Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Texas!!!
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you ever see a time when you will be "finished" or prepared? Will the day ever come that you will say to yourself, "I'm ready"?

It seems no matter how many preps I have I am always thinking of something else that I need. I think the sheer volume of what needs to be done is the main thing that overwhelms beginning preppers. Prepping seems to take on a life of its own.

·
Banned
399 Posts
Sometimes it seems like prepping can become a bad habit.
If prepping interfers with your daily life beyond a reasonable amount it might be excessive.
If you are spending money you do not have or effecting yourself or family in a bad way it might be excessive.
If you have to get rid of some preps because they go bad or feel the need to replace them it might be excessive.
If prepping becomes the most important thing in your life it might be excessive.

Too much of a good thing is no longer a good thing.

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
Sometimes it seems like prepping can become a bad habit.
If prepping interfers with your daily life beyond a reasonable amount it might be excessive.
If you are spending money you do not have or effecting yourself or family in a bad way it might be excessive.
If you have to get rid of some preps because they go bad or feel the need to replace them it might be excessive.
If prepping becomes the most important thing in your life it might be excessive.

Too much of a good thing is no longer a good thing.
how much Healthy Choice ice cream can I eat before it ceases to be a healthy choice ?

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Do you ever see a time when you will be "finished" or prepared? Will the day ever come that you will say to yourself, "I'm ready"?

It seems no matter how many preps I have I am always thinking of something else that I need. I think the sheer volume of what needs to be done is the main thing that overwhelms beginning preppers. Prepping seems to take on a life of its own.
For myself ... No,

Knowledge is never ending.

·
Aesops Ant (not Aunt)
1,499 Posts
There is no such thing as being "finished". Prepping is a lifestyle and should not cause the problems that power mentioned. It is a bad preparation if it makes you less prepared for "normal" life. Such would be the case if you are taking out a mortgage on your home to purchase ten years of food. On the contrary, to me, prepping is just the way you live you life. Being self-sufficient and able to stand on your own (at least make the best of) in any situation. Its not about seeing how much food you can store or how many guns you can own. Much of prepping is mental/spiritual too or else you will fail the situational testing.

Thats my 2¢ which as you know I dont mind sharing :D

·
Aesops Ant (not Aunt)
1,499 Posts
how much Healthy Choice ice cream can I eat before it ceases to be a healthy choice ?
I am not certain of the answer to this but I will begin testing and I will get back to you ;)

·
Banned
440 Posts
QUOTE]

Every morning I wake-up and say this will be a glorious day to die. If you are willing to embrace death........you are fully prepared. (Note: this works if you are 17 or 77 years old).

you are prepared to die, then everything you do in life is just for Fun, kind of like a vacation, you know it will end one day, so you embrace each moment.

·
Supporting Member
3,312 Posts
To me, prepping is really about being self-sufficient. And that's a way of life that never ends.

I do, however, think there are different stages in prepping (self-sufficiency), and I look forward to the day when I'm in 'maintenance' mode. ;) (I would define that as the point when you are primarily focused on maintaining food stores through the garden/hunting/livestock, and your home/property only requires maintenance.) It is understandable how prepping can seem overwhelming to a newbie, because prepping/self-sufficiency is a way of life - it calls you to make lifestyle changes. It calls you to see things differently - how to get food, water, materials for the home/vehicles that are different from what has become the norm. It calls for a return to more of a homesteading mentality.

But like *Andi says, the learning never ends. So even when a prepper is in maintenance mode, there will still be learning...

·
Aesops Ant (not Aunt)
1,499 Posts
To me, prepping is really about being self-sufficient. And that's a way of life that never ends.

I do, however, think there are different stages in prepping (self-sufficiency), and I look forward to the day when I'm in 'maintenance' mode. ;) (I would define that as the point when you are primarily focused on maintaining food stores through the garden/hunting/livestock, and your home/property only requires maintenance.) It is understandable how prepping can seem overwhelming to a newbie, because prepping/self-sufficiency is a way of life - it calls you to make lifestyle changes. It calls you to see things differently - how to get food, water, materials for the home/vehicles that are different from what has become the norm. It calls for a return to more of a homesteading mentality.

But like *Andi says, the learning never ends. So even when a prepper is in maintenance mode, there will still be learning...
Great explanation and I agree!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
prepping never really ends. we get, find and then use. we then repeat the cycle again. no one ever finishes. preppers will die but their preps will go on......to some other prepper.

·
Banned
3,707 Posts

What would "finished" or ready look like?

I don't think that preppers are ever "finished". I think that each day we have a chance to get more prepared. Every day you have the chance to secure your property more, educate yourself more, re-think your safety plan, stock more ammunition, food, water, supplies and whatever.

I digress, but I can't help but correlate this suggestion with "winning" the war in Iraq or Afghanistan. There is no winning there. And there is no ever being totally prepared.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts

Yes, there will come a day when I say to myself that I'm ready. I'll have at least one gallon of water per person per day. We'll have at least a year's supply of food, enough guns and ammo, enough kerosene heaters and kerosene, and enough of everything else we can think of.

We're preparing for hyperinflation, the complete collapse of the economy, government, and society. I believe that at some time during that year that martial law will be declared and order will be restored. Those of us with gold and silver will be able to buy the new currency that's based on the gold standard.

·
Aesops Ant (not Aunt)
1,499 Posts
Yes, there will come a day when I say to myself that I'm ready. I'll have at least one gallon of water per person per day. We'll have at least a year's supply of food, enough guns and ammo, enough kerosene heaters and kerosene, and enough of everything else we can think of.

We're preparing for hyperinflation, the complete collapse of the economy, government, and society. I believe that at some time during that year that martial law will be declared and order will be restored. Those of us with gold and silver will be able to buy the new currency that's based on the gold standard.
I suppose if you are like BillS and you are prepping for a specific forseen event you can be finished or ready but I get the impression that most of us are prepping to be self-sufficient forever -- as a way of life.

And even for me if I was prepping for what BillS described I would get to the point where there is just one more thing might help me out. The hard part about what BillS is preparing for is that he makes assumptions about the length of time things will last and what their outcomes will be -- which you have to do if you are going to ever be finished -- but I would have less optimistic expectations for an outcome of such events.

·
Banned
3,707 Posts
What would "finished" or ready look like?

I don't think that preppers are ever "finished". I think that each day we have a chance to get more prepared. Every day you have the chance to secure your property more, educate yourself more, re-think your safety plan, stock more ammunition, food, water, supplies and whatever.

I digress, but I can't help but correlate this suggestion with "winning" the war in Iraq or Afghanistan. There is no winning there. And there is no ever being totally prepared.
All that said, when I am totally prepared, I will have a rustic home where minimal living happens as a diversion for the real deal of supplies and possibilities, 10-20 + years worth of food for my family (not one year's worth because we are not going to have a one year problem), a few years worth of contained and protected safe for consumption water (I believe water contamination will be a strategy for control of the masses) plus a way of harvesting and storing rainwater, numerous mature fruit trees and bushes, a large herbal garden, a large onion - garlic patch growing in a wild like patch, an underground bunker on a property with several well hidden caches of supplies scattered around, a wood gassifier to produce my own fuel, simple machinery for plowing, planting and harvesting enough grains each year to keep the stores filled, tunnels around a perimeter that is reinforced with lots of big stones and felled trees to create a barrier that would be difficult to penetrate. Since this could take several people a lifetime to create, it is probably never going to be finished.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
I suppose if you are like BillS and you are prepping for a specific forseen event you can be finished or ready but I get the impression that most of us are prepping to be self-sufficient forever -- as a way of life.

And even for me if I was prepping for what BillS described I would get to the point where there is just one more thing might help me out. The hard part about what BillS is preparing for is that he makes assumptions about the length of time things will last and what their outcomes will be -- which you have to do if you are going to ever be finished -- but I would have less optimistic expectations for an outcome of such events.
Those are all valid points. I think some of what I'm doing is limited based on space, resources, and circumstances. I live in a 2 1/2 bedroom condo with a garage and a basement. I don't own land. I don't think it's practical to store two years worth of food and water. One thing that's hard is that I can't become fully prepared too early or too late. I'm stocking up on water but at some point that water won't be fit to drink and the jugs will start to leak. But I can't wait until one gallon of water is $5 or a general panic sets in and all the store shelves become empty either. At some point I'll need to stock up on some kerosene but there are legal limits on how much you can have in your garage if you live in Wisconsin. I don't want to buy 350 gallons and keep it in my garage for the next 10 years. But I should have some for heating and cooking in case of a long power outage.

·
Registered
45 Posts

I agree with this, too. Perfectly stated :)

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Those are all valid points. I think some of what I'm doing is limited based on space, resources, and circumstances. I live in a 2 1/2 bedroom condo with a garage and a basement. I don't own land. I don't think it's practical to store two years worth of food and water. One thing that's hard is that I can't become fully prepared too early or too late. I'm stocking up on water but at some point that water won't be fit to drink and the jugs will start to leak. But I can't wait until one gallon of water is $5 or a general panic sets in and all the store shelves become empty either. At some point I'll need to stock up on some kerosene but there are legal limits on how much you can have in your garage if you live in Wisconsin. I don't want to buy 350 gallons and keep it in my garage for the next 10 years. But I should have some for heating and cooking in case of a long power outage.
Aren't you in Ky>???? We plan on getting 35 gallon water buckets ($15 each)at Lexington Containers next week---I also have 8-- 5 gallon buckets unfilled----but would rather have the stackable 35 gallon for the garage.
The $9 coleman fuel at Kmart just went to $10--yep--not surprised. I love Kmart and I'm disappointed in the price-gouging!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts