What food products will you miss?

Discussion in 'General Food and Foraging Discussion' started by Turtle, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Turtle

Turtle Well-Known Member

The thought occured to me earlier this morning that if we begin a list of things that we would miss if world-wide shipping of foodstuffs were not feasible, perhaps we could all put our heads together and find a solution. This way, we would not have to go without things that we thoroughly enjoy.

For instance, I know I will miss my cookies and cream ice cream; I know that there are methods of making ice cream, I am just not familiar with them. Is there something that you would miss that you have not yet figured out how to make/replicate/simulate?

2. OldCootHillbilly

OldCootHillbilly Reverend Coot

My mornin cup a mud. Coffee beans ain't gonna do real good round here. I been stockpilin, but in a real long term oops, it only gonna last so long.

3. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

mix it with chicory to make it last longer, or is that a sin? ;)

4. OldCootHillbilly

OldCootHillbilly Reverend Coot

Yeah, that can be done to, also add in a shot a whiskey but that might make it go faster!:rolleyes:

5. Immolatus

Immolatus Just getting started. Always.

I am also a sugar junkie. Cookies. They will be sorely missed. I haved stored some sugar, but straight sugar is not the same, and I dount I'll be eating spoons of sugar. My spearmint is pretty darned sweet and doesnt need any sweetener, but it just wont be the same.

6. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

Coffee. I could do without junk food, sweets, etc. I am a coffee junkie and always will be as long as I can get it.

7. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

Ice Cream is pretty easy to make. I do it often. Sugar, cream, a few eggs and whatever flavoring you like. Personally, my favorite is chocolate-peanut butter. I mix a runny paste of unsweetened cocoa, sugar and water. Cook this on the stove. after it comes to a boil, add a couple tablespoons of P-B, let it melt and pour it into the freezer with the cream mixture. Even in a grid-down situation, you can always use a hand-crank freezer. Just don't forget to have a good supply of rock salt on hand.

But to answer the question; Hershey's dark chocolate bars. Right now I buy a few now and then, vacuum pack them and store them in a metal tin. I don't yet know how well they keep. I just started doing it last fall.

8. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

I hate it when this comes up ... :gaah:

I feel like the odd person out ... :cry:

Coffee what ever ... chocolate about the same ... if I have a chocolate bar a year I'm good...

I don't care for cookies, cakes or pies ... :confused:

What can I say ... :dunno:

9. Turtle

Turtle Well-Known Member

Well, I am certainly with you guys on the coffee issue. It occured to me this morning that I will need to get a hold of some tea to grow, as that's the next best thing to me. Chicory just won't cut it.

Thanks, Uncle Joe, for the ice cream pointers!

10. Jerry D Young

Jerry D Young Well-Known Member

Bananas, chocolate, tea

11. weedygarden

weedygarden Well-Known Member

In any of these, I try to think of the alternatives, or the preps. I know people who have quite a stash of candy. They shop after any holiday when it is reduced. I have personally gotten some super deals after Christmas.

I wonder about growing tea. Herbs could be grown for herb tea. . But then there is the real tea. Does anyone grow their own?

Bananas: the only thing I can come up with is dehydrate/dried banana chips. I know, not like peeling and eating a banana, but dried could be reconstituted and used for banana bread.

What will I miss? I love fresh fruits and vegetables. I grew up with mostly canned stuff, but I don't really care for it as much as the fresh stuff. I love having fresh salads. I have a garden and can grow some of my own stuff in the summer, but I fear that I am greatly ill prepared for growing year long and adequate amounts for a full year.

12. PamsPride

PamsPride edirPsmaP

Ummm let me think...EVERYTHING! Yep! I will miss ALL the food that I currently buy and eat! I will miss cheese slices, and frosted mini wheat cereal...heck all kinds of cereal...smoothie drinks, junk food, seasonings...and most of all mayo!!!

13. Turtle

Turtle Well-Known Member

Yeah, that was my thought, as well, Weedy. I can't imagine that growing real tea would be terribly difficult or vastly different than growing other herbs, would it?

I tend to have the same fear: can I grow enough to supply my wife and myself with food for a year, especially on short notice? Okay, obviously not on short notice, hence why it is wise to wean one's self off of grocery store dependance, but that simply isn't an option for me right now.

14. RevWC

RevWC The Future?

:beercheer: Beer :beercheer:

15. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

That's my number one concern. I need coffee to live.

16. tsrwivey

tsrwivey Supporting Member

Dr. Pepper in a styrofoam cup with ice from Sonic. Cheesecake. soft serve ice cream dipped in chocolate.

17. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

Chap stick still tops my list of things I would surely miss! lol but if you are looking for real tea plants the latin name is "Camellia sinensis" and is a very tender(I think) perennial that grows in warmer climates than ours.. but one bush in my house next to the orange, lemon and key lime would make me happy.
    as for mayo-if you have eggs and oil and a bit of mustard and a bit of vinegar(or lemon/lime juice) you can make mayo or with olive oil aioli(Italian mayo) When I run out at home and need some but too lazy to go to store I just whip some up.. in fact boychild likes it better than store bought.

But man, chocolate is something I would sorely miss. Bananas there is a plant around here that is called Paw paw and it is like a custardy banana. I have been trying to grow them but something around here loves the tiny plants so I may have to just break down and buy a big one from the nursery.

18. woodsman23

woodsman23 Well-Known Member

Crab legs, lobster, scallops...................:surrender:

19. goshengirl

goshengirl Supporting Member

Diet Pepsi / Diet Dr. Pepper :cool:

20. catsraven

catsraven Meoww

CHOCOLATE LOL.

Most of the stuff listed can be made.