Whats the deal with HAM's and sun spots?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by lexsurivor, Aug 6, 2010.

1. lexsurivor

lexsurivor Well-Known Member

People keep on talking about sunspots when talking about HAM radios. What do sunspots have to do with it? Does it boost its range?

2. nj_m715

nj_m715 www.veggear.blogspot.com

It can let you speak to your father if he's dead. Atleast that's how the movie goes.

I'm not a ham, but believe it can cause disruptions in the atmosphere that can reflect signals normaly lost into space. Some wave lentghs are affected differently that others.

3. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

Here is some info from a HAM operator, the sun solar cycle http://www.solarcycle24.com/ is much welcomed by the amatuer radio faterinity with an impact on the different E-layers surrounding the earth. It tends to make propagation for DX(long distance) communication much better. Propagation

4. HarleyRider

HarleyRider Comic Relief Member

Sunspots are spots on the sun, and HAM radios are radios make out of pig parts. :eek: :D

It's range is only as big as it's pigpen. :eek: :D

You know what they say.... a pig in the pan is worth two in the bush! :cool:

5. bunkerbob

Huh???:scratch:scratch

6. HarleyRider

See, you learn something new every day on this site. :) I would have thought it would cause interference with the signal such as increased static or overwhelming the signal. Thanks, bunkerbob. :congrat:

BTW, just ignore the comic relief... the real comic is out of town, I'm just the relief. :D

7. bunkerbob

Oh, now I get it this is the spots you thought I was referring to...:D:D;) get it HAM spots.

Attached Files:

8. HarleyRider

That was truly "Spot On". :eek: :D:D:D