Prepared Society Forum banner

1 - 20 of 4124 Posts

·
timmie
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got through with collards and pecans last nite. today is chicken and venison. got to clean out freezer to get ready for fruits and veggies. what about you?

·
Texan
5,950 Posts
10 bounds of butter today in half pint jars. Go it for $1.89 a pound.

Had to go to the store before I got in the garden and picked up 30 more pounds of chicken leg quarters for $5.90 per bag and just put them into the oven on a timer, 2- 2pound boxes of velveeta for $3.99am each and am going to can it all along with the butter tonight.

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
Last weekend we did apples... applepie in a jar, apple butter, apple sauce and mincemeat pie filling. Had the MAG over for a canning party.
I just planted 4 30ft rows of Roma tomatoes for Aug canning party, and a 60ft row of pickling cucs.

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Cran/Grape Juice ... Very nice.

·
Texan
5,950 Posts
Last weekend we did apples... applepie in a jar, apple butter, apple sauce and mincemeat pie filling. Had the MAG over for a canning party.
I just planted 4 30ft rows of Roma tomatoes for Aug canning party, and a 60ft row of pickling cucs.
Bob,
I just have to ask how do you do the apple pie in the jars?, sounds good. Also how do you make your mincemeat?, is it the traditional way with meat, suet and fruit, or the way that is popular now a days with no meat?

I am going out now to finish up my 10 - 60 foot rows of green beans, next week I am going to put in my tomatoes I am planning on 3 60 foot rows of "Celebrity" for canning, 1 60 foot row of "Roma" for sauce and I have a number of plots closer to the house where I will plant my Heirlooms.

I tried to get a goup going around here several years ago but people just looked at me like I was nuts, and I well could be and probably am,:D but that didnt have anything to do with the group I was trying to start.

·
Texan
5,950 Posts
Cran/Grape Juice ... Very nice.
I take it that the juice is from concentrate? If so could you post your directions, I have started canning apple and orange juice concentrate and I would like to compare notes to see if the procedure I came up with is on par with others methods.

·
Registered
155 Posts
no canning at the moment, But I've just dug up about 20 lbs of parsnips from the garden that I need to process and freeze and use up.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
no canning at the moment, But I've just dug up about 20 lbs of parsnips from the garden that I need to process and freeze and use up.
one of my favorites for parsnips fresh from the garden like that and so sweet it makes your teeth hurt... shredded nip pancakes... get about two cups of parsnip shredded and about one med onion also shredded or diced as small as you can.. mix in a bowl and then add one egg and mix well and then to this you add a couple good pinches of salt and pepper and about 1/2 cup flour to a bit more or a bit less depending on how much liquid was in the nips and about 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder.. mix well and then fry in heaping tablespoons in about an inch of hot fat(your choice here.. I've used any kind of oil to lard to bacon fat) turn when golden on one side and get golden on the other... serve with applesauce or sour cream or even ranch dressing... like latkes but with nips instead..
I grew up getting them out of the garden in the middle of winter from under their straw bales.. and also just lightly boiling them and then draining and adding a bit of butter and letting them brown a bit.. Hubby had not ever had them and now loves them too..

·
Texan
5,950 Posts

Had to go to the store before I got in the garden and picked up 30 more pounds of chicken leg quarters for $5.90 per bag and just put them into the oven on a timer, 2- 2pound boxes of velveeta for $3.99am each and am going to can it all along with the butter tonight.
It's 01:26 and I just took the last of the chicken out of the canner.

Wound up with 7 quarts of chicken, 25 half pints of butter, 10 half pints of Velveeta and tomorrow I will know how many quarts of chicken stock I will have, am letting it boil all night, usually get anywhere from 3 to 5.

Good part of the day in the garden, all night in the kitchen, daughters tell me I will make someone a good wife someday. For those who dont know, Im a grandpa.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Lordy, I wish you were my neighbor!
I wish he was mine! Maybe for a different reason;)

I wish I had someone nearby who could help me learn "all of the things I don't know, that I don't know". I think I'm a reasonably competent and intelligent person, but I feel that there is so much to be learned. And I feel a sense of urgency that I've never felt before.

So, I'm just going to pretend that you're all my neighbors and learn something from you every day.

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
So, I'm just going to pretend that you're all my neighbors and learn something from you every day.
Welcome neighbor ... ask away. :flower:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thanks I'll have to try that. I've already had fresh roasted Parsnips and fried Like you described at the end and I've got some saved for making a Parsnip bread loaf. Plus I just finished processing 9 quart freezer bags full and still have a gallon bag of leftovers.
one of my favorites for parsnips fresh from the garden like that and so sweet it makes your teeth hurt... shredded nip pancakes... get about two cups of parsnip shredded and about one med onion also shredded or diced as small as you can.. mix in a bowl and then add one egg and mix well and then to this you add a couple good pinches of salt and pepper and about 1/2 cup flour to a bit more or a bit less depending on how much liquid was in the nips and about 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder.. mix well and then fry in heaping tablespoons in about an inch of hot fat(your choice here.. I've used any kind of oil to lard to bacon fat) turn when golden on one side and get golden on the other... serve with applesauce or sour cream or even ranch dressing... like latkes but with nips instead..

·
Supporting Member
1,669 Posts
It's 01:26 and I just took the last of the chicken out of the canner.

Wound up with 7 quarts of chicken, 25 half pints of butter, 10 half pints of Velveeta and tomorrow I will know how many quarts of chicken stock I will have, am letting it boil all night, usually get anywhere from 3 to 5.

Good part of the day in the garden, all night in the kitchen, daughters tell me I will make someone a good wife someday. For those who dont know, Im a grandpa.
I have wondered and wondered if you were ma or pa, thanks for telling! You have all the skills of both...you're incredible, would you love to move to wa. state?? lol, when you can your butter do you melt it in the jar? and then water bath? Here's a rather naive question: to cook chicken to can, must it be a boiling chicken? Our store had whole fryers on sale but I wasn't sure if that would be the same as a canning chicken or not. After you quit laughing and compose yourself, I would sure appreciate your answer! :D You are teaching us all so much, maybe me especially! thanx

·
Texan
5,950 Posts
I wish he was mine! Maybe for a different reason;)
:eek: LOL :eek:

I wish I had someone nearby who could help me learn "all of the things I don't know, that I don't know". I think I'm a reasonably competent and intelligent person, but I feel that there is so much to be learned. And I feel a sense of urgency that I've never felt before.

Like LilRedHen said, ask away and we all can try to fill in the blank spaces.

neldarez said:
I have wondered and wondered if you were ma or pa, thanks for telling! You have all the skills of both...you're incredible, would you love to move to wa. state?? lol, when you can your butter do you melt it in the jar? and then water bath? Here's a rather naive question: to cook chicken to can, must it be a boiling chicken? Our store had whole fryers on sale but I wasn't sure if that would be the same as a canning chicken or not. After you quit laughing and compose yourself, I would sure appreciate your answer! You are teaching us all so much, maybe me especially! thanx
Garsh, Im embarrassed!

Well, Im a Pa of 3 (now) grown daughters and Grandpa of a non stop, 90 mph 3 year old grandson all of which I love to pieces. I had to develop the skills when their mother "Bugged-Out" about 10 - 15 years ago.

You better watch it though, you are giving me a "big head" - cant afford many new hats to accomodate it. You have a beautiful state and hope I have the occasion to visit up your way again in the future but I'm a hardcore Texan and couldn't leave here unless the future circumstances made it impossible to stay. My late brother lived in Sand Point, Idaho and before he passed on, said that he had found his new home. He loved it up there.

When I can the butter I melt it in a big granite ware pan on a very low heat and then, keeping it stirred, ladle it into the half pint jars. I use half pints so that it will have less chance of going bad if it is opened and the power is ever lost(planning ahead). When I started canning it I used a water bath to can it since the cream had been already been pasturized before it was made into butter. I later realized that pressure canning it did not adversely effect the quality or taste so I started pressuring it at 5 pounds for an hour. Good Stuff. I believe someone started a thread on canning butter a few months back and if you follow those instructions you cant go wrong. I have my own shortcuts and procedures that I feel comfortable with, although they are not the same, the end result is the same.

With the chicken, I can whatever is cheapest, usually leg quarters when they go on sale. I originally started canning it bone in, packed raw in jars with the long bones broken in several places and pressured for about 1 1/2 hours at 10 psi. When I started reading this site I found that everyone here cooked it first so I gave it a try and like it much better. I Bake it in covered pans in the oven until it is done, pick the meat off the bones and pack it into jars and cover it with the liquid that cooked out in the oven. Done this way, without additional water to boil it in, I think keeps more flavor but that is only my opinion and preference. Others stew it down on the stove top instead.

I dont laugh at any serious question that is ever asked of me. Someones desire to learn is not to be scoffed at and I am probably learning more at this site by asking questions than I am teaching so it all evens out in the long run.

I feel it is an honor and privilege to being to able to help and teach someone something that will help them in what they undertake so keep the questions coming and I will do my best to answer them.

·
Texan
5,950 Posts
I didn't can these today but back around thanksgiving and christmas, left over candied sweet potatoes. We opened a jar tonight and tried them out and they were great.

We prepared them with brown sugar, pecans, butter with marsh mellows on top. I always make more than we will eat, really good left overs. Instead of keeping them in the fridge until they were eaten, I just filled pint jars with sweet potatoes, nuts, syrup and marsh mellows, everything that was left in the pan went into the jars. Pressure canned them and put them on the shelf.

Tonight we opened a jar for the youngest daughter and I to have a sweet snack before she went to bed. After her first bite, I saw the look in her eyes as she reached her spoon to my bowl and started dishing my helping out into her bowl.

These were good enough that I am going to can a supply to put on the shelf to go along with the dehydrated sweet potatoes packed into buckets in the pantry.

·
timmie
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
how long did you process for?waterbath or pressure canner.come on now give so the rest of us can add another sweet delicacy to our preps.:crossfinger:

1 - 20 of 4124 Posts