what signs do you see pointing to bad times

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by mickbear, Oct 8, 2010.

1. mickbear

mickbear Active Member

What signs do you see pointing to bad times ahead?
    My wife and i have allways been the types that were very self supporting.we have a large garden,chickens,honey bees,Ect.. that we've had for years.we have allways had good paying jobs,we tend to stay to our selfs out here in rural central GA,but we've been noticing how things seem to be changing for the worse.
    i know times are hard right now for a lot of people but is it just me or are things realy changing and what do ya'll see as signs that things may get worse before they get better

thanks
    mick

2. HozayBuck

HozayBuck Well-Known Member

Hi Mick

And welcome... my advice is to start reading every post in this forum and that will give you a jump start on most folks..but to me it sounds like you folks are doing everything right already... just stockpile what you can't grow, and read, read , read.. there is more bad information on the net then good I think, but there is good info in here.. some may go of the deep end ( :wave:) but you can't help but be better off for spending time here..

3. mickbear

mickbear Active Member

i'm glad i found this site and have realy enjoyed reading all the different information.a lot of good information i might add.

4. HozayBuck

HozayBuck Well-Known Member

Well there ya go!! keep reading and ask all the questions you want..somebody will have the answer...or at least "AN" answer..lol..

Again, welcome and enjoy!

5. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Hi, welcome to the forum! Glad to have you with us. Sounds like you have a lot going for you, with your jobs, garden and all. :)

What sort of things do you notice changing for the worse?

Those are the kind of things to keep in mind when you make decisions about prepping.

6. tortminder

tortminder Well-Known Member

Hi Mick and welcome.
    To address your original question, I believe it comes down to a few things.
    1. Unlike you and yours, many, if not most have lost the skills to do for themselves. This makes them more and more dependent on the "Goobermint".
    2. Uncle Sugar is bankrupt and the money and "Link card", (used to be food stamps), will sooner or later stop flowing. When that does happen, (not if, but when), there WILL be civil unrest.
    3. The weather world-wide has caused a reduction in harvests... not only in the northern/western hemisphere but world-wide, (rice harvest in the far east is down drastically). That is, for the most part, one of the main driving forces behind the radical increase in food prices.
    4. The fiat money system is collapsing world-wide and nation-states, (China, U.S. and others), are becoming protectionist regarding their currencies. People are starting to wake up to the fact that their "money" is back by, and therefore worth nothing. Loss of confidence in the fiat currency is historically what has been one of the last stages in societal collapse.
    5. Even the "sheeple" are starting to wake up some. Costco and Walmart now are selling "long-term food storage" packages. The drive-by media is starting to run stories preparing the populace for when "evil things this way come".

Being on this site, (and other like-minded venues) and having a "prepper" mindset puts you ahead of 99% of the rest of the population. Looks like you have a great start. Just remember that preparedness is a lot like eating an elephant; if you try to swallow it whole, you will choke. The only way to eat an elephant is one small bit at a time... over time.

Again, welcome to the community, (or as the signature of a friend of mine says on another forum; "Come over to the dark side... we have cookies!). :2thumb::D:2thumb::welcome:

7. mickbear

mickbear Active Member

great post--thats the type of things we have noticed.after reading a lot of post here ya'll sure have a ton of information that you share with other like minded people,i find that fantastic.

8. HarleyRider

HarleyRider Comic Relief Member

What signs do I see pointing to bad times? Tune in to your local newscast and pick one at random. :cry:

9. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

... or maybe just an opinion as well ... :scratch

10. GroovyMike

GroovyMike Well-Known Member

what signs?

All of them.

11. tortminder

tortminder Well-Known Member

Ya mean like "No Left Turn" or "Your Tax Dollars At Work" or "Dead End"?:gaah:

12. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

Lots of forclosed homes in my town, most people getting food stamps and metro/section8 housing. There are no living wage jobs around either.:(

13. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

They say there are no bread lines yet........the food stamp program is maxed out......hence your new bread lines. There are no jobs, housing is down the toilet, prices on everything are going up, our government doesn't have a clue. These are the signs I see. What bothers me more than anything is the lack of concern the adverage person shows, they don't want to even hear their world could change over night. Just keep prepping and don't tell anyone or you could end up a target. Shhh!

14. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

The new bread line ... has started ...

I heard on the radio the other day of a few places that are giving out food boxes. Looks like (around here) some can not make it with only food stamps. The boxes had basic foods ... dry beans, taters, apples (seconds from local farmers)

So you know if folks are standing in line for dry beans ... things are bad.

15. kyfarmer

kyfarmer Well-Known Member

Crap like that school shooting today, what the crap is that. A coward pure scum. Some nut or something else, we will see. It's crap like this that tell me that people are close to the breaking point. No kids hurt bad, if not for the plain joe's, who knows what would have happened.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
  16. Murph

Murph Member

When the government revises the jobs lost in the economy for 19 out of 20 months for the worse and the unemployment rate goes down because the government no longer counts the people who are no longer looking for jobs because there are none, you know the :shtf:

oh wait...

17. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

yeah....

The only people the government has fooled is themselves.

18. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Mine son finished his schooling back a few months ago (home school) . He has been looking for a "real job" for more than a year... no luck ...

Unemployment in our area ... over twenty percent. He has been told that when things turn around they will give him a call ... till then he has only the odd job here or there ... So if you add the number of people looking for their first job ... What would the numbers be????

19. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

This says it very well and the sentence in bold, troubles me more than all the rest of the problems that are unfolding. The folks that are oblivious, and I know plenty, are going to be an even worse nightmare than the economic problems themselves.

BTW :welcome:

20. lotsoflead

lotsoflead Well-Known Member

Living in a nanny state with taxpayer funded pensions,life time med benifits ect. and most of the people around here work for the state in some capacity,teacher,bus driver, prison guard,cop,DOT, everyday just looks like everyone hit the lotto,gas guzzeling SUVs all over the place, everyone has a boat that they use once a yr and 2 ATVs,restaurants all full every night, all the retired state workers set in the coffee shop every morning drinking their coffee and buying scratch offs with our money.
    I remind them from time to time that we're the next California, enjoy it while you can.