Whats everybody doing today?

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by Genevieve, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Genevieve

Genevieve I'm done - gone

What is everyone doing today? I was just wondering :D

I'm roasting a chicken and I'll be doing up a mix of baked sweet and white potatoes to go with for supper today. I'll also be baking all the potatoes I have so I can make potato salad later in the week when it's in the 90's. Later on I'll make some nice broth in the crockpot with the bones.

I'm also doing some laundry. I finished weeding the large bed where I have the melons and zucchini growing. Looking good. Bet they'd look better if I got to start earlier but..... oh well

I'll be heading to the farm market tomorrow. Need more cherries and hopefully some strawberries for dehydrating. I also need to find some more potatoes. I want to dehydrate some of those also. I want to do hash, cubed and slices. I can only run my big Excalibur or my 2 nescos in the outdoor kitchen. I can't run all of them at the same time on the same outlet. I'm thinking I need to swipe one the hubby's heavy duty extension cord and then use it in another outlet out side so I can run all of them at the same time;)

2. hashbrown

hashbrown Peckerwood

Wow! You're busy. I got up early and worked in the garden this morning trying to beat the heat. I should cut a load of firewood, but I think I will take my wife and son to the creek instead.

3. cowboyhermit

cowboyhermit Supporting Member

We try to relax a bit on Sunday and do things that we enjoy, even if they happen to be harder "work" than what we do during the rest of the week.

Besides the regular chores my cows are calving right now so I like to spend some time with them, very rarely do they need any help but I do have a lot of heifers that will be starting soon *knock on wood*.

The S.O wants to gather some wild rose petals and they are coming into full bloom now so we will likely have a good hike. I am so so on picking but still a decent packmule. I have some fencing that needs doing that requires about a mile hike with equipment through a bunch of swampy land so we might combine the two. Did some work there a couple days ago, lit a fire and cooked a nice meal (including some mushrooms I stumbled across) even though it has been raining incessantly here. The fireflies were amazing and I ended up not getting out until after midnight.

Sometimes I wonder why the hardest physical work feels less like work that does the "easy" stuff like driving.

Probably play a tabletop game tonight, likely Firefly because the bugs got me thinking about it :D

4. Tweto

Tweto I love the smell of Argon in the morning

So far today I have finished installing a new dishwasher, ran a new drain line for the furnace, finished cleaning and glass beading an aluminum intake manifold and reassembled a head for the car.

This afternoon, I will disassemble another head with the exhaust manifold. After disassembly I will glass bead all the nuts and bolts. then I will spend some time in the garden.

Tonight I will be grilling fish for dinner.

I don't take any days off.

5. Davarm

Davarm Texan

I'm not doing much of anything today, we had an unexpected rain last night/this morning(still raining) - about 4 inches so "outside" is not going to happen.

I may drive down to the river(Brazos-a mile or two away) a little later and see if the rain raised the water level any.

6. medicme

medicme Newbie

Went to church this morning. Made a to do list for the week and supplies I needed when I run into town tomorrow. Now working on plans for my future cabin :coffee:. Have to take the saw blade off to replace and finish the molding on the baseboards later to get my house on the market and trim a couple shrubs that are starting to look like trees since the weather is cooler with the scattered showers. Short week, as my daughter will begin college and we have a student conference at Texas A & M later this week. Excited for her. Two weeks before nursing classes start and still a lot to get done. Have a great day all.

7. readytogo

readytogo ExCommunicated

Sounds to me like you have a nice machine shop going on,I miss those days:D

8. Genevieve

saturday is our day to do stuff we like around here lol but as long as I get one day with the hubby I"m happy. speaking of finishing a cabin thats what he was off doing today for a friend from work. I think they were doing drywall but don't hold me to that :)

I was busy today because later in the week it'll be too hot to go out and do things ( 90's) so I'm trying to get a things done today and tomorrow because it's only in the low 80's.

I have plenty to vacuum seal and put in mylar later in the week when I stay inside ;)

I do need to clean the pool but I'll wait for the high temps to "play" in the pool:p

9. Dakine

Dakine Uber Newbie

worked a 13 hour over night shift last night and was able to get about 3 hours sleep before noon.

Went to HF and got some cool stuff like 5ft digging bar on clearance which I desperately need to finish the holes in the thick clay dirt for the rabbitat.

Then a trip to a hobby store to get more paint for colorfilling slides and mags, and going to do some work on a few AR's.

Oh and grocery shopping, the bunnies have a weeks worth of carrots again lol

10. Wellrounded

Wellrounded Supporting Member

A third batch of tomato ketchup (Tomato Sauce to us Aussies) this week. Middle of winter here but I have green toms ripening on vege shelves in the loungeroom. I've pulled 25lb off the shelves so far :). We're expecting rain today so after chores (feed animals, firewood, housework) I might have another look at my new/old treadle sewing machine and do a bit of mending. Maybe make hubby a chocolate cake and I need to make bread and yoghurt. Also need to work out a materials list for the next bit of house building, want to get my sewing room walls finished soon so it's warm up there and I can keep downstairs a bit tidier.
    My daughter and granddaughter will be down for a visit later, they live 150 yards up the hill :). Her hubby is a work today and she usually comes down for afternoon tea when he's away.
    We were going to have a butchering day today but not with this rain, will leave that until the weather clears.
    Just had a look at the weather report, slight chance of snow today, we haven't had snow here for 15 years.

11. Tweto

Tweto I love the smell of Argon in the morning

It can be a curse! I can't hire some one to do anything because I can do it.

12. txcatlady

txcatlady Texan

Played piano for church this AM. Fed my daughters animals and watered plants while they are out of town. Just a dog and horse to feed and check house pet. Stayed on tractor mowing till 9:15. Easy day. Tomorrow may mow some more or can potatoes and dry a few. Not happy with butter I canned. Boiled it 10 minutes, but been sitting for 24 hours and still runny. Any ideas? Processed 1 hour in pressure canner.

13. Davarm

Davarm Texan

If your jars of butter are at room temp its generally going to be runny, if you want to firm it up pitch it into the fridge for a while.

14. tsrwivey

tsrwivey Supporting Member

Yesterday we worked at the land all day. We got the weed eating done, the site for the septic tanks prepped, & trees/brush cut back to make a path to get the tanks in. After that, I went to the grocery.

Today I'm working but I brought my patient to my house so I can get something done. I'm catching up on the laundry that's waayyyy behind, putting some red bell peppers on the dryer, & just picking up & putting up around here. Made a few phone calls, paid a few bills, planned things out for the week.

15. Genevieve

ah yes the picking up and putting up.....:D

I did a little more outside. Had to add some more height for the cukes as they're starting to take off. I pinched off some suckers on the tomato plants. Picked a quart of cherries and a handful of blue berries but I ate them( blue berries);)

gonna make some baked spaghetti today since it's still relatively cool enough to use the oven for the bread and casserole.

did a load of towels and still haven't folded them :rolleyes:

when we put in the septic tank we made sure that we built an access portal from block over the opening to clean it out and hubby built a roof that just lifted off so we wouldn't have to dig up the septic ( and the yard) and we would always know where it is ( the opening). It was really easy for the septic guy to just back up to it, hubby and him lifted the roof off and he could just jump down in there take the hatch off and use the hose to clean it out. fast and handy.

We did the same with the pump for the well ( actually it's the pressure tank). Dug the hole nice and deep ( so it doesn't freeze) and big enough to get a ladder down along the side to get down in there, we added a layer of gravel, hubby poured a small pad for the tank and then used block again, water proofed it and added another roof only this time he use heavy duty straps and hinges to use to open it. It's come in handy before too. and we know where the pressure tank for the house is.

16. txcatlady

txcatlady Texan

Spent morning on tractor mowing till started raining. Ate lunch and fell asleep! Went out to gather eggs and found a baby chick! So excited and another egg is moving around. Mowed yard and now need to pick tomatoes. May go back to mow pasture, feed bottle calf around 6:30 but keep checking my chick! So fun. Have 4 kittens on back porch that are 6 weeks old. So ready for them to go somewhere else! Not quite ready to fully wean. They haven't even been outside yet.

17. Halloween

Halloween Well-Known Member

Finally finishing my boots ImageUploadedBySurvival Forum1403564945.057315.jpg

RedBeard likes this.
  18. tsrwivey

tsrwivey Supporting Member

Another trip to Dallas today for a routine check up. There are four kids trashing the house right now, two of whom need a nap & one needs to tell his parents they want him. The forth, well, he's in fine form today, bless his heart :). I feel like I'm in an old Calgon commercial. :D

19. Lake Windsong

Lake Windsong Well-Known Member

I am loving the local farmer markets this summer! At one of my favorite markets this morning, the dairy farm brought one of their dairy cows (they have really good milk) the booth next to them was frying up some pork sausage samples; nearby were goat cheese samples. Yum Yum. A local gluten-free bakery has a booth at most local markets in the area, always nice to buy their baked goods for a special treat. Good vibes buying produce, meats, and products from our local farmers. Plus the kids love shopping our grocery list outside. :)

20. readytogo

readytogo ExCommunicated

Been canning mango marmalade plain and with pineapple,and I`m a diabetic right :D also canned roasted turkey and bbq beans,now the girls want brownies so I will also baked garlic roll ,just finish trimming my Cuban grape tree which almost kill me and was going to cut the grass but thunder hit,thank God,rain saved me.