What would make this survival list more complete?

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by WhipNasty, Apr 26, 2010.

Tags:
  1. WhipNasty

WhipNasty Member

wire
    wire cutters
    hooks
    lighters
    matches
    flint
    magnesium starters
    seeds
    knives
    22 ammo and guns
    Chlorine powder
    rope
    hand drill
    hack saw and replacement blades
    field surgical kits
    waterproof bags
    compass
    night vision binoculars
    gun cleaning kits
    sharpening files and rocks
    tarps
    swiss army knife (old school can opener)
    sewing kit/thread
    Axe
    Hatchet
    Machete
    hurricane lanterns
    salt
    baking soda

Also looking for where I can buy this stuff at good prices, thanks!

2. sinbad

sinbad Well-Known Member

If you need pliers to remove the fishing hooks or to fix anything, you will find them in a multitool not in a swisss army knife.

So, I suggest a multitool.

Alcohol wipes can be used for first aid, or to start a fire.

3. 101airborne

101airborne Well-Known Member

I would add

something to store/transport water

pots/pans for cooking/boiling water

esbit or similar stove for cooking

water purification tabs/filter

dehyd or similar foods

local/topo maps if you need to leave

good sturdy pair of boots/shoes and a couple changes of clothes

/ground sheet/tent

Good quality backpack with frame

some type oc communications device

Good quality first aid kit

There are likely several more things I could recommend but off the top of my head I can't think of them right now. One thing I would recommend is making a family emergency plan that tells everyone the who, what, where, when, and why of each ones responsibility in the event of_________________________. If you are interested PM me and I'll give you some links on how to make a family plan.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  4. HarleyRider

HarleyRider Comic Relief Member

I would add a .357 calibre pistol with hollow point ammunition (great stopping power) or a .45 calibre pistol.

5. Seneschal

Seneschal Crazy snake chick

Twine and/or rope. It can be surprisingly useful.

6. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

Having had both in my life, I agree with Sinbad that a milti tool is the way to go, rather than a Swiss knife. Much more durable.

7. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

A book on wild edible foods might come in handy.

8. flatwater

flatwater Well-Known Member

If your married be sure to add your wife and maybe the kids.

9. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

I would add in a mini-flare-gun that allows you to fire off several different color flares (each color is supposed to have a meaning behind it) as well as the ability to fire bear-bangers. Pictured below is a fairly common style of mini-flare-gun.

I would also toss in a survival shelter (or the means to make one). A Bivy-Sack (Bivouac sack - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) is one shelter that just works very well in all weather conditions. You can expand on that with a Bivy-Shelter which is basically a combination sleeping-bag / tent all in one. Just a link to check out: MSR E-Bivy 1 Person Bivy Sack (Spring 2010) - Gearapalooza where you can purchase the sack.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 3, 2010
  10. HarleyRider

HarleyRider Comic Relief Member

I would definitely add a hammer, nails (all sizes), screwdriver set, and a couple of boxes of assorted screws. Also, consider a couple of bags of quick setting cement and some mosquito netting.

11. Littlebit

Littlebit Well-Known Member

These sites are good for supplies. Emergency Essentials, Honeyville Foods They have great shipping rates and Campservival.com They have some good prices on somethings. If you have pets don't forget about them.
    I am steal learning myself, but this is the site to do that.

12. philjam

philjam Well-Known Member

Paw grip steel traps in sizes from #1 to # 4, Body grip traps in sizes from #110 to #330, and steel snares. Along with books on the basics of trapping, skinning, tanning, butchering and preserving.

Last edited: May 10, 2010
  13. GroovyMike

GroovyMike Well-Known Member

It totally depends on what you are preparing for and where you are. In my opinion a 22 is a completely inadequate firearm for bird hunting or bear protection, so i'd swap the 22 and everything for it in favor of a good 12 gauge. In winter and snow country you need parkas, mittens, snowshoes; in desert you need sun related protection, and water collecting gear, on the coast a completely differnt set of gear. We need more info to best help you.

14. pioneergirl

pioneergirl Junior Member

We are preparing kits for a couple of climates, since we really don't know what will happen. Not to mention a bug-out bag for general purpose. To me, the main thing is SKILLS. Not saying we all have to be like McGyver, lol, but basic skills, or knowledge of things. Wild foods/foraging, basic survival with nothing or minimal tools/supplies, hunting/cooking/tanning/sewing skills, etc. It also depends on if you're planning on staying where you are, or leaving.

15. Kathryn

Kathryn Active Member

Another thing to add to your bug out bag

If things really got bad there wont be any doctors to run to if you get an infection, thus a smart thing to have on hand are antibiotics. If you can't get your doctor to prescribe you some before you have to bug out, an alternative is vetranarian antibiotics which can be purchased without a prescription and are safe for human use if regular antibiotics can't be obtained. The last thing you want to have happen is developing Sepsis because of a wound that got infected. There are a number of other things which I will post later.

16. allen_idaho

allen_idaho Well-Known Member

Before coming up with a list of supplies, it would be best to better understand your overall goals. What do you hope to achieve if the SHTF?

Do you plan on bugging in or bugging out?

Does your list of supplies need to be portable?

What type of area do you live in? Rural or city?

What area do you plan on bugging out to, if applicable?

What needs would you like to be met post-SHTF, idealy in regards to power, shelter, food, etc. ?

17. UneasyRider

UneasyRider Port St. John Florida

Good questions!

18. foust1012

foust1012 New Member

I would certainly add a water purifier. Berkey systems are the best out there in my opinion. A great place to buy one is www. Berkeyproducts.com. They are helpful and their prices are better or as good as any.

19. jimLE

jimLE Member

the all metal post hole digger.and a way to make new fence post..

20. ras1219como

ras1219como Well-Known Member

This thread is over 5 years old and the OP only posted 7 times...I don't think he/she is going to read any additional advice.