What kind of prepper are you??

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by Tirediron, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Tirediron

Tirediron RockyMountainCanadian

Are you going to gather up and store everything from the present "world" and try to keep it all working should SHTF ???
    Are you going to develop a self sufficient lifestyle that works with nature and it's cycles ??
    I have seen so many posts and ideas where everything is being done to just keep fighting nature after SHTF
    With what has been learned over the last 2 centuries life in co-operation with nature can be a lot easier
    If you haven't lived with a septic system for at least 10 years,there might be a few surprizes in a post SHTF world for you.
    Well water can become contaminated, especially the shallow wells
    If you don't already heat with wood it has afew surprizes for you
    Cars and trucks after SHTF , if you didn't or can't build it from a pile of parts things will be tough
    How many ways can you start a fire??
    Bicycles if you don't use one a lot now and aren't familiar with maintainance and repair....
    If you think you will survive by hunting wild game ,are you getting enough wild meat now with harvest controls??
    What kind of prepper are you??
    :scratch

2. jnrdesertrats

jnrdesertrats Noob

Well we live in about 800sq ft now. We are building a green house and I would like to take up bow hunting. Other than that it has been almost a year since we purchased meat from the grocery store.

3. ZoomZoom

ZoomZoom Rookie Prepper

The hardest part about living with mom-nature from the get-go is the size of the population for the initial period (let's say a year or 2). Too many people vying for the limited resources available in a given area.

4. Ron22

Ron22 Junior Member

The goal is to be more self-sufficient. I'm still active duty now, but I'm retiring the end of next year.

My plans for retirement include a large enough piece of property to have a garden, couple of horses, space to raise a calf for meat, maybe a pig or two. I've looked at plans for building a smokehouse so I can process my own meat. A root cellar for storing the harvest. Basically cut most of the ties with the grocery store. Some things will still be difficult to produce so I don't expect to completely cut those ties. Anything I think I really need that I can't produce myself, I'll plan on stocking up on are figuring out substitutes for.

I'll be taking up hunting and fishing again once I'm back in the states. I've missed it in the years I've been overseas. I've been looking into bow hunting also. My cousin is an avid bowhunter.

I think it would be very difficult in a worst case scenario to maintain "modern" life. In a worst case I agree... it's going to be very difficult for the first couple of years.

5. Magus

Magus Scavenger deluxe

Hmm.:scratch

The kind who owns weapons,maintains a few useful skills and stores a minimum supply of food,ammo,and some medical stuff.

6. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

I was born into a self sufficient lifestyle that works with nature and it's cycles ...

It works for me... hunting, fishing with a large garden then you toss in the critters.

And life goes on ...

7. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

We're the kind of preppers who are trying to be set up to not need to buy anything.

If you have animals for food...you have to have food for them. If I can't raise enough grain/veggies/hay/etc to feed those animals, then they're not part of my preps.

If I have a bicycle for transportation, once all my spare parts are gone, I'll be walking. That's fine with me.

We don't store large amounts of fuel. For one thing, if no one else has fuel, I'm sure not going to be dumb enough to go out and drive around and become a target. For another thing...where would I go? Nothing would be open!

If you rely on anything you can't produce, then you're not going to do well if the SHTF. Besides, so many people complain about life being boring or unsatisfactory now, and I wonder why they're working so hard to store things so they can keep living they way they are now? Most of you, however, seem to realize it will be different, and are ready to embrace the work.

Notice my new signature line? I borrowed it from something naekid said on one of his posts, worded something like that.

:)

8. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

I figure preparedness never stops. Even if I had millions of dollars, land and time, I'd still find gaps in preparedness, chinks in the armor.

9. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Ah...but the trick is to be able to prepare to survive anything...WITHOUT the money! Our income is waaaayyyy below poverty, but we're growing and doing so much stuff ourselves that I feel quite wealthy, actually!

But you're right, preparedness never stops. There should be a balance, though, between prepping and actually living our lives. Sometimes I feel guilty if we spend money on adventures, but I know it can't all be about buying preps/supplies.

10. optimist45

optimist45 Member

As a medium sized city deweller I am trying to do what I can to learn to be as self-sufficent as possible. But long ways to go. Compost was my first start, ripped out all landscape and planted vegetables and herbs. Many plants in buckets as well. Dabbling in solar - off grid. I now know how to can and make bread. Can grind wheat by hand (hard work). But I can't grow wheat - no room. I can cook from scratch and we limit eating out.

Had some old past skills that could be used again: sewing, husband used to hunt, made butter, have driven a tractor, can ride a bike quite well.

In December camping in bugout location and plan to start preparing for future exit plan. Natural foothill land with water but nothing else. Want to plant a few trees that hopefully won't be eaten, need a quote to drill a well, want to put a storage container there with tools. Have plans for a compost toliet but will build on next trip.

11. sinbad

sinbad Well-Known Member

So much urbanization where I live. I wish for a farm but cannot afford it. My goal is to build some store of supplies to help the family survive for a few days in case of a problem .

SHTF ?? Still not really sure the world will collapse.
    I think Y2k serves as a lesson that someone is not going to let EVERYTHING down the tubes. Many will survive, and I try to be among those .

Even if I am wrong, my powers and options are rather limited and I just do what I can do.
    :dunno:

12. WEcoyote

WEcoyote Acme test pilot

I prep for 60 days of forting up for 10 people or less
    then 400 LBS of seed and tools to start over so far into the woods no one will ever find me again

No solar
    No transportation
    Nothing you wouldn't find in an Amish settlement
    A total evacuation of any road surface within 20 miles

You may see me from the air but you will pay to dig me out.

Wile E Coyote

13. Tirediron

How is ACME gonna send your catalogue orders? :woohoo:

14. WEcoyote

WEcoyote Acme test pilot

the little guy on the scooter KNOWS

15. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

We do both; store as much as we can to help keep our present world going as long as possible and to transition to what may come. We are also taking steps to keep going if we should be catapulted back to the 19th century.

16. azurevirus

azurevirus Member

I prep pretty good..I went from a 1200sq ft house to a 625..my heat is currently electric which I hope to augment with LP and a small wood stove..I still buy extra foodstuffs and ammo..the only change in my preps over the last two yrs has been my firepower..I sold all my long range guns ak's and variants as I now live in a small town and I see no use for them anymore..I do have 12 ga pumps and s/a pistols ranging from 25 up to 45 caliber and a couple of 22 mag rifles..I went to "defensive firepower"...and if I have to BO I have a old 72 f250 with a 16' camper already loaded and plugged into house and heated so nothing freezes, extra propane tanks, and so much camping gear u wouldnt believe it..I call my camper BOV1..I even have BOB's in my camper..now if I could hook up some deepcycle batts in series and add a small generator to the bed of my truck..the camper could be a pretty good BOV..got to find someone that can do that electrical stuff..Im totally dumb on that

17. Tirediron

If you post a thread on the energy and electricity section with you Battery goal , we will be able to "talk" you thru that project :cool:

18. nj_m715

nj_m715 www.veggear.blogspot.com

I have a description w/ pics of how I added a couple batteries to my slide-in camper on my blog. They are charged with a couple solar panels and the alternator, but it won't drain the starting batteries for the truck. I can also "jumpstart" my truck from the camper if needed. If you have any questions about it, ask away and welcome to the group.

19. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

have you looked into vertical gardening?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

with limited water airponics is a better (but related) alternative method to traditional hydroponics

20. CulexPipiens

CulexPipiens Still waiting for the zombies.

Our approach is to look at a 6 month window. If we can make it through there then we should be able to utilize self sustaining practices after that. i.e. If SHTF in Novemeber, it would be April-May before I could reasonably expect to start harvesting veggies so we need enough canned and dried and etc.. to make it through.

In addition I've been adding as many books as I can on stuff that isn't going to be available unless you do it yourself. For example, there isn't a beer or cheese tree that you can just go pick from. If you want it you're going to have to know how or at least have some instructions on how to make it. We've been focusing on the more immediate needs (that 6 month window) but with the books planning for years 2, 3, and the rest of our lifes. When we can adequately provide all the basics then we can open up the library and start relearning the "lost knowledge".

Nothing is being done with the expectation of electricity or powered transportation post SHTF. The few electronics that are part of the plan will take common batteries with solar powered chargers... and even with this I only expect 2-3 years before the batteries go bad. So, to go along with the books, I'm looking at manual devices. Hand cranked grinders, manual tools, basically anything you don't need power to use it.

If it really is a permanent SHTF scenario (massive plague, war, EMP, asteroids, etc.) then I believe that past the 6 month hurdle, the consumible resources will long be used up and most people simply will have died off which opens up a lot of scavenging resources for those left. For example, if we're the only ones left alive in our area, then the surrounding homes are now raw material for anything I may need, of course stuff in them will be used too.

Stocking up on building supples and such doesn't seem useful, to me, as I can get that from the empty houses. And during that initial period the last thing I want is those left to see how "good" we're doing. Keep your head down and the lights off... and a few loaded weapons wouldn't hurt either. ;)

We already do rain collection and composting and gardening. I've got a lot of saved seeds and am always adding to that stock. A modest solar electric system (to run pumps and such) and a solar heating system (hot water and heat) is something I'm exploring. The one thing we don't have that we feel we will need is a good wood stove.

This all assumes we can either stay or return to our home. Having to permanently bug out adds a whole new set of challenges that we're addressing too.