What wild plants ot trees to plant

Discussion in 'Gardening and Agriculture' started by chuckinnc, Nov 2, 2011.

1. chuckinnc

chuckinnc Member

I have about 20 acers that has grown up in weeds and scrub pines, I don't
    plan on farming it and if I did, when disaster hit everyone would flood in looking for food so I want to plant some perenial plants or trees here and there that will produce something to eat in atlerast 3-5 years.
    They must be able to survive in the mid alantic red clay belt without alot of
    care, except for watering. I have fully wooded areas and some open areas
    and also a small pond but no flowing water.

2. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

Investigate Apple, Peach & Pear Trees. Google Big Horse Creek Farm, they are located somewhere in N.C. They can recommend what to plant of their over 300 varieties of trees.;)

3. Expeditioner

Expeditioner Well-Known Member

Muscadines, blueberries, blackberries, and apple trees.

4. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

I suppose you could ring the property with briar a few yards deep :eek:

[​IMG]

then it probably wouldn't matter all that much what you planted as long as it was shorter than the perimeter 'wall' :dunno:

how many people/animals do you need to feed?

5. chuckinnc

chuckinnc Member

No animals to fee yet

Don't want to deal with aminals yet and not sure about how many to keep up
    If things get that bad than probably only 2, maybe just myself. Mostly just looking for something to plant in between the trees and thickets.

6. The_Blob

having friends is nice...

It's been touched upon a lot on the forum that lone-wolf survival @ a homestead in a true :shtf: situation is a near-impossibility due to that whole eating/crapping/sleeping thing we humans have to do. I'm sure it can be done nomadically (on a boat or other vehicle at best, maybe), but anything sustainable enough to provide for your needs is going to be a very large target... :dunno: :surrender:

7. ttruscott

ttruscott white belt

Blackberry hedges work great and give a good crop and don't forget elderberries for immune boosting and virus resistance.

8. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

I'd go with something that is edible but many folks wouldn't know that it is food.. like Pawpaw trees. Maybe some of the big old roses that make huge hips(great dried for vitamins in the winter), maybe some fig trees(they should grow in your area).. Maybe some buckthorn bushes-chinese chestnuts have very good high in protein nuts.
    Cornilien cherry trees/bushes-very high in vitamin C.
    Persimmon trees make fruit that most are not familiar with.
    Goumi is a tree/bush that makes fruit and has been used for other things like improving stomach problems.
    Mountain ash trees have some types that are large fruiting and are not well known.
    along with all the berrys that have nice thorny briers to make a thicket as a fence.
    Does Kudzu grow there too? it is edible.

9. goshengirl

goshengirl Supporting Member

I was going to suggest the pawpaws, too. And berry bushes (rasp or black). I love the idea of using thorny briars as a perimeter barrier!

10. The_Blob

I didn't suggest anything edible around the perimeter because I assumed it would become a target for 'zombies'...

11. FunnyFarm

FunnyFarm Member

Berries, nut trees, fruit trees....The one i would personally focus on is mushrooms. A little research can lead you to what wild mushrooms grow best where you are. The spore plugs aren't all that expensive and the harvests are plentiful and delicious.

12. goodoleboy8205

goodoleboy8205 Member

My self I wouldnt plant kudzu. in my experience the only way to get rid of it is to move very far away.

13. stayingthegame

stayingthegame Well-Known Member

goats eat kudzu. the problem with that plant is that it is hard to kill and it grows up to t foot a day. it is a BIG problem in parts of the south.

14. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Kudzu ... The plant that ate the south. :gaah:

I agree ... if I didn't have it, I would not plant it.

15. Davarm

Davarm Texan

Dont forget things like Poke, Lambs Quarter, Wild Onions, Cattails and even some species of briars have edible root masses that reach almost 100 pounds. Those types of edible plants would not be recognized as food by most people.

Try reading the books by Euell Gibbons, find the plants he foraged and plant em. The seeds for most wild edible plants can be found at specialty wesites and the harder the seed are to find, probobly the more obscure they would be to the general public and trespassers looking for a meal.

16. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

If you can not snip quotes properly then don't quote...
    I never said to plant it. I asked if it grows near the OP!!:rolleyes:
    As it is edible it should be taken into consideration as a wild harvest food source.
    TO BE CLEAR I NEVER SAID TO PLANT IT.. :mad:

17. Davarm

Davarm Texan

On the suject of Kudzu, if it would grow around here I would plant it in a heartbeat. I would tend it, harvest it, compost it and work it into my 1/2 acre garden.

Finding organic material to compost around here that hasn't been drenched with herbicide is next to impossible and it gets expensive to buy soil amendments from garden centers.

People have tried to grow it here for cattle feed but it just withers and dies out.

18. k0xxx

k0xxx Supporting Member

Jerusalem artichoke would be good to have. It's perennial, and a great source of Potassium.

Great Mullein, while not food, has a LOT of very practical uses. Everything from being used as a bow drill for fire starting, toilet paper, respiratory aliments, a "safe" fish paralytic, and more.

19. stand

stand ExCommunicated

trees take years to fruit, guys.

perhaps you can shorten this time with grafting onto existing trees, tho. Me, I'll take sprouting, like alphalfa and beans, in a little, plastic sheeting "greenhouse", dug below ground in the center of a thicket, on a hill.this gets rid of most of the risk of sun-reflection on the sheeting revealing my "garden" to any enemies. A year's stash of jerky, grains and legumes should be in buried metal drums, tho.

20. lanahi

lanahi Well-Known Member

Dwarf trees will bear sooner than regular trees, but bush fruits are even earlier. I would plant a prickly but edible border. Depending on where you live, Oregon grape is one that people would not know is edible. Wild roses give vitamin C well into the winter. If you have any pines, the needles can be made all winter into high vitamin C tea.

The most important need during survival times is protein and fat. Therefore, I'd plant lots of nut trees and bushes. Most will take a long time to bear nuts, but something like hazelnut (filbert) pruned as bushes would produce more quickly. I'd have some oak trees because most people don't know acorns are edible. Seeds of all kinds are also high in protein and often fats.

I'd have an ornamental but edible garden, with roses, day lilies, camas, Jerusalem artichokes, red amaranth, and many other plants that people just see as flowers and not as food. Starchy root crops give far more calories than greens.

Meadows can be filled in with edible wild plants, such as dock, wild onions and garlic, mint, clovers, salsify, etc. Grains can be planted as tall grasses. Some perennial or self-seeding vegetables will grow in a meadow and not be noticed (asparagus is one)...often you can scatter seeds and they will grow if they can compete with the other weeds.

Learn the wild edible plants and, where practical, transplant them to your acreage. Some do not transplant well, others are easy.