Prepared Society Forum banner
2,001 - 2,020 of 2,062 Posts
I just loaded up the dehydrator with "Jumbo Pink Banana Squash". It is a winter squash and am seeing how it comes out.

If it is OK, may start drying it full time, am trying to decide if I am going to can ro dry it.
I cracked open a bucket of the Jumbo Pink Banana Squash I dehydrated about 5 years ago and decided to make a cake(pumpkin bread) from it and see how it came out.

Was surprised, came out better than made with fresh, dont know why but wont argue about it.

Good Stuff!

Hmmmm. Never tried that before. Is it good? Pickle popcorn? Probably the weirdest popcorn I eat is with melted red hots in the oil you pop the corn in. It's kinda pretty to make popcorn balls out of, and then some plain ones too at Christmastime.
I bought a 25 lb box of tomatoes real cheap and am on day two in the dehydrator. Just making tomato powder. Lately I've made a bunch of garbanzo bean powder and pumpkin powder.

Last night I opened 8 quarts of pintos, pureed them and put one jar on each tray. I wanted to know how much each jar would yield. I had 1 1/2 cups of dehydrated beans on each tray this morning. The 9th tray was a pint of chopped jalapenos and when I powdered it, there was about 3 tablespoons of powder. I just used some to make bean dip and it is good.

Hmmmm. Never tried that before. Is it good? Pickle popcorn? Probably the weirdest popcorn I eat is with melted red hots in the oil you pop the corn in. It's kinda pretty to make popcorn balls out of, and then some plain ones too at Christmastime.
I bought a 25 lb box of tomatoes real cheap and am on day two in the dehydrator. Just making tomato powder. Lately I've made a bunch of garbanzo bean powder and pumpkin powder.
e

I have many jars of dried tomatoes and need to powder some for soups, paste, sauce and such..thanks for remindiing me.
Do you have a measurement for how many tsp., etc, to water for tomato sauce, paste when hydrating???:rolleyes:

I dug horseradish up from the garden. Scrubbed it, peeled it, rescrubbed & grated it up. I kept 1 pint sized jar & added in 3/4 cup for the fridge. The rest I threw in the dehydrator till brittle. This you just throw into any recipe without hydrating if cooking with it. If used in dips or spreads add equal parts warm water and let sit for about 30 minutes. Just an FYI if you have never grated it before, it is strong so open the windows, better yet grate outside. You will tear up.

I dug horseradish up from the garden. Scrubbed it, peeled it, rescrubbed & grated it up. I kept 1 pint sized jar & added in 3/4 cup for the fridge. The rest I threw in the dehydrator till brittle. This you just throw into any recipe without hydrating if cooking with it. If used in dips or spreads add equal parts warm water and let sit for about 30 minutes. Just an FYI if you have never grated it before, it is strong so open the windows, better yet grate outside. You will tear up.
Should have read 3/4 cup vinegar to the pint sized jar of horseradish, just in case anyone wants to try it out. That's what I get for trying to post something while I am making dinner!

2,001 - 2,020 of 2,062 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.