What I just learned from a plumber.

Discussion in 'General Homesteading & Building' started by SurviveNthrive, Nov 8, 2010.

1. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

He's here right now, it's going to run $400 for everything that has to be done. It's frustrating because I don't have the tools and the know how for the major problem, and plumbing isn't exactly foreign to me and this is apparently a matter of decades of use finally causing a problem.

What I learned with garbage disposals is don't ever allow PASTA, RICE and/or GREASE to get down them. The grease is inadvertent, but the PASTA and RICE I did not know about, heck, I've seen them shove a tree limb in some garbage disposals.

The plumbers who did the work and gave estimates all said the same thing-don't use Liquid Plumber, it might loosen the clog just enough to give you a really, really bad problem.

What Not to Put in a Garbage Disposal
    From Stephen Hallo III, former About.com Guide

What Not to Put in a Garbage Disposal

Throughout the ages, people have used the garbage disposal to rid the kitchen of slimy, sticky and stinky things. Well not really throughout the ages, just since its invention in 1927. Since that exciting day, the garbage disposal has become an appliance of legend and wonder. Despite what you may have heard, not everything can go into a garbage disposal. It’s called a garbage disposal, not an in-sink trash can. Here is a list of common items that should never be put into a disposal unit:

Rice and pasta- No matter how much water you run or how long you run the appliance, you can never break rice or pasta down small enough. Both items swell when they are in contact with water, so the small pieces will eventually gather in the trap and swell until it is closed.

Animal bones- The garbage disposal is just not strong enough to break these down small enough to fit through. Animal bones are the most common thing that jams disposals.

Grease- The grease will eventually solidify and clog a portion, or all, of your drain.

Egg shells- Despite what you may have heard, egg shells do not sharpen disposal blades. I’m not even sure how someone would think that would work.

Mostly they just end up clogging the line.

Any kind of stringy or tough-peeled vegetable- This includes asparagus, lettuce, celery and potato peels. Maybe in a small amount the disposal can handle it, but I wouldn’t try it.

The old adage of “less is more” definitely applies to the garbage disposal. Only small amounts of table scraps should go into the disposal. If you find that something from the above list has jammed your disposal it’s a relatively easy process to unjam it.

What's safe to put down a garbage disposal?

Water.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  2. mosquitomountainman

mosquitomountainman I invented the internet. :rofl:

We have chickens, a dog, cat and goat for our garbage disposals. If they won't eat it it goes to compost pile.

Seriously, one of the reasons we live like we do is because I got tired of fixing all those labor saving conveniences we used to have. If I could figure out how to get by without the vehicles they'd be gone too. :gaah:

3. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

we don't waste food like that in this house... ;)

4. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

Yep.
    Between us, the dogs, cats, horses, goats and chickens, food is never pitched. Eggshell goes directly into one of the gardens and gets tilled under in spring and fall.

5. OldCootHillbilly

OldCootHillbilly Reverend Coot

Used ta work on the commercial ones, be why we ain't got one!:gaah:

Sorry bout the troubles there survive, stinks an dang plumbers er expensive!

6. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

It's good to know...now...passing it on to help others.

7. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

If the critters won't eat it, it goes in the compost. Waste not, want not.

8. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

Our disposal empties right out into the front veggie garden with the sink water, it gets stopped up occasionally but not much and easy to unstop. The chickens think it's payday when they hear the disposal come on.

9. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Absolutely! Our way of doing things, exactly!

:D

10. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

:lolsmash: :lolsmash: That's funny!!! It's also a great idea!

Our washing machine water makes it's way into the lower end of the lower garden.

11. dawnwinds58

dawnwinds58 The Kentucky Lairkeeper

Send it down the food chain!

Please remember when feeding livestock there are some things you don't want to put in some animals. Bones cooked, can splinter and shard. This can kill dogs, cats, chickens, ducks, and pigs. Anything with yeast or baking powder can hurt dogs and horses. Chocolate is toxic to dogs and can cause colic in horses. Think about what is proper diet for each animal, what they pick on their own. Corn is not the end all to feed and has little nutrition though many calories; cornmeal for humans can swell and bust a gut or gizzard easily is you have a piggy hen or goose, even rice and raw pasta can do this. We don't waste anything, all veggie trimmings go to chickens and geese; all meat trimmings to dogs. Some people around here will call us when they see a deer freshly dead on the road. It becomes Rat Terrier food in a heartbeat, and they love it. Broken egg shell and coffee grounds can save your tomatos. The grounds make the soil acidic and the shells help prevent blossom end rot.
    Always find a place to send it, rather than waste it.

12. pdx210

pdx210 Well-Known Member

i put these down the disposal all the time but not large helpings just bits off a plate. The way to keep your disposal heath is run a cup or two of ice cubs through the thing every month

13. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

Dude says that this stuff adds up over time, even decades. I estimate this took since the late 1980's to accummulate in the pipes.

I'm not even going to let that place residue get in there. I ain't going to be paying for this in 2032!

14. pdx210

pdx210 Well-Known Member

Humm..... I've never had problems with clogged pipes but i don't dump cooking oil down the sink or run lots of stuff down the disposal.

15. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

Neither did anyone in this house, since like 1986!

Until last week.

16. nj_m715

nj_m715 www.veggear.blogspot.com

Just watch out for the mother bear, their don't to have their young frozen and stuffed down a disposal. :D

17. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

Great catch, funny typo!

I needed a good laugh and that was one.

:congrat:

18. nj_m715

nj_m715 www.veggear.blogspot.com

I feel like I'm the pot calling the kettle black. Spelling is not one of my strengths, but it was the first thing that popped into my head when I read it.

I'm sure I'll leave the door open for pdx to get me back.

19. pdx210

pdx210 Well-Known Member

lol...

i have auto spell check on the apple and obviously i don't often catch the typos:gaah:

20. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

I honestly never knew that about the egg shells. I eat around a dozen egg whites a week and always just pitched the shells and yolks. They'll be on the pile from now on.