What does a tin foil hat news site think of FD Thrive products?

Discussion in 'General Food and Foraging Discussion' started by Woody, Oct 5, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Woody

Woody Woodchuck

Costco will sell you and apocalyptic year’s worth of disgusting food for $800

Costco Will Sell You an Apocalyptic Year's Worth of Disgusting Food for $800 - BlackListed News

I bet they never even tried any before, just took the whole TVP thing and made up a story. I will admit I have never personally tried any either, just have a lot of it! I have taken some flak from folks about this. “What if it tastes like crap?” Well, it will taste a lot better than the alternative!

The great news is for $800 (less than $10/can) this is a pretty good deal. I took to creating my own menus, according to my tastes and requirements and it cost me a whole lot more! I concentrated on fruits, dairy and meats (not TVP) because I have a garden and can supplement the vegetables. I did purchase several cases of vegetables, taters and beans though, in case they are needed to hold me over until I can get a crop harvested. I did not catch anywhere the mention you will need a grain mill for the winter wheat. Perhaps just boil it until tender?

This THRIVE 1 Year 1 Person Food Storage package contains 84 #10 (gallon size) cans. See below for specific package contents.
    Grains
    • 8 Cans of Instant White Rice (48 servings per can)
    • 12 Cans of Hard White Winter Wheat (44 servings per can)
    • 3 Cans of 6 Grain Pancake Mix (50 servings per can)
    • 2 Cans of Elbow Macaroni (45 servings per can)
    Vegetables
    • 6 Cans of Dehydrated Potato Chunks (42 servings per can)
    • 1 Can of Freeze-Dried Sweet Corn (46 servings per can)
    • 1 Can of Freeze-Dried Green Peas (41 servings per can)
    • 1 Cans of Dehydrated Chopped Onions (45 servings per can)
    • 1 Can of Freeze-Dried Mushroom Pieces (48 servings per can)
    • 1 Can of Freeze-Dried Broccoli (47 servings per can)
    Fruits
    • 2 Cans of Organic Apple Slices (48 servings per can)
    • 2 Cans of Freeze-Dried Strawberries (45 servings per can)
    • 1 Can of Freeze-Dried Blueberries (50 servings per can)
    • 1 Can of Freeze-Dried Blackberries (49 servings per can)
    • 2 Cans of Freeze-Dried Raspberries (48 servings per can)
    Dairy
    • 6 Cans of Powdered Milk (43 servings per can)
    • 3 Cans of Chocolate Drink Mix (48 servings per can)
    Proteins/Beans
    The taste and texture of TVP (Textured Vegetable Protein) is consistent with real meat, making it a great addition to vegetarian diets
    • 3 Cans of Bacon TVP (47 servings per can)
    • 3 Cans of Beef TVP (44 servings per can)
    • 3 Cans of Chicken TVP (45 servings per can)
    • 2 Cans of Taco TVP (42 servings per can)
    • 6 Cans of Pinto Beans (49 servings per can)
    • 1 Can of Black Beans (49 servings per can)
    • 2 Cans of Lima Beans (49 servings per can)
    • 3 Cans of Lentils (52 servings per can)
    • 6 Cans of Whole Eggs (236 servings per can)
    Cooking Basics
    • 2 Cans of White Sugar (46 servings per can)

2. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

A year's worth of food, all packaged for long-term storage, for $800? Seems pretty good to me. Reading down the list it looks like you could make good meals with this stuff. Most of the freeze-dried #10 can food I've eaten is okay.

But then I was one of those who actually enjoyed cafeteria food in school... :)

3. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

:eek:

Say it is not true ... You enjoyed cafeteria food in school ... :D (sorry)

I bet the same folks that gives you flak will think different if they have to knock on your door if the :shtf:

4. Murph

Murph Member

What is funniest to me...

All the ads on the page are geard towards preppers. Physical Gold, non-GMO seeds, hemp fiber/plants (the legal kind?) and Berkey Water filters. Seems at least the advertisers know who is going to look at that page and what they will gain from the content. :D

5. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

to the article's author... laugh it up, city slicker :congrat: now here's YOUR sign :nuts:

6. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

trying to sell the SAME thing on Amazon for $1200

for $800 I'm tempted to get one & try it out... if I'm not thoroughly disgusted in a month, maybe I'll order a couple more :nuts:

7. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Well, I have to admit, when I was in 10th grade I was in a new school and they had really good food compared to my old school. So my last three years of school weren't the culinary nightmare of most school lunches!

Regarding costco and their food storage stuff...back in the spring I ordered their case of open-pollinated garden seed that is packed for long-term storage. I haven't opened it and planted any of it, but I spent quite a while on seed websites making a similar list of the types of seed and how many ounces, and none of them were as cheap, and those were hybrid.

Most of what I plant is from seed I save myself, but I feel good knowing I have this case from Costco stashed away in my root cellar at a steady cool temperature...just in case.

8. mdprepper

mdprepper I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...

I have TVP and use it frequently. In my area, I can only find plain/unflavored TVP. If I want it to have beef flavor I just re-hydrate it with beef stock. Most of the time I just toss it in what ever sauce I am making and it taste just fine. Taco filling, spaghetti w/"meat" sauce, in a brown gravy over egg noodles, chili, as a stretcher for meatloaf or meatballs, the list goes on. Try your TVP now so you are used to it and can know all the ways to use it before you need it.

9. mdprepper

Found this at Sams Club for $674 (didn't check on shipping costs) when I get home tonight I will have to see how it compares to the one from Costco (amounts, etc) But this one does come with a Wheat Grinder.

Sam's Club-Augason Farms

Augason Farms™ Food Storage One Year Kit includes all the food nutrition for one person for a full year. The kit includes a wheat grinder and a total of 78 #10 (institutional size) cans, which are:
    3 Long Grain White Rice (47 servings per can)
    9 Hard White Wheat (54 servings per can)
    3 Spaghetti (25 servings per can)
    6 Dehydrated Potato Dices (22 servings per can)
    3 Freeze Dried Sweet Corn (15 servings per can)
    3 Freeze Dried Sweet Peas (13 servings per can)
    3 Dehydrated Chopped Onions (653 servings per can)
    1 Dehydrated Green Beans (24 servings per can)
    1 Freeze Dried Broccoli Florets & Stems (20 servings per can)
    3 Freeze Dried Apple Dices (11 servings per can)
    3 Freeze Dried Whole Strawberries (22 servings per can)
    1 Freeze Dried Whole Raspberries (20 servings per can)
    3 Honey Coated Banana Slices (21 servings per can)
    3 100% Country Fresh Instant Milk (39 servings per can)
    3 Chocolate Morning Moo’s® Low Fat Milk Alternative (61 servings per can)
    3 Cheese Blend Powder (45 servings per can)
    6 Vegetarian Meat Substitute Bacon (flavored) (188 servings per can)
    3 Vegetarian Meat Substitute Beef (flavored) (40 servings per can)
    3 Vegetarian Meat Substitute Chicken (flavored) (45 servings per can)
    3 Vegetarian Meat Substitute Taco (flavored) (33 servings per can)
    3 Pinto Beans (47 servings per can)
    3 Lentils (49 servings per can)
    3 Dried Whole Eggs (56 servings per can)

Sealed #10 cans containing oxygen absorbers are the most effective long-term method of controlling the deteriorating effects of light, moisture and oxygen.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  10. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

That's a better deal even with shipping than Costco. Actually a little better mix of foods.
    By the way I have eaten all of the different flavors of TVP, if you mix it with any sauce most can't tell it isn't meat.

11. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

I went to a couple of the different two room schools in the area and the cook for both(we were bussed from one to the other) was my neighbor and she was the best darned cook in the county! We had regular meals and on the holidays she went all out and gave us the real deal- turkey with all the trimmings and ham with all the fixen's etc... I sure missed that after going to middle and high school!:(

12. mdprepper

When my daughter decided she wanted a "soup and sandwich" birthday party one of the things I made was chili, I only used TVP in it and no one could tell the difference.:2thumb:

13. SaskBound

SaskBound Well-Known Member

I've taste-tested a few types of dehydrated and/or freeze-dried fruit and veggies...even some of the Thrive brand. I've been quite satisfied, so far. The only odd one was the dehydrated celery - it has a different consistency (spongy), but it's hardly noticeable when it's in soup or spaghetti sauce. I haven't tried TVP yet, though. I can eat vegetarian without tofu, don't see much need for TVP around our place...

14. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

That article was pretty condescending.

15. mdprepper

Just checked on this again. The cost is now $879.:eek::eek::eek: Price increase of $205 in 3 months. WOW!!!!!!

Off to see if Costco had an increase.**** Yep, Costco went to $999.99 for their kit. $199.99 increase in the same 3 month period.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  16. mdprepper

Update:

Sams cost is now $949 for the same package. Increase of $60 in 10 days....

Costco does not have the year supply offered on their site now, they only have a six month supply available. So you would have to buy 2 at $549.99 for a total of $1099.98 for an increase of $100 in 10 days.

17. vn6869

vn6869 Afraid, very afraid

:D
    And for those who haven't fiqured it out -FOOD PRICES ARE GOING UP! ;)
    But I do believe most on these boards already knew that didn't we :D

18. goshengirl

goshengirl Supporting Member

While inflation has a role in the price increases, I'm betting that it's the increased market that's the most significant reason. More people are prepping. So they charge more because they can.

19. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

ONe of our local box stores has a 10 for $10 with the 11 free sale about once or even twice a month to pull folks into the stores--sure most of it is crappy high processed stuff, but the last sale had 5lb bag of white potatoes and 3lbs of carrots and 3lbs of onions for a buck--sure enuf they cleared the shelves repeatedly and lucky for me they give out rain checks. As I am gonna go and buy more potatoes and dry some more-(onions too)I have been drying for a while now and potatoes are the one thing that we use dried quite a bit-- and the extra heat from the dehydrator helps keep the house warm.
    The produce guy said that they had done this before and never had the same response to the huge buyouts.
    I usually only buy the stuff for cooking or plain ingredients as we are trying to cut down on the high processed stuff--who know where that stuff is coming from.

20. Woody

Woody Woodchuck

Well, whatever the reason it worked for me too so… 3 more cases of FD just ordered. Cereals, biscuits, pancakes and some FD fruits to mix in. I got a little treat too, one can of the blueberry cheesecake mix. The Ready Store has free shipping for orders over $100! Honeyville is still $4.49 for any size order.