What does SHTF mean to you?

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by GatorDude, Aug 19, 2009.

1. GatorDude

GatorDude Well-Known Member

We don't need to literally spell it out, but when you plan for a SHTF scenario what do you envision? Civil unrest, natural disaster, etc.?

2. Canadian

Canadian Well-Known Member

An economic collapse followed by massive looting and rioting.

3. OldFashionedMama

OldFashionedMama Partyin' like it's 1699

Ditto what Canadian said....oh crap-I live in Youngstown Ohio, where all of those things are currently happening! I guess I'd have to add natural disaster to the mix as well...

4. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

That pretty much says it all.

5. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

Un-natural disaster is on my list. To me a "natural disaster" is mother nature reminding us of her power. Mother nature is our teacher - she is fair but firm. She gives us life and she takes it away just as easily - without prejudice.

What I am preparing for is those man-made disasters that really ruin everyone's day. Power outage. Planes falling from the sky. Trains falling over and spilling their hazardous loads. Test-tube disease. That kind of stuff.

6. OldFashionedMama

OldFashionedMama Partyin' like it's 1699

I just read a story about the growing polio problem in Nigeria. The reason? They still give the oral polio vaccine there, which is well known to actually cause the disease because it uses the LIVE VIRUS. Now the virus, according to the WHO, has mutated and is more difficult to treat than the natural virus. Lack of sanitation is also a factor, as vaccinated people are actually contagious for a short period of time after recieving the dose, a phenomenon known as "shedding". Contaminated waste from vaccinated people gets into the water supply, infecting others who have not been vaccinated or otherwise exposed to the virus. The WHO admits that they have no idea on how to stop the spread of this current polio strain in Nigeria. Scary stuff...

7. rainygardener

rainygardener Member

SHTF to me is an economic depression where we have no money to pay the morgage or untilities.
    Grandma and Dad always told me stories about the 30's, so it stuck in my head. Also, I visited London and went the the war museums, OK war and hunger, devistation, Blitz, that is serious SHTF. That must have been horrible.

8. youpock

youpock Well-Known Member

economic collapse and/or nuclear fallout or equivalent attack

9. allen_idaho

allen_idaho Well-Known Member

I live in northern Idaho, relatively protected from a lot of disasters that plague other parts of the country. In my location, I could probably envision the following SHTF scenarios:

- Peak Oil
    - Economic Collapse
    - Yellowstone Caldera Eruption
    - Viral Pandemic (Swine Flu, I'm looking at you).
    - Ice Age
    - Zombies. (Ok, I'm not really worried about that one).

I also have the risk of floods and fires, but not as much as other areas. We have had floods in the past but it pretty much only affects my pasture land and not the land my home is on.

10. josh302

josh302 Member

a really good forum

11. sinbad

sinbad Well-Known Member

Yeah, whatever causes it. Whether it be economic collapse or some court decision or whatever. It is scary for city dwellers like me.

12. rmarlin

rmarlin New Member

13. Von Helman

Von Helman A very simple man

Not having American Idol and Jon & Kate plus 8 and that’s a real SHTF situation for many! :D

14. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

WHAT?! No American Idol? Well... as long as we still have Dancing with the Stars. :rolleyes:

15. allen_idaho

I'm willing to bet we would at least have some version of "I'm a celebrity, get me out of here!" But probably with more screaming and choking.

16. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

That makes me think of a great story - part of the Bachman Books - The Running Man (which was turned into a movie starring Arnold Schwarzenegger) that was written by Stephen King under the pseudonym of Richard Bachman.

If you haven't read the story - it is amazing - better than the movie even though the movie was great!

17. allen_idaho

Yeah, I've read it. I agree. It was a pretty good book. I've read most of Stephen King's stuff. Even the unbelievably long Dark Tower series.

18. Skeeter

Skeeter Well-Known Member

Any situation where someone thinks they want my "stuff" more than I do.

19. NoSweat88

NoSweat88 Member

I just stumbled on this thread and I know it's kind of old, but it raises an issue I have a question about.

What benchmarks or sources of information do you use to determine the stability of the old US of A? Stock Market...Gold Prices...Unemployment Figures???? or something less well known, but less able to be spun by the gov't.

I heard of one person who uses the sales figures for diesel fuel as one of his gauges of things...makes sense to know how good the trucking industry and the rail industry is as they move the vast majority of goods.

All in All....I don't trust a lot of the Govt's numbers...geez, they were celebrating today because the unemployment rate went UP and the explanations were the most STUPID I have ever heard. Come on guys...give us a little credit!!!

What do you use that the Average Joe may not have heard of....and why?...and where do you get them?

Thanks for the responses.

NoSweat88

20. sinbad

sinbad Well-Known Member

Moving my post to a separate thread.

Last edited: May 8, 2010