What is the best survival book to have if you could only have one?

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by neil-v1, Jun 20, 2010.

1. neil-v1

neil-v1 Old Member

If you could only have one book on survival or for reasons unknown had to start your survival library again from scratch, what book would be the first or maybe the only book you would tell others not to dare go without?

2. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

"How to Survive Anything" by Christopher Nyerges

3. Magus

Magus Scavenger deluxe

Either Ragnar Benson's "How to stay alive in the woods" or the SAS survival manual.

4. Jerry D Young

Jerry D Young Well-Known Member

SAS Survival Handbook by John "Lofty" Wiseman.

5. GroovyMike

GroovyMike Well-Known Member

Always start with the Bible. No matter how long you are in your fall out shelter or deserted island - you will find something new there-in every time you read it, plus a multitude of practical tips for dealing with every situation. It is after all - the manufacturer's instruction book for this world.

6. Littlebit

Littlebit Well-Known Member

"Wielderness Medicine Beyond Frist Aid" Barns & Noble. And another good one to have is Peterson feild Guides "Medicinal Plants and herbs" Both have good info and pictures.:)

7. allen_idaho

allen_idaho Well-Known Member

Sure. Take the bible with you. Then you won't have to worry about surviving since your immortal soul will be saved and all....

At least you would have something to use as a fire starter. Unless holy words don't burn. Then you are just plain out of luck.

8. GroovyMike

Thanks for the opportunity to share this perfect example - in this situation, the Bible offers this lesson from the book of Acts. In chapter 13 verse 41 says:

" 'Look, you scoffers, wonder and perish, for I am going to do something in your days that you would never believe, even if someone told you.' "

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  9. Expeditioner

Expeditioner Well-Known Member

SAS Survival manual!!!!!

10. alanz

alanz Active Member

11. truthismyname33

truthismyname33 Member

es, the bible.........and No, "holy words" doesn't burn, but souls do! Some forever! Take heed unless you find yourself in the place where the "worm never dies", eh?

12. vn6869

vn6869 Afraid, very afraid

GroovyMike is right about the bible being very necessary.

But, my vote for short-term earthly survival goes to the Boy Scout manual, with second being the Wildfire series of books - these show how things were done before any grids.

13. allen_idaho

allen_idaho Well-Known Member

Thanks for the opportunity to share THIS perfect example. The question was about what survival book you would take with you if you could have only ONE.

But you would quite incompetently choose to take a bible along rather than something useful. So good luck with that. I know I wouldn't want to count on you in a survival situation. But to each his own.

14. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

vn6869, did you mean "Wildfire" books, or did you perhaps mean "Foxfire" books?

15. GroovyMike

I totally agree Allen. The original question asked which one book would "you" take, which means answer for yourself and thus to each their own. Since, I am reasonably certain that I know most of what is in the other books mentioned above, they are of far less value to me than God's instruction manual to Life. BTW, which book would you choose?

16. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

So...those with absolute, sincere faith in the Bible/God/Jesus will miraculously be given the knowledge of edible plants, primitive fire-making methods, how to make clothing from plants/animal skins, etc., all the skills needed to survive in a disaster/collapse/"insert other scenario"?

God also gave us the abilty and intelligence to study and learn. I think it honors Him when we do. The Bible says "seek ye FIRST the kingdom of God, and His righteousness, and all these things will be added unto you". The Bible is but a book, albeit a Holy book/guide book for those who believe in it. It's NOT the "kingdom of God". You carry that in your heart. If you're reading it and studying it like you're supposed to, you'll be carrying a lot of it in your heart as well. Granted, a lot of you would take great comfort to have it and be able to read it in a crisis.

But I'll take a good, all around book on how to survive (food, shelter, fire, medical, etc.) as my "first" to-grab or to-have book.

By the way, we just got "How to Survive The End of The World as We Know It" by James Wesley, Rawles. Looks like it might be pretty good, but I've just started paging through it and haven't read it.

17. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Could you please post the verses that tell us how to make fire? (other than God striking us with lightening!) And the verses that tell how to forage or hunt for food? The verses on medical/first aid instructions would be helpful too. Oh, and the verses explaining how to make clothes and shelters? I'd also like to see the ones on self-defense and security, and how to Can or dehydrate food, how to make candles and oil lamps or other lighting. I guess they must be in the Bible somewhere.

I know God gave the Israelites Manna to eat in the desert, by miraculous means, at least according to what is written in the Bible, and therefore could provide any of the things I listed.

If the Bible is the one/first book you consider most important as a survival book, that's great. I hope you are blessed because of your faith. If a how-to secular survival book is your choice, also great.

Meanwhile, we're all here because of a desire to keep learning.

18. truthismyname33

truthismyname33 Member

My CHOICE.....

The Creator Himself is described as a "consuming fire." (Dan. 4:24; Heb. 12:29)

Then Jesus said to his disciples: "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear.

Life is more than food, and the body more than clothes.

Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds!

Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?

Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest?

"Consider how the lilies grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these.

If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today, and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, how much more will he clothe you, O you of little faith!

And do not set your heart on what you will eat or drink; do not worry about it.

For the pagan world runs after all such things, and your Father knows that you need them.

But seek his kingdom, and these things will be given to you as well. :) (Luke 12: 22-32)

Now, that's my book, of my choosing, hence the O.P. question............and I'm sticking to it! Now, what's for you is for you, yes? But as for ME and MY HOUSE, we ain't leaving home without it!! My choice.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  19. truthismyname33

truthismyname33 Member

Please don't twist what I'm saying either......I'm NOT saying that God is telling me to sit here and twist my hand, pull out my hair and "do" nothing, no! I have children!! Babies!

It was a basic question: What is the best survival book to have if you could only have one. That's it, that's all. This doesn't have to be the same for everyone. Again..there's no right and wrong answers here. :)