What supplies do you have?

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by lexsurivor, Jul 9, 2010.

1. lexsurivor

lexsurivor Well-Known Member

Right now I only have 3 gallons of water burried
    2 gallons in a BOB and some protein bars in my BOB

2. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

lex, you got me thinking. Out here in the wilds of Montana I've never stored water. We just figured there's water all around us up here, so why bother.

But what if something happened to that water, such as a chemical or biological agent, or a natural disaster like a volcano/ash, or fallout from nukes. We don't have a well. We either must treat rain water or haul it from town 9 miles away. If we've just made a water run we'd be in good shape for about a week. (longer if we conserve it).

It would be a good idea for us to fill a few jugs to have on hand. Thanks, lex!

3. longtime

longtime Well-Known Member

Gypsysue,
    If you treat rain water why not just use a day tank isolated from your system. We have a 850 gal. day tank that we use when we clean the main tank. It is always isolated from the system unless we are using it for water.

4. Akaalbany

Akaalbany Akaalbany

I also got a great tip from another prepper. I now fill all my emoty detergent bottles they are great for washing up you or your clothes I just label them wash water when you are done washing clothes or dishes or you you can pour water into a bucket for flushing toilet if power is out.

5. lexsurivor

Your welcome. I have just been digging a hole at 2-3 every night and burying 1 gallon of water bottles. The soil was hard the first two nights( I could only dig about a 1.5 square foot hole without being noticed). but today it rained so im hoping I can make a 3 sq ft hole or bigger.

6. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

lex, how deep are you burying them? As in, how much dirt over the top of the bottle?

I guess in cold places a person would want to go deeper than someone in the south?

longtime - what is a "day tank"?

7. lexsurivor

Honestly not real deep mabey 6-9 inches. Im in kentucky and it can get cold in the winter (below 0) so I might have to rebury them but so far its working well. I just dig a little bit then put them in a bar and drop them in then cover them, pat down and stomp on the dirt.