the size of my iPhone. Will charge fully in a few hours.

5. KennyTN

KennyTN Newbie

I agree about the gun. She trained on a full size Beretta 9mm in the Navy but even the Px4 is a bit much, especially the slide. I think revolver is the way to go for her. If you don't get the job done with 6 shots...

6. semperscott

semperscott Well-Known Member

You are getting a lot of good info from the folks on this site. That is one of the main reasons I started reading and posting here; everybody is willing to help as long as you are willing to learn. Always remember the only dumb question is the one you do not ask.

Seems like you are getting a good start and I will only mention a few basic ones to add to your list.

You have preps and you have transportation; do you have tubs for your containers to pack your preps in? Do they fit in your transportation?
    Never pack all of one product in a single container. You want to pack with some of everything in each tub so if you lose one you are not totally out of that one product. This is a little harder to do but learning the lesson too late is way worse.

Finally set up and maintain an inventory of what you have, keep it updated and in a location you can grab it quickly in case you have to bug out.

Good luck and glad to see you here!

7. 101airborne

101airborne Well-Known Member

I agree and the plus to the 10/22 is it could be used to hunt small game as well if needed.

8. 101airborne

101airborne Well-Known Member

Didn't read all the answers so sorry if I repeat other answers. You've got a good start. Add more food, water or ways to filter water, and ammo when you can. I'd also add first aid supplies. You can get them pretty cheap at your local dollar tree type store. Blankets, a couple (or more) good knives, a axe/hachet, and maybe a bow saw, to cut firewood. Maybe a grill for cooking, extras of what you use regularly like hygeine items and such. The main thing is don't get discouraged if you take a while to get "stocked up". Good luck.

9. jsriley5

jsriley5 Well-Known Member

Well while a handgun should in my opinion be on the list a long gun for her would be higher up the list. I would be very suprised if she didn't get as much or more training on a M-16 I wasn't navy (and thank her for her service and yor daughters) but I am still certain they consider the m-16 a primary weapon. And if you are only going to have one gun make it a long gun. A 22LR should also be on the list of guns to get but since you have the 12 ga if you load a smaller shot size you have smal game hunting comvered, and with slugs you have the big game covered. So I"d bump a AR-15 rifle of whatever style SHE and you prefer to the next acquisition slot as far as guns go. As you may have guessed I"m a gun type guy it's been a hobby like prepping since I was very young. As such I tend to spend alot of time talking to that but it really is a small part of your overall prepping but should be kept in balance with the rest once you have the "basics" covered . Which I think you are pretty close to with just the shotgun and pistol, But really a long gun for each adult should be considered basic, Then a handgun each then you can add more if you want to better fill niches but reality has it you can only use one at a time unless you are in hollywood so once you have the ability to hunt for food and the means to protect yourself everything else is gravy, and who knows you may come to enjoy them and so the guns will get some of your entertainment and hobby budget too.

Happy prepping hope it gives you the same peace of mind that mine give me. Warning whether you start out to make it a hobby or not it can become addictive but it's ok as long as you make informed decisions it works out to be pretty cheap in the long run since you can eat alot of it and the other items for the most part retain their value. OH speaking of things retaining value you might want to consider putting a portion of your savings into Silver and Gold the physical in your hand kind There are alot of theories for aftermath typw situations but I think most and I certainly do beleive that at some point we will try to get back to normal and while barter and trade goods will cover a huge spectrum at some point it is beleived it will go back to a gold and silver standard. Might do to have some of your wealth protected in such a manner in case of bank runs and such as has been seen in the past in this country.

10. Dakine

Dakine Uber Newbie

You might want to check out http://www.idpa.com/ They do combat pistol scenarios that are entry level events and you'll meet people from ALL walks of life who are at various stages of experience, from brand new beginners with their first pistol to the guys who've been spec ops operators for 20 years and just like a day shooting. You will learn TONS and ENJOY it!!!

You can also go on youtube and search for IDPA and watch a whole slew of videos to see what scenarios they might set up that weekend.

You're ahead of the curve already because you're asking the hard questions and taking the necessary steps, keep it up, you're doing a great job!!! :)

11. radio477

radio477 Well-Known Member

Aside from deadbolts what else have you done to fortify your home. Can you secure windows in case of an emergency? Do you have a basement or room in your home that could be fortified into a saferoom? Also gather other things that will come in handy such as tools, winter clothing, boots. If possible maybe a small track of rural land and maybe learn to garden.