Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(CNSNews.com) - Representative Michael Burgess (R-Texas) told CNSNews.com that if the mandate in the health care law requiring individuals to purchase health insurance or be penalized is upheld by the courts, the federal government could mandate anything, such as requiring all Americans to purchase a General Motors car.

On Capitol Hill, CNSNews.com asked Representative Burgess, "The Congressional Budget Office has said that never before in the history of the United States has the federal government mandated that any one buy a specific good or service and, of course, the bill includes the individual mandate. Is there a part of the Constitution that you think gives Congress the authority to mandate individuals to purchase health insurance?"

Representative Burgess, himself a doctor, said, "No, I personally do not, and I think that is exactly right. Never before in the history of this country have we had the ability to coerce American citizens to purchase something and then invoke the Commerce clause after we coerce that purchase."

"It just flies in the face of what a free society should be, so I'm perfectly comfortable with the attorneys general bringing suit against this bill," said Burgess. "I think it's the appropriate thing to do. Plus, you also have the equal-protection business of some states being more equal than others and, really, it should be equals among equals, not some states getting special deals to buy off a vote to get the bill passed."

CNSNews.com also asked Burgess, "If the federal government mandates that you have to purchase health insurance, is there any legal commodity that the federal government cannot require individuals to purchase?"

A little speculative, but...:scratch :dunno:

CNSNews.com - Rep. Burgess: Government Can Force Us to Buy General Motors Products If Obamacare Mandate Upheld in Court

·
The Skeptic
280 Posts
I guess when I look at car insurance, and health insurance, I think the gov's view of it is that they don't want anyone to have an excuse for not being able to pay if they got in an accident.

Medicine isn't cheap, surgery isn't easy, years of practice and advice is even rarer.

·
I invented the internet. :rofl:
3,698 Posts
I guess when I look at car insurance, and health insurance, I think the gov's view of it is that they don't want anyone to have an excuse for not being able to pay if they got in an accident.

Medicine isn't cheap, surgery isn't easy, years of practice and advice is even rarer.
The difference is that you don't have to drive or own a car. What really gets my goat is when they say they've provided health care for the uninsured. How, by mandating that the uninsured purchase insurance? The only thing the gov't. provided was the clout of the IRS to enforce it. Does the IRS tax you if you don't have auto insurance? Around here the first offense (for driving without insurance) is a $200.00 fine. With the IRS you'll forfeit your home, business, savings or checking account(s) and perhaps even be sent to prison.

And, where will the line be drawn? What's next?

·
3,698 Posts

I just can't imagine how there are people who don't see anything wrong with the whole idea of the gov't. forcing people to purchasse insurance? It's one of those things that you shouldn't have to explain what's wrong with it!!!!!!!!!

·
Tannerite goes boom!
15 Posts
Actually (at least here in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania) Automobile insurance IS NOT REQUIRED with a stipulation.... You give the Commonwealth a check for $50,000.00 and they will issue a INSURANCE CERTIFICATE OF SELF INSURED. Just found this out last week.

Anyone have an extra $50,000.00 lying around??

·
Pincushion
278 Posts
I don't think they are mandating that we buy vaseline in the new health care law, but they are strongly encouraging it.:dunno:

·
The Skeptic
280 Posts
The difference is that you don't have to drive or own a car. What really gets my goat is when they say they've provided health care for the uninsured. How, by mandating that the uninsured purchase insurance? The only thing the gov't. provided was the clout of the IRS to enforce it. Does the IRS tax you if you don't have auto insurance? Around here the first offense (for driving without insurance) is a $200.00 fine. With the IRS you'll forfeit your home, business, savings or checking account(s) and perhaps even be sent to prison.

And, where will the line be drawn? What's next?
well there would have been a public option that would cover this but those demoncrats were trying to satiate the republicants desire to water down anything they put forth

if there was a case where someone was about to be sent to prison for this don't you think the judiciary would strike down that ruling as it would not be inline with the spirit of the bill?

·
3,698 Posts
well there would have been a public option that would cover this but those demoncrats were trying to satiate the republicants desire to water down anything they put forth...
What public option? So it somehow would have been better to require people to buy insurance from a gov't. run program? And what guarantees do we have that it wouldn't have been any better than the private insurers? If the feds truly wanted insurance for everyone why not just expand medicare/medicaid to everyone and require all politicians and gov't. employees to use the same health plan?

Weren't the demorats bragging that they passed the "health care reform" over republirat objections? How could anyone believe that the public option was ruled out due to republirat influence? That's just a denial of reality.

·
3,698 Posts
...if there was a case where someone was about to be sent to prison for this don't you think the judiciary would strike down that ruling as it would not be inline with the spirit of the bill?
That's funny! ROFL!

The "spirit" of the bill is that you will comply or face fines and penalties, loss of property, and prison if you don't comply. If they didn't want the power of the IRS why would they put it in there? Think about it. The reason for the penalties is that EVERYONE must comply!!! How can it be universal health coverage if everyone doesn't comply? This is just another tax. We are all being taxed for health care. It's a government requirement that you purchase health care. The only difference is that you're allowed - No, FORCED, COMPELLED, COERCED -- to pay this tax to insurance companies or face the IRS directly. The "spirit" of the bill is that "we" (Obama and the demorats in power) are doing this for your own good and the good of the country and you will comply or lose your home, savings and/or go to jail.

If they were only interested in making insurance available to all (note; there's nothing about making it affordable) the restrictions on insurance companies would have been enough. But it isn't about availablility and personal choice. The "spirit" of the bill is forced compliance. And what better organization to do that than the IRS?

·
Comic Relief Member
980 Posts
The thing that really raises my blood pressure is the fact that members of Congress and the Senate are exempt from any laws that they pass. They can pass all of the stupid laws they want and they don't have to suffer the consequences. :mad:

·
58 Posts
I know you don't like religious post but here is where we are headed.

Rev 13:16 And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:
Rev 13:17 And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
Rev 13:18 Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number [is] Six hundred threescore [and] six.

This is where we are headed. Think about it the goverment owns everything. Mortgage industry, car industry, banking industry, healthcare industry and food industry. The money system will soon be done away with. One day you will hear you must be microchipped because your money is worthless. You cannot buy or sell without this implant. You may think this can't happen but look at how far America has changed. Bush Sr. warned us on September 11, 1990 about the NWO. Eleven years later his son was dealing with 9/11. Not a coincidence at all. This was all planned.

Your televisions with the special box which was announced government mandate to have this special box. Why does the government care about your television. We use it mainly for entertainment, right? Your cars are chipped, cell phones chipped, pets chipped, televisions, and soon enough people will be chipped. Something to seriously think about. I myself believe what the bible foretells of this day and age. I will not allow myself to take this mark!

·
Comic Relief Member
980 Posts
I know you don't like religious post but here is where we are headed.
I like religious posts. Feel free to talk to me anytime. :)

As far as what else we will be mandated to buy... probably a pig in a poke!;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts