What Happened to the Blue Bucket Liner Bags

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by BobR1, Jan 12, 2011.

1. BobR1

BobR1 Well-Known Member

Back during Y2K everyone we know that put any food back in 5 gallon buckets used a Blue Bag that was on a roll as a bucket liner. They are 20" wide X 25" Tall, with a pleat in the sides for expansion. We tied them off with waxed nylon string.
    Flash forward to 2011, and all I can find is expensive Mylar Bags, which are not needed for lots of things we store.

Does anyone have a source?

2. BobR1

BobR1 Well-Known Member

Thanks
    I believe those are what I am looking for. They look to be clear instead of Medium Blue. Not a big issue.

Thanks Again

3. OldCootHillbilly

OldCootHillbilly Reverend Coot

Yer more en welcome, glad ta help.

4. BobR1

BobR1 Well-Known Member

The wife and I like the old plastic bucket liners for buckets we are using out of all the time. We have Gamma Seal Lids on all the buckets also. These bags tie off well with string.
    NOTE: We are not at the moment doing any amount of long term storage. We just store what we are using in 5 gallon buckets.
    We work on the idea of store what you use, and use what you store.

We keep Flour, Sugar, Red Beans, Brown Beans, Homany Flakes, Rice, Oatmeal, Salt, Baking Soda, and Corn Starch in buckets.
    The wife keeps her Macaroni, noodles, etc in glass jars. They are decorative, and easy to see what you have, and how much.

We do a little Rendezvousing with a Muzzle Loader Club, and I do a little leather work on our gear. Sewing is mostly done with artificial senew, which we keep a few rolls of in my leather box. This is simply Waxed Nylon. It works well for tieing off the bags, and does not seem to come loose over time just tied in a bow that you can get undone without damaging the bag. It also works for lots of other things. Pretty handy and strong stuff to have around.

5. OldCootHillbilly

Sounds good.

We go to a few rondevous, don't participate (yet), but enjoy em. Always interestin ta see how things was back then. A good learnin experience as well.

Always good when the wife has the same idears as yall do. Makes the job lots easier.

6. BobR1

BobR1 Well-Known Member

When you are into living history, you can learn a lot, and you are more than politically correct doing it. You are now helping to preserve history by learning survival skills. You can use that Dutch Oven you have stashed in the basement. Then if you ever really need it, you know how to use it without any surprises.

7. OldCootHillbilly

Lots a good stuff in the old ways. So much a it bein lost casuse folks wan't the easy way a life. Nobody figures it could ever suddenly stop. Not necessarily world wide, but just a local disaster. Lets use a tornado as a example, power gonna be gone, ya may a lost yer house er it's damaged, now what ya gonna do?

Well, if the motorhome survived that be our new temporary residence, if not, there be the tent an all the outdoor gear we got as well as the food. Were gonna be roughin it fer a spell. Nothin wrong with that either, ya do what ya gotta do ta get buy. Most folks gonna be lookin fer a motel. I worked in them fer years, just as soon not stay there!

Sides, it be enjoyable ta me ta study an learn the old ways, I like keepin em alive an passin em on ta my boys an grandkids. Ya never know when the info will help. The oldest boy uses allota it even taday overseas in Afghanistan.