Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
a dude
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What less lethal options do you have or plan to get?

I'm aware of the normal ones, such as PR 24, OC, and rubber buck shot, but does anyone have some totally different ideas?

·
Reverend Coot
3,848 Posts
If I gotta pull the trigger were goin all the way. Sorry, wounded people talk, dead ones ain't got nothin ta say.

Was told by the sheriffs dept. don't wound em er their gonna own everthin ya got. Wish the world was different, but it's gettin crazier all the time.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Less lethal means using smaller bullets.. lots of em.. if ya have to shoot some AH.. don't shoot him till you think he's dead.. shoot him till "HE" thinks he dead.. then there is only one story for the cops to hear... but watch out for them damn pesky surveillance cameras..

·
a dude
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where is your compassion?

I didn't mean that, I just snicker when I type and say such things.

·
Reverend Coot
3,848 Posts
My compassion be in my butt covered over with my overalls, I keep it there so it don't cause me no trouble in situations like that en!:D

·
Retired Drill Sgt
33 Posts
Ball bat, ASP expandable batan, another ball bat....

·
Registered
55 Posts
What less lethal options do you have or plan to get?

I think we all have to ask ourselves ''what less than lethal options DO THEY HAVE in store for us when they finish taking what they claim is rightfully theirs to possess, & what DO THEY PLAN TO GIVE OUT to anyone who stands in their way.'' The way I see it there are really only
2-options available, ''Standing On Your Own 2-Feet! or cowering down on your knees....''

·
a dude
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My thoughts on less lethal devices is a survivalist seeks more options if possible. You never know what you might need and if you can get it, fine.

I've mixed feelings regarding OC and EID's (electronic immobilization devices) because I've seen when they work and don't work. While we've seen on tape someone like Rodney King who merely got irritated by a Taser, and hand held stun guns don't work on a percentage of people, others who use the regularly swear by them. I walked out of a convenience store some years back and saw an officer Tasering some fool who tried to shake down some customers at a gas station. The perp was pathetically whining and crying and became compliant. However, the LEO Taser isn't available to us, a shorter range device is available but it's supposedly less effective.

I'd like to get some solid training with an ASP, and SpaceGhost mentioned a homeowner's favorite, the baseball bat. It'd be interesting if someone actually developed a martial art based on the baseball bat...there's one based on Maglights.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have a simple philosophy that removes trhe need for less lethal hardware: If it is worth fighting over it is worth killing over. This substantialy raises the bar for conflict.

·
a dude
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My preparedness view is I want to preserve options.

·
Pincushion
278 Posts
Less than lethal for me is only when I'm not allowed to bring my gun. I almost always at least carry a knife.

·
Acme test pilot
24 Posts
I often Carrie a Kill light when i am prohibited from firearms but a mag light to the skull isnt realty non-lethal. Or at least my intention is to kill with it. I dont figure anyone would swing a baseball bat at your noggen without trying to kill you. any weapon = potentially deadly force with the exception of specialty crafted riot ballistic cartridges and stun guns. I have a few shot gun rounds hand loded with rock salt that may qualify but they are for large dogs. The only thing i can think of that i would consider purposefuly making to incapacitate a human would be a passively triggered trap like a trip wire initiated claymore mine with rubber bouncy balls instead of ball bearings. Other than that never think your using a submittal weapon if it isnt specifically made as one by the manufacturer. even then people die every year from stun guns. Cant you buy blunt rubber tips for arrows? 700 grain arrow going 400 feet per second is getting close to the same impact energy as a hand gun. even without piercing the body it could still fracture the skull or compress the chest wall and stop the heart. Nope if you reach for a weapon and you think it is a "safe" instrument you are only kidding yourself.

I have seen the mil spec rubber ball claymore used with great effect at US FOBs in Iraq as anti riot precautions. Very effective. Shouldn't be hard to reproduce a claymore with rubber bouncy balls.... hypothetically...im not saying i ever would.....yeah....um

On a completely unrelated topic anyone ever used the model rocket kits with the electric ignition switch they sell at walmart for 15 bucks? those are cool.

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
On a completely unrelated topic anyone ever used the model rocket kits with the electric ignition switch they sell at walmart for 15 bucks? those are cool.
very cool, bought a couple of the ones with the downward pointing camera for the extra-curricular 'science club' I supervise. IMO one reason the US is 'so far behind' in Science is because teachers at lower primary grades don't make it 'fun' & unfortunately I think it is a self-feeding loop of not properly understanding the material do to college professors not wanting to "waste time on education majors". :(

·
Family Friendly DJ
101 Posts
I have, and know how to use, a whip, does that count?

The fact that it makes a scary noise and is absolutely useless in any sort of combat means "less than lethal" to me. My wife once said "You could wrap it around someone's wrist and disarm them!" and I responded "Only if they hold their wrist away from their body, are at exactly the right distance, aren't moving AND I get an overlapping wrap rather than a temporary."

Similar problems apply to doing.. well.. anything else with a whip. Sounds scary, but really once your opponent gets over the fear the worst you can do is raise some welts or flay some flesh. Looks ugly, but won;t stop someone form getting you.

·
Zookeeper
145 Posts
I have a BB gun which is nice for detouring pesky dogs (dangerous dogs would get a larger caliber). But I couldn't see using it on a person. I also have bear spray.

I don't see a problem with having less-than-lethal options available. In a high-stress situations, tempers might flare and good people (that you know) might act stupid. Having a non lethal means to separate people in that situation might be good. Unless everyone else plans to start fist fights or has a personal bouncer. Hmmm, I kinda like the option of a personal bouncer. :p

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
TPR, I love the whip idea! lol Nothing like that good "crack" of leather to make people think "WTF???"

I have a blowgun from South America (as well as a plastic one). I guess I could look through my plant guides for our area and pick out the ones with "toxic" warnings and poison my darts! :D Oops, that's not "non-lethal"!

It's quiet, anyway!

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
Blowgun! I like that idea. :2thumb:

As well as being quiet it would be easy to conceal in a pant leg. There must be some kind of plant to use that would be less than lethal, if that's what you want. ;)

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
Blowgun! I like that idea. :2thumb:

As well as being quiet it would be easy to conceal in a pant leg. There must be some kind of plant to use that would be less than lethal, if that's what you want. ;)
True, there are probably some poisons that would just cause agony, and not kill.

But then what do I do with them?
:D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts